Kid-safe chopping tools? Maybe with plastic blades or something?

ChowDownBob

Supersize Me!
Local time
5:12 PM
Been reading some of the threads in here and there are some great and ingenious tools around, but I wondered if anyone knows of some kid-safe chopping tools? Maybe with plastic blades that can chop soft vegetables or fruits, but won't go through skin and bone if the little darlings aren't looking at what they are doing (as they often tend to do).

I was somewhat inspired to check / ask after seeing a sort of horse-shoe shaped device in the local supermarket for chopping salads; it had a green handle and as you pushed down these plastic blades sort of sprung down and moved to do the chopping, and then sprung back again as you lifted it. They looked pretty kid-safe and then I got to thinking if there are other, similar devices that might be useful for kids to help out without endangering themselves?

How old are the kids?
For what it's worth, I wouldn't start them out on a plastic knife. Just teach them knife safety.
My reason is once they graduate to a real knife, they won't always remember it can actually hurt them and might really injure themselves. Check out the show Man vs Child. Those kids have been using real knives since they were about 5.
Do keep the blades sharp as a dull blade will do more damage if an accident happens.

Now being the klutz that I am and with slightly bad hands, I love my food chopper with the circular blades. Note the blades are very sharp but there is a plastic piece to insert it into the chopper.
Just use extreme caution when washing and drying the blades. (Adult or child) I've nicked myself more than once.

But don't start out with the safety stuff, just teach them knife skills and buy them finger guards or do like my mom did me, get a cut resistant glove. (Note klutzy adult here)

My best advice is until the child is comfortable in the kitchen and knows all the safety precautions, adult supervision is imperative.

https://www.amazon.com/SHINKODA-SK-2000E-4-Cup-Manual-Processor/dp/B014ZJ3JO0/
It also comes with a vegetable guard.

Kids' Safety Knives..jpg

How about THESE?

Availible at Amazon.com. :wink:

If it'll cut a raw carrot, it'll cut your finger. No problems, designed for cutting after all.

Worth remembering, that they'll apply more force to get the work done, if the blade doesn't cut first time.

And get them some decent oven gloves. I wish I had worn mine a few minutes ago when the cooling rack slipped and I caught the edge of a hot cookie sheet. I said a few choice words and my finger is still hurting even after the cold water treatment.

And get them some decent oven gloves. I wish I had worn mine a few minutes ago when the cooling rack slipped and I caught the edge of a hot cookie sheet. I said a few choice words and my finger is still hurting even after the cold water treatment.
I'm covered in burn marks!

If it'll cut a raw carrot, it'll cut your finger. No problems, designed for cutting after all.

Worth remembering, that they'll apply more force to get the work done, if the blade doesn't cut first time.

The op wants the kids to cut soft foods, which is the right way to start. And teaching them to use a sawing action is also the right way. We do that in our Early Years setting.

Ages 3 - 9 - although the 9-year-old can probably safely be shown how to use a real knife, supervised one-to-one, when the three of them get together in the same kitchen space they get excited, so I'd rather they all had safer knives and stuck to cutting softer things. That way they can enjoy themselves safely, and not have to be watched like a hawk. They can be graduated, one-to-one, onto real knives as they get older. :happy:

Thanks for the links / suggestions, I'll have a look at those. :)

That age range makes it a bit tough as the younger ones will want to do what the older ones do.

Although I know of one instance where the younger one was allowed to use a saw and the older one wasn't. Parents reasoning the older one was and still is a klutz. The children were 6 and 11.

Or here is another idea. If they want to make whatever, have an adult cut anything that needs cut first.
Ziploc bags are wonderful.
This might come in handy if the children decide to surprise you. Not so much fun if they decide to surprise you with a cake and they don't use a bowl. Luckily the two of them ages 5 and 2 hadn't gotten out the wet ingredients.
There are some wonderful kid friendly recipes out there.

Safety Gloves..jpg

You can also get THESE.

Safety gloves that help protect their little hands from getting cut during food prep. :wink:

Not sure if safety gloves come in small enough sizes for the very young ones however ? Try a serrated blade on a smaller knife - it can still do damage but possibly less than a very sharp smooth edge which gives little warning until the damage is done - the serrated blade hurts immediately and hopefully the cut [if there has to be one] will be smaller
Just a thought - the older ones [and I mean 6 or over - I remember having a boy scout pen knife at that age and seem to have survived quite well] are surely able to understand [and should be allowed to] that some things can hurt. After all at what point is it 'right' to allow them to realise that they have to take care of themselves ? This world can be a dangerous place and they have to be allowed to understand that. Of course I'm not advocating giving a four year old a packet of razor blades but even quite a young child with a tiny bit of experience can understand what you mean when [for example] you tell them to keep away from a broken window. They will come across sharp things in their life with no-one there to protect them - with a little 'preparation' ie your kitchen advice such things will not be a problem.

Not sure if safety gloves come in small enough sizes for the very young ones however ? Try a serrated blade on a smaller knife - it can still do damage but possibly less than a very sharp smooth edge which gives little warning until the damage is done - the serrated blade hurts immediately and hopefully the cut [if there has to be one] will be smaller
Just a thought - the older ones [and I mean 6 or over - I remember having a boy scout pen knife at that age and seem to have survived quite well] are surely able to understand [and should be allowed to] that some things can hurt. After all at what point is it 'right' to allow them to realise that they have to take care of themselves ? This world can be a dangerous place and they have to be allowed to understand that. Of course I'm not advocating giving a four year old a packet of razor blades but even quite a young child with a tiny bit of experience can understand what you mean when [for example] you tell them to keep away from a broken window. They will come across sharp things in their life with no-one there to protect them - with a little 'preparation' ie your kitchen advice such things will not be a problem.
Agreeing. Since a super sharp blade you don't notice until the cut starts burning, and a dull blade can do damage due to the pressure applied.
Heck teach them all knife safety with the rule that only the oldest one gets to use it.
Oh and tell them from someone with a damaged finger, always keep an eye on the knife. Put it down if something catches your eye. The worst part was getting in trouble with mom because I didn't call her immediately. And if they do get a small cut, have an adult look at it right then. Trust me kiddo when I say that you are not a good judge of how bad you are hurt.
It might be a nick or it might be something that requires stitches. Note: if I had told mom right away, I wouldn't have been grounded from knives for a bit and still teased to this day.
I needed 7 stitches as it turned out.

Back
Top Bottom