Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Website
mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com
K~Girl's Namasu

Ingredients:
1 Hot House or English Cucumber, unpeeled and thinly sliced
1 large Carrot, peel & thinly sliced
1 Daikon (Japanese Radish) or Oriental White Radish, peel & thinly sliced
1 Tbsp. Sea Salt (or Kosher Salt, which ever you have)
1 inch piece of fresh Ginger Root, peeled & course chopped
½ C. Rice Wine Vinegar
½ C. granulated Sugar
Water as needed

Instructions:
In a small saucepan, heat the vinegar until bubbles just start to appear in the pan; remove from the heat and add the sugar, stirring to dissolve. Stir in the Ginger and set aside to cool completely.

In a large glass bowl, toss the vegetables with the Sea Salt and set aside for 15 minutes. Rinse and drain well, pressing out as much water as possible.
Return the veggies to the bowl and pour the vinegar mixture in; add enough cold water to cover the vegetables. Stir well and cover.

Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Serve cold, using a slotted spoon to drain away most of the liquid.
< edit - this side dish can be served at room temperature >

namasu.jpeg

*Cook’s Note:
I like to make the veggies look appealing. By using a paring knife, I notch out “V” cuts along the length of each root vegetable to create a flower shape once sliced. I save those bits and put those into the bowl to marinate as well. And don't slice the veg too thin, you want some crunch.

IMG_4276.JPG
IMG_4322.JPG
IMG_4327.JPG

The last time we were home in Hawaii, I found these flower shaped cutters.
FUN!
This recipe is extremely customizable. Add more water if you prefer a less pungent vinegar flavor. I like lots of fresh Ginger root in little slivers.

Last edited:
If this is Hawaiian then I think I like Hawaiian. It looks vibrant and pretty and its pickled (I love pickled anything). The cutter is adorable. I'm thinking this will keep almost indefinitely in a sterile jar? Also, what would you traditionally serve this with?

If this is Hawaiian then I think I like Hawaiian. It looks vibrant and pretty and its pickled (I love pickled anything). The cutter is adorable. I'm thinking this will keep almost indefinitely in a sterile jar? Also, what would you traditionally serve this with?
I like Namasu served with some other veggies, like steamed purple Sweet Potatoes, Baby Bok Choi, steamed Rice (we prefer White "sticky" Rice) and if you like some sort of protein, grilled Chicken, Fish, Beef Pork or Tofu.

shoyu chicken with namasu.jpg

This is a plate I served up with Shoyu Chicken, think of braised Chicken thighs in Soy Sauce, Sugar, Sake, Ginger, Garlic and broth.

Namasu is a light pickle, like Vietnamese pickled veggies sort of.
And yes, this side dish can last a week in the refrigerator.

Back
Top Bottom