Knives for sale

zuludog

Veteran
Local time
1:49 PM
I'm about to have a tidy - out. and I'm thinking of selling some almost new chef's knives.

Am I allowed to do that on this forum?

Can you send them through the post, at present?

Can you send them through the post, at present?

In a word, Yes

A couple of years or so ago the PO reviewed its regulations, and wouldn't accept knives, but there was considerable upset & discussion between legitimate knife users, like chef's, crafts people, and collectors, and the PO
Now the PO have accepted that knives are tools and not necessarily weapons - the problem was that the law prevents PO from accepting weapons, and other hazardous items. The ruling now is that PO is a disinterested third party, and the onus on the responsibility & use of knives lies with the customer/end user

However, PO is concerned that in the past parcels of knives have come open and injured, or at least presented a problem to their staff, thus while they will not refuse a knife just because it's a knife, but may do so if they think the packaging is inadequate
The decision is usually made by the counter staff when you present your parcel at your local PO, and this ruling has taken its time to trickle down to all of them, so you might have to argue your case about the fact that its a knife, and point out the rule changes

Similarly with packaging, so more & stronger is better than only just

Since retiring, I have taken up knife making as a hobby; I always make sure they're well packed, and staff at my local PO have got to know me, so I don't have any problems

Thursday of last week, they were on the restricted list. I'd to collect my order in person as it couldn't be accepted.

That's the only reason I said "at present".

I'm about to have a tidy - out. and I'm thinking of selling some almost new chef's knives.

Am I allowed to do that on this forum?

We did once have a section on the forum for things like this. I don't see why you shouldn't if you want to post photos and a suggested price. Then members can PM you if interested.

Thursday of last week, they were on the restricted list. I'd to collect my order in person as it couldn't be accepted.

That's the only reason I said "at present".

Ah, I hadn't heard of that; obviously the rules & regs are changing quickly according to the latest political pressure & whims

Ah, I hadn't heard of that; obviously the rules & regs are changing quickly according to the latest political pressure & whims
All I was thinking of, with that piece in mind, was if you sold them and found out you were unable to post them. Might not look good for you.

I bought a 10" chef's knife from a supplier in Bangkok a few years ago. It was posted in a box about 14" x 6" x 2" and was the knife was loose; no internal packing whatsoever. When the postman delivered it, the point of the knife protruded some ½" out of the cardboard box. I took a photograph of it and sent it to the supplier.

The response was "You can't get decent staff these days".

Well, I've just posted a knife blade.

I had a boning knife with a wooden handle that had become manky & split, so I removed it, intending to re-handle it with something better, but never got round to it, so I advertised it on a knife making forum, and found a customer. Just had a message from him that he'd received the blade at his home address without any problems. I made sure the blade was well packed
When I took the parcel to my local sub PO they accepted it without any problems

I'm going into town tomorrow for a few errands, including calling at the main post office for the latest ruling on sending knives via Royal Mail

Back
Top Bottom