Just treated myself to this knife

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
7:20 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
As above. A Messermeister Olive Elite 18cm Santoku Knife.
Apparently a knife for life.

http://www.messermeister.com.au/pro...-elite-range/18cm-kullenschliff-santoku-knife

DSC_0237.JPG

It's a very nice knife to handle and feels great.

Chinese Cleaver.jpg

Nice!!

THIS tool has become my right-hand tool in the kitchen! My Chinese cleaver!! Pardon the pun. :wink:

I'm a lefty, but I've become so spoiled with this tool that I very seldom use the French knives! Hah!!

I just checked out the link.

As much as I'd love to have one, that is just too expensive for me!! I'll just have to stick with my Chinese cleaver & chef's knives.

They've done a great job all these years. :wink:

Ok, it sells for $140 at Amazon.com (see the link below).

But still, that is rather expensive. It may be cheaper elsewhere.
I probably have more knives that one can shake a stick at. Even though I LOVE new things if I think that they are worth having, I'll just have to pass up this knife, mainly because I'm on a tight budget, and I gotta have some money put away for when the time comes to move back into I own place.

I want my own place in the city. I feel like I'm living in the country where I am right now. I'm too used to the city life. :wink:

https://www.amazon.com/Messermesite...467634461&sr=8-3&keywords=messermeister+oliva

Last edited:
I want my own place in the city. I feel like I'm living in the country where I am right now. I'm too used to the city life. :wink:
We are just in the process of doing the exact opposite. I have hacked city (and capital city) life for 6 weeks and it got to me. Time to get out. We are in temporary accommodation right now that is ruralish. We have neighbours and its only 15 mins drive into the city centre outside of rush hour (which does actually happen in Canberra!).

A week today we move rurally completely. 5 acres in the middle of a 1000 hectare estate. No obvious neighbours, at least not human anyway. I can't wait. At least this place goes dark and is quiet of human noise which is a relief. I was totally fed up of it not going dark in the apartment we were in, even with black out blinds. I can finally see scenery and not see houses/apartments or use a lift again! I don't really need to worry if I have left the keys in the front door or in the car. bliss.

We are just in the process of doing the exact opposite. I have hacked city (and capital city) life for 6 weeks and it got to me. Time to get out. We are in temporary accommodation right now that is ruralish. We have neighbours and its only 15 mins drive into the city centre outside of rush hour (which does actually happen in Canberra!).

I'm a city boy.

Born and raised in the Roxbury section of Boston. I've lived in the Boston area all of my life. We all were. I've become so spoiled over the years of living in the city! Everything is close by, and for most things, you don't have to drive if you don't want to. Actually, I LOVE living in the city :wink:

A week today we move rurally completely. 5 acres in the middle of a 1000 hectare estate. No obvious neighbours, at least not human anyway. I can't wait. At least this place goes dark and is quiet of human noise which is a relief. I was totally fed up of it not going dark in the apartment we were in, even with black out blinds. I can finally see scenery and not see houses/apartments or use a lift again! I don't really need to worry if I have left the keys in the front door or in the car. bliss.

I'm a city boy.

Born and raised in the Roxbury section of Boston. I've lived in the Boston area all of my life. We all were. I've become so spoiled over the years of living in the city! Everything is close by, and for most things, you don't have to drive if you don't want to. Actually, I LOVE living in the city :wink:
Sadly I have seen all too many people who live in a city (and seen over the last 6 weeks) who think walking more than 500m is impossible and beyond what the human body can do. And they wonder why their health is so poor and they put weight on so easily. They seem to think we are odd for walking into the city centre from where we were staying 2km out. Even walking to the vegan café which was only 800m from our door by the shortest route was deemed 'too far' and yet I was doing it on crutches! The idea that a car is not needed and that they could walk or even cycle just seems to be beyond them. I found it very disheartening tbh. For me, a ride to the shops of say 11km each way is nothing and a nice ride out. Nothing too far or strenuous and under normal circumstances I could have easily have walked that in a couple of hours (one way) if the worst came to the worst. (I did used to walk 5km each way to work and back). OK currently on crutches and rather slow by my old standard (only averaging 4kph now and only managing 1 hour) that is not an option, but it is still a lot further than an awful lot of these city folk I saw think is even possible to be walked! Oh well.

And as for the knife - well it was an essential purchase. We have 2 knives with us. One is a small paring knife roughly 50-80 years old where the blade has a nice bow to it :whistling:. The other is a conventional shaped knife, but the blade is only 2 inches long. The paring knife is 2-3 inches long. We needed a large, good knife. We have one now that will see us through for the rest of our lives (next time we do something like attempt cycling around the world, I will not give my entire global knife set to my brother who was training to be a chef at the time but instead will keep them!)

Sadly I have seen all too many people who live in a city (and seen over the last 6 weeks) who think walking more than 500m is impossible and beyond what the human body can do. And they wonder why their health is so poor and they put weight on so easily. They seem to think we are odd for walking into the city centre from where we were staying 2km out. Even walking to the vegan café which was only 800m from our door by the shortest route was deemed 'too far' and yet I was doing it on crutches! The idea that a car is not needed and that they could walk or even cycle just seems to be beyond them. I found it very disheartening tbh. For me, a ride to the shops of say 11km each way is nothing and a nice ride out. Nothing too far or strenuous and under normal circumstances I could have easily have walked that in a couple of hours (one way) if the worst came to the worst. (I did used to walk 5km each way to work and back). OK currently on crutches and rather slow by my old standard (only averaging 4kph now and only managing 1 hour) that is not an option, but it is still a lot further than an awful lot of these city folk I saw think is even possible to be walked! Oh well.

And as for the knife - well it was an essential purchase. We have 2 knives with us. One is a small paring knife roughly 50-80 years old where the blade has a nice bow to it :whistling:. The other is a conventional shaped knife, but the blade is only 2 inches long. The paring knife is 2-3 inches long. We needed a large, good knife. We have one now that will see us through for the rest of our lives (next time we do something like attempt cycling around the world, I will not give my entire global knife set to my brother who was training to be a chef at the time but instead will keep them!)

I will someday get the knife and try it out, just to see what it's like. But right now, $140 is a lot for a knife. I don't doubt that it may be a good knife though.

When I lived in East Boston, I pretty much walked to the supermarket and other places in the neighborhood. I truly enjoyed it during nice warm weather, since I had that much freedom to do it. I sometimes left the car parked and walked. But I hated grocery shopping because that meant carrying heavy bags of food up 3 flights of stairs to the 4th floor! It was very tedious & backbreaking!! Three trips or more!

Which is why the next apartment that I get, it will either be on the first floor, or if higher, it will be in a building with an elevator. I'm done climbing up stairs to get to an apartment. :mad::headshake::stop:

It can be worrying, people talking about inanimate objects as though they were alive.
Especially knives!

Back
Top Bottom