Karioka

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
9:41 PM
Nope, I don't mean having a badly-produced instrumental to a popular song play while you read lyrics off a television screen and try to sing into a microphone.

I've really been trying to eat better, cutting out white bread and white rice and pasta and all those empty calories--and then trying not to starve by chowing down on proteins instead, because all those carbs are, after digestion, apparently indistinguishable by our body from candy.

But I can't actually resist candy.

Especially the ones made out of rice, sticky rice.

So... karioka. It's a street food, glutinous rice flour balls encrusted with sugar and run through bamboo skewers...totally empty calories. I had to have a couple today because I hadn't seen the white ones before, which the vendor told me had jackfruit in it because some people like jackfruit.

That's what got me wondering about how to make variations, like...maybe mango karioka? When I looked up a recipe...it turns out that this is actually flavored with coconut milk and has coconut shavings added to the dough. And it isn't, as I initially thought, deep-fried with sugar to encrust it like caramelized bananas are. They're still deep-fried, but for a shorter time and covered in the brown sugar glaze separately.

It's still a candy, but it was a pleasant surprise to find that it wasn't quite such a simple recipe.

Back
Top Bottom