Recipe Lamb sausage pita bites

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
3:46 PM
I used the lamb sausage I made Sunday night into a nifty, super-easy appetizer. It's a spin on Greek gyros, using pita bread, feta cheese, homemade tzatziki (with dill, garlic, cucumber, sea salt, lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, and Greek yogurt), roasted roma tomato slivers, and of course the lamb sausage. My husband proclaimed, "Outstanding!" After he finished the first plate, he devoured another. The only part that was time-consuming was making the lamb sausage and tzatziki sauce, but those can easily be made in advance. This serves 2-3 people, depending on appetites

Ingredients:
1 very ripe roma tomato
4 lamb sausages Recipe - Herbed lamb sausage (no casings)
3-4 pieces of pita bread (depending on the size of the pieces), cut into small wedges
approximately 1/2 cup of tzatziki sauce (I used this recipe Easy Greek Tzatziki Sauce Recipe)
approximately 4 ounces of crumbled feta cheese
parchment paper and baking sheet
Optional:
1 TBSP diced scallions, herbs, or microgreens (I used microgreens).
1 TBSP honey and 1/2 tsp of balsamic vinegar for a finishing drizzle

Step 1
Slice the roma tomato into thin slivers and place on a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Cook for approximately 15 minutes at 325F or until the tomato slivers appear to be slightly dry. It's important not to use a very juicy tomato--my roma had been ripening on the counter for over a week and was perfect. A handful of grape tomatoes would work well also. While the tomatoes are cooking (drying), fry up the lamb sausage on medium-low heat until seared, approximately 5-7 minutes. Cover the pan with a lid and set aside to stay warm.

Lamb sausage pita bites tomatoes.jpgLamb sausage pita bites sausage fried.jpg

Step 2:

Cut the pita bread slices into wedges. Put on a baking sheet and lightly toast. While the pita bread is toasting, slice up the sausages into the desired thickness. Take the pita wedges out of the oven and build, placing the feta cheese, lamb, and tomato on each pita wedge, then place a generous dollop of tzatziki sauce on each. Top with minced scallions, fresh herbs, or microgreens for garnish and drizzle with balsamic and honey sauce if desired.

Lamb sausage pita bites wedges.jpglamb sausage pita bites tzatziki.jpg
lamb sausage pita bites plated.jpg

lamb sausage pita bites finished.jpg

Last edited:
LoIt looks used the lamb sausage I made Monday night into a nifty, super-easy appetizer. It's a spin on Greek gyros, using pita bread, feta cheese, homemade tzatziki (with dill, garlic, cucumber, sea salt, lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, and Greek yogurt), roasted roma tomato slivers, and of course the lamb sausage. My husband proclaimed, "Outstanding!" After he finished the first plate, he devoured another. The only part that was time-consuming was making the lamb sausage and tzatziki sauce, but those can easily be made in advance. This serves 2-3 people, depending on appetites
Ingredients:
1 very ripe roma tomato
4 lamb sausages
3-4 pieces of pita bread (depending on the size of the pieces), cut into small wedges
approximately 1/2 cup of tzatziki sauce (I used this recipe Easy Greek Tzatziki Sauce Recipe)
approximately 4 ounces of crumbled feta cheese
parchment paper and baking sheet
Optional:
1 TBSP diced scallions, herbs, or microgreens (I used microgreens).
1 TBSP honey and 1/2 tsp of balsamic vinegar for a finishing drizzle

Step 1
Slice the roma tomatoes into thin slivers and place on a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Cook for approximately 15 minutes at 325F or until the tomato slivers appear to be slightly dry. While the tomatoes are cooking, fry up the lamb sausage on medium-low heat until seared, approximately 5-7 minutes. Cover the pan with a lid and set aside to stay warm.

View attachment 96539View attachment 96540

Step 2:

Cut the pita bread slices into wedges. Put on a baking sheet and lightly toast. While the pita bread is toasting, slice up the sausages into the desired thickness. Take the pita wedges out of the oven and build, placing the feta cheese, lamb, and tomato on each pita wedge, then place a generous dollop of tzatziki sauce on each. Top with minced scallions, fresh herbs, or microgreens for garnish and drizzle with balsamic and honey sauce if desired.

View attachment 96538View attachment 96536
View attachment 96535
View attachment 96537
Looks amazing!!

Russ

JAS_OH1 what did your DH think of this?
He said they were outstanding, gobbled them up, and asked for more!

You know kgirl, you could sub out a different kind of sausage and buy tzatziki sauce and serve it to your gal pals...call it something fancy schmancy like "Mexican Greek fusion" if you used chorizo, lol :roflmao:

Last edited:
LoIt looks used the lamb sausage I made Monday night into a nifty, super-easy appetizer. It's a spin on Greek gyros, using pita bread, feta cheese, homemade tzatziki (with dill, garlic, cucumber, sea salt, lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, and Greek yogurt), roasted roma tomato slivers, and of course the lamb sausage. My husband proclaimed, "Outstanding!" After he finished the first plate, he devoured another. The only part that was time-consuming was making the lamb sausage and tzatziki sauce, but those can easily be made in advance. This serves 2-3 people, depending on appetites

Looks amazing!!

Russ
They really were. It's good thing I have long arms, patting myself on the back all night lololol.

Back
Top Bottom