Knife advice

FoodIsFuel

Local time
5:08 PM
I am in the market for a new knife (paring) and am a little confused about what I should be looking for

I don't know what your budget it, but I have been really surprised by how good Victorinox Fibrox knives are, especially for their reasonable prices.

I like a relatively thin paring knife, since a paring knife isn't going to do heavy duty cutting. A thin blade is easier for delicate cutting, IMO.

CD

I never really pay much attention to my paring knives. I got several, just picked them up left right and centre :wink:
(But then I got loads of knives as it is. Cheapest is probably my kiwi Thai knife, most expensive my CarboNext chef's knife)

I agree with victorinox being a good brand. So is F. Dick (pretty similar, I would say)

Vote No. 3 for Victorinox.
When My wife was in Switzerland a couple of years ago, she brought back 3 sets of Victorinox: a small serrated knife, a longer serrated knife, a paring knife and a Paris knife. Easy maintenance, keep sharp, very light.

The Victorinox are a good value but suffer from soft steel. If you can afford them, buy high end Japanese knives like the gyuto you see shown in the little picture to your left. The Japanese make the best kitchen cutlery on the planet. Why? Because of thin hard blades. You know why razor blades cut so well. The reason is that they are thin. If you use well hardened steel at around RC60 or so, you can make the blade thin, grind it to an acute angle at the edge and still avoid having the edge fail against a cutting board. Thin, hard, sharp blades are truly amazing in terms of performance. These knives will perform circles around American or Euro knives. I have to be careful how sharp I make them or they will get stuck in the cutting board. You just need to be prepared to spend $200 or more for a high performance gyuto (chef knife.) Such a gyuto will last a lifetime and is actually a real value given the quality and performance.

Look for brands like Masamoto and Misono for Western style gyutos. They have thin hard blades and correct balance unlike the American and Euro knives. These are stainless steel knives with Western style full tang handles. The knife you see pictured has a traditional Japanese handle and was made in Osaka from high speed tool steel. I have several made from Japanese white and blue carbon steel that are wonderful performers but not stainless. The blades turn mottled black with use. Not a problem for me but some cooks don't like that and prefer stainless steel.

There are some high performance knives made by American and European custom knifemakers but they are beautiful and very expensive and don't really outperform Japanese factory knives from Seki City or Osaka, the two Japanses knife centers. Consider a Japanese gyuto for the most important knife in your kitchen and you can compromise with the other knives.

When it comes to chopping things, you could say that I'm a lazy jerk, but I don't care. Hah!! This over-sized gadget helps get me out of the kitchen super-fast, & who is looking for a faster way out of thye kitchen when it comes to prep time?!! Hah!!!! :whistling:
Oxo Larger Chopper.jpg

When it comes to chopping things, you could say that I'm a lazy jerk, but I don't care. Hah!! This over-sized gadget helps get me out of the kitchen super-fast, & who is looking for a faster way out of thye kitchen when it comes to prep time?!! Hah!!!! :whistling:
View attachment 109817
I think I might be able to chop what that thing chops with a knife and do it faster than you can clean that thing. :wink:

I think I might be able to chop what that thing chops with a knife and do it faster than you can clean that thing. :wink:
This thing, as you might call it, chops things pretty fast, I run it under running warm water without any detergent, & it gets clean easily before anything hardens on it, in record time!!!! :whistling:

Last edited:
I think a lot depends on your sharpening skills.
The victorinoxes of this world are easy to sharpen and steel
The Japanese gyuto's less so. The "steel" needs to be ceramic.
I got a variety of knives. From Japanese carbonext, to victorinox, to F dick, no brand and Kiwi Thai knives.
They all work.

Find one that you are comfortable with.

Recently, I find myself using my less than 5 U$ kiwi knives more often than my 150+ U$ carbonext

If it works for you then it is good. To each his own tool. :)

Yeah, in cases like these, you do what you know best. To me, it's a godsend!! I used to use a knife, or a Chinese chef's knife (pitured below) in the past, especially for cutting things on the bias, & still do at times, but the "slap" chopper wins unanimously!! :whistling:
Chinese Chef's Knife..jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, in cases like these, you do what you know best. To me, it's a godsend!! I used to use a knife, or a Chinese chef's knife (pitured below) in the past, especially for cutting things on the bias, & still do at times, but the "slap" chopper wins unanimously!! :whistling:View attachment 109852
I don't fine thd Chinese style cleaver to be all that useful for me either. I have three of them and rarely use them. My favorite among the three has curved edge. The one you pictured looks a lot lighter than the ones I have. I would probably use it more often if mine were like that. The gyutos are light and sharp. Hard to beat that combination.

I don't fine thd Chinese style cleaver to be all that useful for me either. I have three of them and rarely use them. My favorite among the three has curved edge. The one you pictured looks a lot lighter than the ones I have. I would probably use it more often if mine were like that. The gyutos are light and sharp. Hard to beat that combination.

To me, that was & still is my pride & joy!! It is good for chopping, slicing, mincing & for just plain rough cutting. I've been using it for years & years - that same tool!! Used it far more than my French knives. I have a lot of knives, but this one was the main one that I use often. Yes, it IS lighter but when sharpened, it's very razor-sharp!!!! :whistling:

Vote No. 3 for Victorinox.
When My wife was in Switzerland a couple of years ago, she brought back 3 sets of Victorinox: a small serrated knife, a longer serrated knife, a paring knife and a Paris knife. Easy maintenance, keep sharp, very light.
Cool to see that you're a fan of Victorinox. I actually have one of their backpacks! Bought one in 2016 and I've been using it everywhere I go.

Back
Top Bottom