Recipe La Chorizette (Chorizo & Fried Potatoes)

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
1:18 AM
La Chorizette (Chorizo & Fried Potatoes)
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
2 lbs/1 kg waxy potatoes
1/4 lb/125 g bacon, cut into pieces
1 onion, chopped
1-2 TB unsalted butter
1 TB olive oil
1/2 Spanish chorizo (about 5 oz/150 g), or more if you like
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 TB herbes de Provence
Salt and pepper
1 cup/100 g grated Gruyere cheese

Directions
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and cook the potatoes in it until close to, but not quite, done. Drain, peel, and cut into thick slices.

Fry the bacon in a large sauté pan. Remove to paper towels to drain, leaving about a tablespoon of the cooking fat in the pan. Fry the onion until soft, about 10 minutes, and add to the bacon. Add the butter and olive oil to the pan. Stir in the potatoes and chorizo. Fry until the potatoes are completely tender, about 10 minutes.

Toss in the garlic, herbs, bacon, and onion and cook 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Scatter over the cheese, and cover the pan so that it melts over the potatoes and sausage, about 5 minutes. Serve the chorizette piled onto plates with a big leafy salad.

Recipe from French Food at Home, Laura Calder

The CookingBites recipe challenge: sausage

La Chorizette (Chorizo & Fried Potatoes)
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
2 lbs/1 kg waxy potatoes
1/4 lb/125 g bacon, cut into pieces
1 onion, chopped
1-2 TB unsalted butter
1 TB olive oil
1/2 Spanish chorizo (about 5 oz/150 g), or more if you like
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 TB herbes de Provence
Salt and pepper
1 cup/100 g grated Gruyere cheese

Directions
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and cook the potatoes in it until close to, but not quite, done. Drain, peel, and cut into thick slices.

Fry the bacon in a large sauté pan. Remove to paper towels to drain, leaving about a tablespoon of the cooking fat in the pan. Fry the onion until soft, about 10 minutes, and add to the bacon. Add the butter and olive oil to the pan. Stir in the potatoes and chorizo. Fry until the potatoes are completely tender, about 10 minutes.

Toss in the garlic, herbs, bacon, and onion and cook 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Scatter over the cheese, and cover the pan so that it melts over the potatoes and sausage, about 5 minutes. Serve the chorizette piled onto plates with a big leafy salad.

Recipe from French Food at Home, Laura Calder

:hungry:

Looks good - did you serve this on its own? Or maybe with a leafy salad as suggested?

I find it amusing that Spanish chorizo is an ingredient in a recipe from 'French food at home'. Well maybe they would use it, but in general most French food is traditionally French produce. It would be more likely that such a recipe would use some kind of 'saucison'.

Looks good - did you serve this on its own? Or maybe with a leafy salad as suggested?
I’d intended to make the salad, but when the potatoes were nearing being done, I didn’t feel like it and MrsT wanted to concentrate on her potatoes! :laugh:

I find it amusing that Spanish chorizo is an ingredient in a recipe from 'French food at home'. Well maybe they would use it, but in general most French food is traditionally French produce. It would be more likely that such a recipe would use some kind of 'saucison'.
I see my buddy Jacques Pepin using Spanish chorizo a lot, but he doesn’t care. He uses anything from anywhere, he’s been around long enough.

Laura Calder (who is the source for the recipe) is Canadian (but not French-Canadian), but was trained in France and lived/worked there for years. She states in the book that her recipe is based on one from a rural restaurant in Dijon that she used to frequent.

Back
Top Bottom