Keto diet

Lady XCII

Local time
4:42 PM
[Mod.edit: This post and following few have been moved from an older thread (MG)]

I am doing the keto diet. I do not miss fast food. I do miss pasta and bread I would like to learn to make keto bread and pasta with coconut flour or almond flour. I am thinking about staying in this diet but I will up my carbs to where I won't lose or gain weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am doing the keto diet as well. I do not miss fast food. I do miss pasta and bread I would like to learn to make keto bread and pasta with coconut flour or almond flour. I am thinking about staying in this diet but I will up my carbs to where I won't lose or gain weight
Carbs don't dictate weight lose or gain, calories do. The keto diet is one of the most misunderstood diets that I've seen in a long time. Anyway, good luck with your weight loss journey.

Keto, Atkins and other Diets fall into that fallacious reasoning category called "fad diets." These usually result in some quick weight loss of perhaps around 20 pounds, usually all water. And then later, the people who try them gain back the weight and more because the body reacts to a sort of starvation that it seeks to counter by storing up more fats than ever. That's how the fad diets fail. It's almost better to avoid dieting all together, or so it would seem.

The best and most successful diets are by the numbers, call them 'Numbers Diets', the numbers being calorie counts. The proper name then would be Calorie Count Diets.

Calories are constantly being burned in the human body, even when resting. Exercise burns more calories, of course. Calories are added by the foods and beverages the body takes in. In most people, the at rest weight will remain constant, despite the intakes and burns. This is because the body regulates its weight.

When the body experiences starvation, it reacts by adjusting that at rest weight - upwards.

What that indicates is that weight loss should not even be attempted to be an 'as much as can be done' race. It must be subtle and slow paced, but steadily downward. This ensures that the body is not shocked by what it senses as starvation. This is the best advice for weight loss.

How does one do Calorie Count regulation?

First, it doesn't really matter what you eat. What matters is the adjustment in calories burned and calories taken in. Therefore, you can eat from all the food groups and get a healthy intake.

Second, you need to calculate your 'at rest' normal Calorie Burn. This is the magic number of Calories that your body burns when it is doing nothing special in terms of additional exertion. You can look into things like Body Mass Index (BMI) on your own, but tables exist for Adults and Children based on Age, Height and current Weight.

Third, you need to make adjustments. These are planned adjustments and not just random. You increase your Calorie Burn with more exercise and decrease you Calorie Intake by choosing the foods and amounts that you eat. You need to keep Calorie Logs, both for your regulation and references for the Calories in the foods you eat.

IMPORTANT! Remember not to make it a race, pitting yourself against some overly ambitious attempt to loose large amounts of weight quickly. Don't weight yourself daily. Do it monthly so that you can see a difference, but aren't in a frenetic race to loose large amounts of weight. Do NOT shock your body in a way that it will sense starvation. Make your weight loss gradual and slow, but sure.

It is important to understand that a successful diet, by the numbers, requires some behavioral changes. Habits need to be broken. Some of those eating habits are deep rooted psychologically. But none-the-less, the habits need to be modified to be successful. It may be necessary to be continuous in your monitoring of your Calorie adjustments, for a long time - years.

Good Luck!
Actually, calorie count diets don't necessarily work, either. Personally, having to count while planning my meals would drive me up a wall.

I haven't specifically tried keto, but I naturally gravitate to low carb eating. One isn't starving oneself on a proper keto plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carbs don't dictate weight lose or gain, calories do. The keto diet is one of the most misunderstood diets that I've seen in a long time. Anyway, good luck with your weight loss journey.
For me yes. I have tried to cut calories as well exercise. I gained more weight. With keto don't exercise and I lost 55lbs in the last 6 months. It's not for everyone that's why I suggested op try out couple of recipes first to see if this diet is for him/her

George has battled obesity his entire, adult life. His goal is 220 lbs. - still overweight but not obese for his age and body type. He has reached 225 once. His high was 365 lbs. Name the diet and he has probably tried it - WW, Paleo, Keto, Calorie Counting .... on and on. He has had Bariatric Surgery - Gastric Sleeve. Years ago he went to a Diet Dr. He was prescribed appetite suppressants - speed. That was a hot mess. The Dr.'s practice was shut down not long after.
G's current weight is 265 lbs. - seriously obese.
I have not been to a Dr. in over 5 years. I saw a cardiologist last week and have an appointment for test on Tuesday. I have an appointment with a Dr. of Internal Medicine on the 27th. If I like her she will be my Family Practitioner. I am 20 lbs. overweight. I am hoping that the new Dr. has a Nutritionist affiliated with her practice. If not I will ask her for a referral. A nutritionist designs a lifestyle plan for weight loss and maintenance based on individual needs and any health issues. Notice I said LIFESTYLE, not diet.
That's my unsolicited 2 cents.

For me yes. I have tried to cut calories as well exercise. I gained more weight. With keto don't exercise and I lost 55lbs in the last 6 months. It's not for everyone that's why I suggested op try out couple of recipes first to see if this diet is for him/her
All human beings are regulated to the laws of thermodynamics and the reason you gained more weight is because you simply consumed more food that your body required and I would chalk up the weight to a lack of proper calories counting. Controlled studies show most people underestimate by just over 400 calories, and that's when they knew they were in a study for that purpose.

What low carb does do to facilitate what appears to be easy weight loss is it's satiating effect. Basically people don't feel hungry and sometimes even forget to eat, and that's it, that's the magic. It works for me and I've been lower carb for about a decade. Actual nutritional ketosis is a tough place to get to and most people (99%, no lie) that say they're on a keto diet are no where near an actual keto diet where they're eating 80% of their calories from dietary fat and around 10% protein because if you eat more protein than that it will kick most out of ketosis because protein is insulinogenic which means the pancreas will produce insulin kicking the person out of nutritional ketosis. Most can't maintain ketosis or even low carb for extended periods of time which is about 6 months and is no different than any other diet including calorie counting, they're all hard to maintain and the reason is simply the fact that to maintain an eating pattern that is sustainable there needs to be a lifestyle change that includes the foods a person consumes....The dieting industry is like the wild west due to the fact that it's complicated and people tend to appeal to authority. anyway I wish you luck and hope it works out for you.

We will see. I love this diet. when I was calorie counting I stopped eating fast food, smaller portions, ate 2-3 times a day. less fat as well as exercising I still got more weight gain.
I feel better on this diet as well. Like I have said this diet isn't for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom