Lamb lollipops

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
8:35 AM
My husband is a big fan of lamb lollipops. I got him a Frenched rack of lamb that I I will cut into lollipops and cook for him for his Christmas dinner (I am going to eat mussels and shrimp, not a lamb fan). I do not have any rosemary or mint, and I see that lots of recipes call for that. I have only made lamb for him once, and that was several years ago, and I made a merlot wine sauce to go with it. He liked it very much, but I want to try something a little different this time. I plan on rubbing the lollipops with roasted garlic and parsley butter with sea salt and pepper and cooking them in the cast iron skillet. I would have hubby do it on the grill, but we are expecting 6-9 inches of snow overnight and the high tomorrow is around 24F (-4.4C) so I am not going to make him stand outside to grill his own dinner, LOL. I am thinking of using a bit of Colgin's liquid smoke for that extra smokey grilled flavor. I cook steaks in the cast iron skillet frequently so I know how to get a good sear.

I would love to see other people's marinades and recipes on how they cook lamb lollipops or even chops.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Christmas so far, Happy Christmas Eve!

I've never heard of lamb lollipops (another US/UK language thing?). I am assuming you mean what I would call cutlets?

That's more of a nickname. It is just lamb chops, Frenched. They look like lollipops.

Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 7.05.04 AM.png

CD

I usually just make a loose paste with garlic, finely chopped fresh rosemary, salt, pepper and EVOO. If I have lemons and think about it, I will also add some lemon zest. Rub the paste in and let them sit for an hour or so, then grill.

I've never heard of lamb lollipops (another US/UK language thing?). I am assuming you mean what I would call cutlets?
That doesn't appear to be a standard name here in the US, but just from seeing that, I could guess they were lamb loin chops. Good name!

I usually purchase shoulder chops - more meat per price - but I have gotten them when I've bought half a lamb. I will either grill, pan fry, or on rare occasions bake lamb chops, but I have done sous vide as well.

I have a Frenched rack of lamb that I will cut into separate chops, and they are very small, a very young lamb. Here in Akron, Ohio fine dining restaurants call them lollipops because you can just pick them up by the bone and eat them in 2 bites. People who like lamb adore them! Anyway, we probably won't eat until 5-6. I think the addition of lemon zest is a good idea to brighten the flavor. I do wish I had some rosemary, it's just not something I cook with often. I tried growing it a few times up here, but my soil wasn't agreeable with it. When I lived in Florida it grew very well with little care.

Merry Christmas!

Before we downsized homes, I had a rosemary plant, AKA as the bush, that grew about 3 feet high and about that wide. I'd cut it way back and it would grow right back. I also had a small herb garden growing of 2-3 different basils, thyme, mint and oregano (in pots, as they would take over otherwise), and cilantro when it was cool, as well as a few different veges and lettuces. One of our neighbors asked me if I practiced witchcraft since I grew my own herbs.

My husband is a big fan of lamb lollipops. I got him a Frenched rack of lamb that I I will cut into lollipops and cook for him for his Christmas dinner (I am going to eat mussels and shrimp, not a lamb fan). I do not have any rosemary or mint, and I see that lots of recipes call for that. I have only made lamb for him once, and that was several years ago, and I made a merlot wine sauce to go with it. He liked it very much, but I want to try something a little different this time. I plan on rubbing the lollipops with roasted garlic and parsley butter with sea salt and pepper and cooking them in the cast iron skillet. I would have hubby do it on the grill, but we are expecting 6-9 inches of snow overnight and the high tomorrow is around 24F (-4.4C) so I am not going to make him stand outside to grill his own dinner, LOL. I am thinking of using a bit of Colgin's liquid smoke for that extra smokey grilled flavor. I cook steaks in the cast iron skillet frequently so I know how to get a good sear.

I would love to see other people's marinades and recipes on how they cook lamb lollipops or even chops.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Christmas so far, Happy Christmas Eve!
Sounds like an unusual but tasty choice for Christmas dinner, especially with rosemary and mint to enhance the flavour nicely.
We had roast leg of lamb which for once cooked through - I found a site that could calculate the cooking time depending on the weight, the cut and how well you liked the lamb cooked. Very satisfying. Our eldest helped. He's very keen on steaming veg - result on the day was lovely.

Happy New Year!

Sounds like an unusual but tasty choice for Christmas dinner, especially with rosemary and mint to enhance the flavour nicely.
We had roast leg of lamb which for once cooked through - I found a site that could calculate the cooking time depending on the weight, the cut and how well you liked the lamb cooked. Very satisfying. Our eldest helped. He's very keen on steaming veg - result on the day was lovely.

Happy New Year!
In our house in past years, it was usually prime rib roast (medium rare) if we had family and friends over. No one but the two of us has entered our home since March because of Covid-19, so that would have been entirely too much food. Unfortunately I did not have any rosemary or mint on hand, but the roasted garlic parsley butter worked quite nicely.

In our house in past years, it was usually prime rib roast (medium rare) if we had family and friends over. No one but the two of us has entered our home since March because of Covid-19, so that would have been entirely too much food. Unfortunately I did not have any rosemary or mint on hand, but the roasted garlic parsley butter worked quite nicely.

I've never liked mint with lamb -- or any meat, for that matter. I do use rosemary, and always have it ten steps outside my kitchen door. I use garlic, too. I use garlic with almost everything short of desserts.

CD

Back
Top Bottom