Recipe Juniper Potato Pancake

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:47 PM
Juniper is a rather underused spice. I absolutely love it because it is really so different from other spices. Its the only edible pine berry (I have learned) and it has a resinous pine fragrance which is quite wonderful. I also love anything with potatoes - so I chose this recipe for The Cookbook Game #3. Its easy enough to make and its a great dish for brunch or supper, topped with and egg.

Recipe from The Spice Recipe Book by Rosamond Richardson, a Sainsbury's publication (1988)

fullsizeoutput_5212.jpeg

Ingredients
  • 500g (1 lb) yellow or brown skinned potatoes, peeled and grated coarsely
  • water
  • 25g (1 oz) margarine, plus extra tor greasing
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 8 juniper berries, crushed
  • salt and pepper
Method
  1. Soak the potatoes in cold water for 5 minutes to remove the starch; then rinse them very well, drain and dry them thoroughly in a towel.
  2. Melt the margarine in a heavy non-stick pan and add the oil, and then toss in the potatoes, turning until they are well coated. As the potatoes begin to soften, season them well with salt and pepper and add the crushed juniper berries.
  3. Turn the heat down very low and cover the saucepan with a sheet of greased foil and a lid.
  4. Cook for 30-40 minutes, and then turn the heat up for a few minutes until the potatoes are crisp and brown underneath. Grill the top briefly, and then turn them out on to a hot plate to serve.
N.B. My additions: fried egg & urfa chilli flakes. deep-fried sage leaves

fullsizeoutput_5215.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_520f.jpeg

Interesting. I've only used them for making venison casserole.

Please note that juniper is dangerous for people with some medical conditions and for pregnant, or trying to conceive, women. So don't serve to guests unless you know them well enough!

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that juniper is hallusinagenic

Back
Top Bottom