Just what is a "recipe" anyway?

NailBat

Local time
6:28 PM
Website
pantrymo.com
It sounds like a silly question. A stupid question even. A recipe is just instructions for making a meal. Except it really isn't, and pretending that it is causes a lot of the problems people have with cooking.

If you think recipes are instructions, its easy to then believe that there is a "right" way to cook things, and if you don't follow the rules you don't deserve to say you made that dish. I'm sure nobody here believes that, but this is an extremely widespread view, and who knows how many people have been scared away from even trying to cook because of people like this? If you think recipes are "just instructions", then if a recipe doesn't turn out well, you may assume that you just "can't cook" because isn't cooking as simple as following directions? And on that same note, I've heard a great many people say that they don't even believe they have cooking skill at all, because all they do is follow recipes.

I think most people, after a certain point, start to treat recipes more as starting points, inspiration, or reference. They may choose to follow it exactly, but chances are they'll make slight adjustments, a bit more of this, a bit less of that. So are recipes suggestions? Well, that's more about how they're used, not really what they are.

The modern printed recipe, with its ingredients and amounts laid out separately from its step by step instructions, is a fairly new idea. If you look at some old recipes, they read more like prose, often leaving out key details that are simply assumed to be known. You'll see this same kind of style, though, in recipes that aren't meant for the general public. I'll bet many of you have family recipes written on index cards that may seem hopelessly vague to an outsider, but are clear to those who have grown up with the dish. Some might not even have amounts, because the people making them have been doing it so long that they don't even know exactly how much to use. They just use what feels right.

When you think about it, humanity has been cooking long before it's been writing, so a majority of cooking knowledge in history did not come from reading recipes. Even today, can you really say you "learned" cooking just by reading recipes? Probably not - more likely you learned by trying things out yourself, but more importantly, from watching others cook. Today, that could mean watching Youtube, but throughout history that meant watching someone else cook.

This brings us to what a recipe actually is - it's a description of what somebody was doing in the kitchen that resulted in a meal. Imagine you are tasked with recording a recipe that a chef has simply memorized. You have a notepad and a pen, and you're told to write things down as they're happening. Would you write down every time the chef picked up a spoon, or record the angle of the pan's handle, or trace their steps through the kitchen? No, you'd be aware those are not important to the description of what's happening. But it's not so clear what is important information, and what is simply details that can be assumed. If you knew how to sear meat, you could just write that the chef "browned the chicken", even though the act of browning is made up of many parts that a beginner probably wouldn't know. If you watched Jacque Pepin make an omelette without knowing much about cooking, you'd probably just write that he seems to simply be stirring eggs in a pan. You wouldn't pick up on the nuances of his technique.

All recipes are descriptions, but what details are included and what aren't depends heavily on the author and the audience. If you specified every last detail, some enthusiastic beginners might appreciate the guidance but many would be put off by the seeming complexity. Don't specify enough details, and advanced cooks will intuitively know how to fill in the blanks but beginners will be lost. It's not even easy for a recipe author to tell what's obvious to their readers - its the "Curse of Knowledge", when you know something, it becomes almost impossible to understand what its like to NOT know that thing. This results in a ton of "Easy" recipes that are only easy to the author, who already has an arsenal of cooking knowledge at their disposal.

"Recipes as descriptions" is also a means of telling your progression as a cook. If you're a beginner who hasn't yet learned techniques and flavor pairings, you'd only be able to describe a recipe by listing out the exact ingredients and exact steps. As you pick up techniques, however, you can start to say "Oh, that's just X", and describe several steps and ingredients with a single term. Once you build up your cooking vocabulary, its quite easy to look at a recipe and describe it in just a few words. There's a chance you could miss an important detail, but in cooking many roads often lead to the same destination.

A fascinating philosophical exposition! :happy:
A recipe can be something which simply give you an idea of how to prepare a dish, but can also be something carved in stone.
I´ve always thought James Beard got it right when he said: " It´s a good idea to follow a recipe exactly the first time you make it. After that, you´re on your own". That´s what I tend to do, nine times out of ten. I´ll give you an example. A few months ago, I made some shortbread. The recipe was basically, 100 gms flour, 100 gms butter, 50 gms sugar, so that´s what I did. It almost fell apart when I tried to eat it.
Then a friend said " I´ve always made it 3:2:1 - 3 parts flour, 2 parts butter, 1 part sugar. So I followed that; much better texture, but not buttery enough for me. The third time I made it, I increased the amount of butter to about 3: 21/4: 1, and that worked for me. The end result is not necessarily what´s written down, but what YOU like.
When I started my conserves company, 17 years ago, I began writing down my recipes in a notebook (I´ve now got 5...). Since I was looking to sell my products to the public, "carved in stone" came into the equation. I´d make a chutney, or marmalade, or pickle, write down every single ingredient in detail, then add "tasting notes" at the end: " too much salt", "not enough garlic", "cut back on the vinegar", etc. This continued until I was absolutely satisfied with the recipe, and then it was not changed, ever. I wanted my public to enjoy the same flavour, time and time again, so no tweaking allowed. I truly despise those multinational food giants that change a formula and then try to dupe the public by saying " New, Fresher Flavour!" or " Reduced Fat!", because that means your favourite sauce or chocolate bar is going to taste different, probably for financial, rather than taste reasons!
As for being dogmatic about a recipe, I´ve got mixed feelings. Let´s look at two examples: Fettucine Alfredo and Carpaccio. The original Alfredo recipe was fettucine with loads of butter and Parmesan, nothing else. No cream, no half-and-half, no garlic, and absolutely no mushrooms, chicken or any other abominations.:stop::stop: Try the original version and you will be enchanted. Try the "modern" versions, and they may taste good, but they´re NOT Alfredo. Same goes for Carpaccio, invented in Harry´s Bar in Venice. Inspired by the Baroque artist, it´s a simple dish of unfrozen shell of beef, cut paper- thin, drizzled with a homemade mayonnaise enhanced by Worcestershire sauce and a touch of lemon . Beautiful, simple, very tasty indeed. So what´s with this adding mushrooms, garlic, pesto sauce, rocket leaves, eh?
Having said that, recipes evolve, whether we like it or not. Some we like, some we don´t, but I do object when I go to a restaurant (and here´s another example) and order penne all´arrabiata and get bacon and ham in it, or ask for Chicken Kiev and it´s breaded, deep-fried and filled with cheese.

I should add that I say the above with respect. There are many interesting and intelligent comments in the first two posts.

For me personally, recipes are simply ideas from which I can draw inspiration but then I'm an experienced cook. For 'learners' clear and concise recipes are really important. There is nothing worse than a huge list of 'instructions' or 'steps' to confuse and put the reader off. Writing recipes isn't easy. To write a clear recipe you need to understand how to précis rather than write every little step - yet at the same time you need to include essential aspects of the method.

Last edited:
I prefer to regard recipes as guides, not as hard and fast instructions to be precisely adhered to.

I mainly follow recipes, though I'm sure there are some things I make from memory, I've made them so often, and over time, maybe they've changed a little here and there, but I don't realize it.

Some changes, though, I don't really count as fundamentally affecting a recipe, or maybe if it's a recipe of 15 ingredients, and I change one thing, even if it is very noticeable in the final dish, I don't really feel I've earned the right to say, "Oh, yeah, I've really made this my own."

I like following recipes, though. It removes a lot of the stress of cooking. If I didn't have a recipe, I'd forever be thinking, "Did I add enough of this? Should I have even added that?" - I don't like a lot of experimentation, because when the cooking stops, I have to eat it or go hungry, because I'm sure not going to turn around and start over. Recipes don't guarantee success, but they sure up my average.

The downside to liking recipes...I'm terrible at making the same thing twice, even if I love it, because I'm always looking for the next recipe.

However, there are times when recipes must always be the same.

In a professional setting that's pretty well essential, I think. Customers don't expect to each get a different concoction when they've all ordered the same thing in the same restaurant (if you see what I mean). Also in a professional kitchen, staff need to be 'singing to the same hymn sheet' or it would be chaos!

For certain desserts, cakes and pastries, I do think following a recipe is essential, mainly because precise quantities are crucial.

For certain desserts, cakes and pastries, I do think following a recipe is essential, mainly because precise quantities are crucial.
For this reason, I say my wife is more of a baker than a cook. She follows recipes to the letter and gets flustered if she doesn't have an ingredient. I expect this of her, she's an accountant after all 😅
I however echo many sentiments above that a recipe is just a guide, and I enjoy the challenge of substitution if the recipe has an ingredient I cannot find or cannot digest.

Recipes are either reminders for the chef who wrote them, or instructions for other people, who are cooking this dish. In a more dramatic view recipes are even lifesaver, because they show you, how to treat food, so you won't end up making suicide or poison yourself.

I'm a person, who has problems following a recipe, it's not with all, but I guess I'm not cautious enough while reading most of the recipes and then I end up, making small or big mistakes. What I like about recipes, is the effort some people put in them, with all these nice photos, extra hints and small stories.

For this reason, I say my wife is more of a baker than a cook. She follows recipes to the letter and gets flustered if she doesn't have an ingredient. I expect this of her, she's an accountant after all 😅
I however echo many sentiments above that a recipe is just a guide, and I enjoy the challenge of substitution if the recipe has an ingredient I cannot find or cannot digest.

This is probably why I mainly cook savoury dishes. I'm no 'pastry cook'.

Even today, can you really say you "learned" cooking just by reading recipes?
My experience of cooking started with my grandmother, then my aunt who was an executive chef of a hotel. Helping my grandmother when I was very young with peeling potatoes and onions, fetching the eggs from the coup, that kind of thing and when I was older helping flip burgers in the restaurant over a few summers that my Aunt opened after her stint in the hotel.

Many, many years later and what I would consider the critical time in my cooking journey after I decided I wanted to cook with more purpose which starts with preparing and understanding the countless formulated recipes that exist which allows a basic understanding of the cooking language, methodology and why things are done a certain way.

My Aunt gave me a cookbook of a French Chef Louis Diat who was the executive chef of the Ritz Carlton Hotel in New York City early in the 20th century. It was a thick book with an introduction to the brigade in a hotel to the equipment for a home cook and definitions of cooking methods etc. Recipes for all courses, a few hundred I would say and I started in the front and worked my way back, with many distractions I would say, wandering around the book cooking for the many occasions that crop up in life.
Cooking is a learned skill, and much like any endeavor there needs to be a reference to draw from. This was my reference and is required if your going to be a chef, which I am, but also as a good cook. Duplicating or improving upon a classic recipe for example is what recognizes you as a either a bad cook, a mediocre cook or a good cook, period.

I'LL stop there.....:)

Last edited:
Yes, and although I was a bit long-winded up there, I agree. However, there are times when recipes must always be the same.
Most baking in my experience, requires a formula. I do wing a lot of stuff otherwise...and lately I have found some leniency in baking as well.

Back
Top Bottom