dimitarpachev

Local time
4:19 PM
Website
www.mobilepizza-chef.co.uk
Bulgarian Kavarma
There are many recipes and variations of this dish Kavarma in Bulgaria, but traditionally we use pork meat - there also exists beef Kavarma, chicken versions and a mix of all the meat. Kavurma is one of the most delicious Bulgarian dishes. This is the original recipe, but I prefer chicken meat or a mixture.

Ingredients:
1kg pork meat
6 red peppers, sliced. Bulgarian peppers are best, sometimes I mix with one green pepper
5 large onions, sliced
2 tomatoes, sliced - Bulgarian Pink tomato is the best, vine tomato will be OK
1/3 cup white wine
Chubritza Savory (summer savory) the queen of Bulgarian herbs
1 cup sliced mushrooms
a sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley
half cup sunflower oil
salt and black pepper

Method
  1. Cut the meat into small pieces. Fry the meat to golden at a high temperature. Add the onions and continue to fry until the onions are tender.
  2. Add the sliced mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes, wine, pepper, salt, summer savory and paprika (if you like spicy) and a splash of warm water. After a few minutes put everything in a large earthenware bowl and bake for one and half hours at 180°C.
  3. When the dish is ready you can put on top a few eggs. Wait a few more minutes for the eggs to be cooked. Serve hot with sprinkle finely chopped onions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you @dimitarpachev. I will try this dish although I'm not sure I can obtain summer savory! I need to substitute...
You can buy it easily online with no problem. If not substitute winter savoury. I used to be able to buy it dried from my local health food shop as well, when I was back in the UK as well as using The Spiceworks based out of Hereford iirc. I used to use them for all sorts of other spices as well. An excellent store!
https://www.thespiceworks.co.uk/product/savoury-dried-herb/

I am lucky enough to be able to grow winter savoury here in Australia. (The main difference is one is a periannual (winter savoury) the other an annual (summer savoury). I had to grow it from seed back in the UK.

Thanks for posting the recipe! How big are the two tomatoes?
Normal size vine tomato.Also, you can use peeled tomato about 350/400 gr.
Thank you @dimitarpachev. I will try this dish although I'm not sure I can obtain summer savory! I need to substitute...
Send me your postcode and I will send you savoury home made.If you want I can send you a few different kinds of my dry herbs to try itBest regards

Send me your postcode and I will send you savoury home made.If you want I can send you a few different kinds of my dry herbs to try it. Best regards

That is so kind! I'll have a look in the garden centre to see if they have any as a plant first - I just thought though - you do mean the leaves and not the seeds go into the dish?

Ok - now have some savoury! I found some dried in a local Turkish shop. I have a whole list of dishes I have said I'll make so I might not do this until later next week. I'll probably use chicken.

Back
Top Bottom