Keeping Your Tacos Together

Puggles

Veteran
Local time
3:00 PM
How do you guys get your tacos to stay in place when you're making/done making them?

I’ve actually found the answer to be in the shell, not in any particular assembly or preparation method.

The standard corn tortilla shells available at grocery stores (like Old El Paso), they have no give. They’re thick, but they’re brittle.

A little while ago, I happened upon these:

Never heard of them, so I bought them. Paper thin, but they’re not brittle, they stay together, like a restaurant taco does.

Now they’re the only ones I’ll use. Makes all the difference to me.

Griddle the tortillas in a bit of oil until they are crispy but still have some give and don't break. A bit of cheese on top while frying also helps with this and is always awesome.

I mean like not having them fall over and spill out for plating purposes. Is there some secret contraption or holder thingy?

I mean like not having them fall over and spill out for plating purposes. Is there some secret contraption or holder thingy?
Yeah, there are all sorts of those. Just Google “taco holders” and you’ll be spoiled for choice! 🌮 🌮 🌮

When I go to my Carniceria and order a street Taco, this is how its served
IMG_5547.JPG

But when I make Tacos at home, I use fresh Flour Tortillas, pass them over the gas stovetop flame to toast it, then two up against each other and fill.
IMG_5389.JPG

It's then up to the diner how they want to attack :laugh:

I´d also advise not to overfill them, although there´s nothing quite like chomping down a taco near La Reforma and getting your hands covered with onions, salsa and juice!!

Back
Top Bottom