Knife advice

Speaking of mandolins and getting OT a bit -

My Dad was a carpenter; I was brought up with knives, chisels, saws etc.
I joined the Scouts, and learned how to use & sharpen knives & axes
I made model planes, and still do, using craft knives & scalpels
I did biology at school & university, using a dissecting kit that included scalpels
I have always been interested in cooking, using various knives, and after I was made redundant in my 40s I retrained as a chef, which I did till I retired
One of my hobbies is knife making

Yes, I've had minor cuts, nicks, and scratches over the years, but the only serious cut I've had was when using a mandolin in a professional kitchen - never again!

When I was a boy every kid in the village had a knife, but we didn't feel the need to go around stabbing people; a bit of whittling & the usual stuff, and the most dangerous thing we did was a game of Splitty

Paul Sellers is an excellent carpenter, mostly using hand tools; Search YouTube for his videos
On one of them he's sharpening & discussing chisels, and makes the comment that he's cut himself more times trying to put a guard back on a chisel than he ever has when leaving them off

Speaking of mandolins and getting OT a bit -

My Dad was a carpenter; I was brought up with knives, chisels, saws etc.
I joined the Scouts, and learned how to use & sharpen knives & axes
I made model planes, and still do, using craft knives & scalpels
I did biology at school & university, using a dissecting kit that included scalpels
I have always been interested in cooking, using various knives, and after I was made redundant in my 40s I retrained as a chef, which I did till I retired
One of my hobbies is knife making

Yes, I've had minor cuts, nicks, and scratches over the years, but the only serious cut I've had was when using a mandolin in a professional kitchen - never again!

When I was a boy every kid in the village had a knife, but we didn't feel the need to go around stabbing people; a bit of whittling & the usual stuff, and the most dangerous thing we did was a game of Splitty

Paul Sellers is an excellent carpenter, mostly using hand tools; Search YouTube for his videos
On one of them he's sharpening & discussing chisels, and makes the comment that he's cut himself more times trying to put a guard back on a chisel than he ever has when leaving them off

I was an art major (design/photography) back when graphic design layouts were real cut and paste. The tool we all had to use the most was an X-Acto knife. Almost everyone I know in school sliced off a finger tip at some point, but somehow, I never did (knock on wood).

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 4.17.52 AM.jpg

CD

Back
Top Bottom