Recipe Kadai Mushroom (revisited)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:35 PM
As promised, last night I cooked this dish, Kadai Mushroom posted by @swalia for the CookingBites Recipe Challenge. And here it is:
DSCF2757.jpg

Photographed today in natural light.

I followed the recipe faithfully except for the following minor changes:
  • I used 3/4 tin of chopped tomatoes instead of fresh or tomato puree.
  • I used 1 Tbsp of garlic/ginger paste not 1 tsp as stated in the recipe. I think that is a typo in the original recipe!
The Verdict
This is a method of making curry with which I'm very familiar - except that I normally add the ground spices directly after cooking out the garlic/ginger paste. I'm not sure whether putting them in a little later makes any difference. The dish certainly looks appetising and the sauce (gravy) is robustly spiced without being very hot. But obviously, the heat of this dish will depend in the strength of the dried chillies used.

I am not particularly a fan of mushrooms with bell peppers. I think its because the peppers are quite sweet , almost fruity and I think mushrooms work better with muskier flavours. I may try making this using aubergines (eggplants) instead of peppers, next time.

Anyway, than you @swalia for posting an authentic Indian recipe! I enjoyed making it.

DSCF2756.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! You actually tried it!!!
The pictures of the dish are so tempting. I hope you enjoyed eating it.

Wow! You actually tried it!!!
The pictures of the dish are so tempting. I hope you enjoyed eating it.
Absolutely! That's why you came joint second in the Recipe Challenge. Well done! And my partner commented on the subtlety of the spicing.

Back
Top Bottom