Recipe Lamb's Fry and Bacon in Port Sauce

Discussion in 'Meat and Poultry' started by murphyscreek, Mar 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. murphyscreek

murphyscreek Active Member

P1050345fb.jpg

Ingredients

1 lambs fry sliced
    250 gm bacon cut in to 5cm pieces
    ! onion chopped
    2 cloves garlic finely chopped
    I cup port wine
    1/2 cup beef stock
    Buttermilk
    Butter
    Vegetable oil
    Plain flour
    Parsley and crumbled blue cheese to garnish

Method

Marinate sliced lamb's fry in butter milk for 1-2 hours. Fry bacon pieces in a little oil till coloured and beginning to crisp then remove and keep warm. Lightly coat lamb's fry in flour, then fry in the same pan as bacon adding a little oil if not enough bacon fat remained, then remove when browned but do not overcook. In same pan, add some butter, onions and garlic till onion translucent. Add a little sprinkled flour to onions and brown a little more, then add port and stock and stir to mix in flour. Reduce till sauce thickens. Put lamb's fry and bacon back in sauce and mix through whilst warming.

Serve with smashed potatoes and sprinkle with chopped parsley and crumbled blue cheese.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  2. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

This really does look good. I love the combination of port sauce and blue cheese. I confess I'd never heard of lamb's fry - I now know its any kind of lambs offal. So is this lamb's liver?

murphyscreek likes this.
  3. murphyscreek

[QUOTE="morning glory, post: 145681, So is this lamb's liver?[/QUOTE]

Hi.. .

Yes, most definitely (here anyway) lamb's fry is always lamb's liver. Is a very old fashioned dish, regarded fondly by older people like my parents who are in their 70's. Except they wouldn't want any hint of nuances like port sauce or blue cheese. Just lambs fry and bacon and onion gravy.. ..and to be honest there's nothing wrong with that either. Haha...

4. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

I love lamb's liver - and I like it with bacon. onions and gravy too. But I can imagine your recipe really working with the slightly sweet port and salty tangy cheese combined with the taste of liver.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    murphyscreek likes this.
  5. The Late Night Gourmet

The Late Night Gourmet Über Member

If I had been served liver that looked this good when I was a child, I'd likely be a fan of it today!

murphyscreek and morning glory like this.
  6. epicuric

epicuric Über Member Staff Member

Looks fantastic!

7. rascal

rascal Senior Member

I thought I made a comment on this?? Anyway, looks great.

Russ

murphyscreek likes this.
  8. murphyscreek

Hahaha. ...you did in the bacon competition thread. You invited yourself to breakfast!!

rascal and morning glory like this.
  9. rascal

rascal Senior Member

That sounds like me,lol

Russ