LA City Schools re-baked bread brownies:

Dive Bar Casanova

Local time
10:41 PM
At the end of the school day walking off campus sometimes the cafeteria would be selling these brownies for 10 cents ea.

Baked on giant sheet cake pans and cut into 4”x4” squares. Looks simple but are they ever delicious.

Mrs. Young was in charge of the cafeteria and told me the (scaled down) recipe. I thought it was long lost but just now found it penciled in a 14 year olds printing & misspelling.

Ya can't fake it, you have to stay 100% to the recipe.

Karo is corn syrup not yet banned in Calif.
I like European sweets because they aren’t over sugared.
These brownies flavor isn’t smothered by over-sugaring either.

Last edited:
At the end of the school day walking off campus sometimes the cafeteria would be selling these brownies for 10 cents ea.

Baked on giant sheet cake pans and cut into 4”x4” squares. Looks simple but are they ever delicious.
Mrs. Young was in charge of the cafeteria and told me the (scaled down) recipe. I thought it was long lost but just now found it penciled in a 14 year olds printing & misspelling. Ya can't fake it, you have to stay 100% to the recipe.

View attachment 57224

What's karo please?

Russ

Can't say I've seen that here, any other substitute?

Russ
It looks like this here:

Google says you have a similar product there called glucose syrup/sugar?

Karo has a kind of neutral flavor, but it looks like some people sub in Lyle's Golden Syrup.

There's a good chance the recipe uses dark Karo syrup given that it is chocolate. Dark Karo has a nutty, caramelized flavor. I use the dark for pecan pie.

Golden syrup can be substituted and is available in NZ per Google. Apparently there are darker and lighter versions like with Karo.

Last edited:
Oddly enough I bought some Karo many months ago to enter an online recipe competition. It wasn't easy to source in the UK. Then I discovered I couldn't enter the competition as it wasn't open to the UK! Maybe I should make these brownies?

Oddly enough I bought some Karo many months ago to enter an online recipe competition. It wasn't easy to source in the UK. Then I discovered I couldn't enter the competition as it wasn't open to the UK! Maybe I should make these brownies?

I know you are not big on sweet stuff, but you can also use the light Karo for things like macadamia or cashew or almond or peanut pies/tarts.

It also makes a great faux blood for Halloween when mixed with red food coloring.

Back
Top Bottom