Recipe Korean Gaji-Namul (Eggplant/Aubergine)

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
9:41 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
eggplant-gaji-namul.jpg

4 thin Asian eggplants / aubergines, cut into about four sections (about 2 inches long each) and then lengthwise once.
4-5 ounces small button mushrooms (if you can’t find small, cut them in half).
2-3 green onions (or baby green leeks), root removed and chopped coarsely
3 cloves garlic, peeled, and crushed.
1/2 tablespoon sesame oil (roasted or plain)
3/4 tablespoon of toasted sesame seeds
1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (adjust up or down according to taste or tolerance)
2.5 – 3 tablespoons of tamari or coconut aminos

You can do the eggplant and mushrooms any of several ways. Steam for about 10-15 minutes in a steamer, then drain. Nuke for a few minutes in your microwave. Roast at 425 F for about 25 minutes with the above oil, covered. Or, grill, with the oil. (I ended up roasting them.)

Wait for the eggplant/mushrooms to cool down just so you can handle them. Transfer the mushrooms to a bowl, and shred the eggplant by hand — the author says they taste better this way, rather than cut with a knife — and plop that into the bowl, too. Add everything else — if you roasted or grilled you don’t need to add any more oil. Mix; your hands will be most efficient.

Serve. As a good option, set up as many plates as you will be feeding, lay down a bed of lettuce on each, and add this dish. It’s served warm, not hot or cold (although I did nuke the leftovers to hot when re-heating).

Inspiration: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/gaji-namul. Although some things, especially the mushrooms, are my own touch.

The dish actually proved to make two main meals plus a side with the last leftovers, so estimate 5 or 6 side portions if planned entirely as a side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom