Knife Sharpening

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
10:05 AM
Mod Edit: moved from another thread (What's this?) due to the number of replies.

Knife sharpner - honing sticks?

Yes, knife sharpener. The internals of my old one disintegrated. This is a new one.

full s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I value my extremities highly.

Mines a butchers one from ex freezing works aka abattoir. Pic later. I'm pretty good using a steel. I take it with me about once every 6 months to sharpen my kids knives. My wife's goes to another room if I'm sharpening, can't stand the sound. Daughters the same,lol.

Russ

Mines a butchers one from ex freezing works aka abattoir. Pic later. I'm pretty good using a steel. I take it with me about once every 6 months to sharpen my kids knives. My wife's goes to another room if I'm sharpening, can't stand the sound. Daughters the same,lol.

Russ

I just couldn't trust myself willy nilly waving steel and knife around in the kitchen. Murphy's Law.

I usually run my main knife through the sharpener every few times of use for vegetables. For meat I always run it through before each use. I cannot remember if I've ever sharpened the "bread knife".

knives 2.jpg

There was a "mobile" knife sharpener outside our regular pub once sharpening their restaurant knives. I took one of my older knives down and asked the landlord to have it sharpened next time the guy was by. He looked at it and felt it with his thumb and said "I wouldn't bother, that knife is sharper now than mine after he's finished!"

Knives need to be properly sharpened. A steel is used to bring the edge "back to true", but it isn't meant to sharpen the blade. A steel should be used after or before the knife is used each time.

Knives need to be properly sharpened. A steel is used to bring the edge "back to true", but it isn't meant to sharpen the blade. A steel should be used after or before the knife is used each time.

What would you use to sharpen the knife, then?

What would you use to sharpen the knife, then?

I have an electric sharpener to make quick work of the job. If I want to take my sweet old time I have stones, which I exclusively use for my filet and boning knives.

I have an electric sharpener to make quick work of the job. If I want to take my sweet old time I have stones, which I exclusively use for my filet and boning knives.

I have one knife for cutting, peeling, filleting, and virtually every other kitchen use (except slicing bread). I've never considered different knives for different applications.

I'd most likely forget which was for which anyway!

I have a proper oil stone in the garage with my work tools. Used for sharpening Stanley knives. But my steel serves me fine.

Russ
We do have two for hygiene reasons . 1 for all knives regardless of use which had two finenesses (word?) and 1 for outdoor equipment which naturally is coarser. Axes and mower blades don't quite require the same level of sharpness, though both are still pretty sharp .

We do have two for hygiene reasons . 1 for all knives regardless of use which had two finenesses (word?) and 1 for outdoor equipment which naturally is coarser. Axes and mower blades don't quite require the same level of sharpness, though both are still pretty sharp .

Yeah the stones has coarse one side and fine the other. I would use a disc grinder to sharpen axes etc.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom