Recipe Lancashire Hotpot with Black Pudding

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:00 PM
@ElizabethB requested a recipe for lamb hotpot, so here it is. There are many versions of this classic British dish. Some include kidneys and some don’t. Some include black pudding. I’ve included both as I happen to love both! Its truly surprising how much flavour can come from such a simple dish. This recipe serves four for a lighter meal or two for a large meal. Traditionally it is served with red cabbage.

20170929_171612.jpg

20170929_172725.jpg

Ingredients
4 lamb chops (trim off some of the fat if you wish)
4 - 6 lambs kidneys, de-veined cut in half
A thick slice of black pudding, roughly crumbled
Flour, salt and pepper
2 large baking potatoes fairly thinly sliced
Fresh thyme (or use dried)
A few bay leaves
1 onion thinly sliced, sliced
400 stock (chicken, lamb or vegetable)
Butter or oil to grease the dish

Method
  1. Heat the oven to 170C. Dust the meat lightly with flour, salt and pepper.
  2. Place a layer onions in the bottom of a greased casserole dish. Add a layer of of the potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Place 2 lamb chops on top and tuck pieces of kidney and black pudding, a few sprigs of thyme and 2 bay leaves around them.
  3. Repeat step 2 using up the remaining lamb, kidneys and black pudding.
  4. Add a layer of the remaining onions on top and arrange the remaining potatoes over the top. Arrange the remaining potato slices on top of the onions, and season these with salt and pepper. Pour in the stock so it comes to below the topping. Cover and bake for two hours then uncover and bake for another 30 minutes, until the potatoes are golden and crisp.
A layer of onions and potatoes:
20170929_145158.jpg

Topped with lamb chops, kidneys and black pudding:
20170929_145102.jpg

And repeated:
20170929_145452.jpg

Final topping of onion and potato:
20170929_145728.jpg

Baked:
20170929_171852.jpg

Do you not fry off the meat prior to assembling? Crispy lamb fat is the tastiest bit of the chop! Excellent recipe, and it has inspired today's lunch, thank you :)

Sometimes I do to colour the meat - but this time I didn't. The fat wouldn't stay crispy in the long cooking in stock, surely?

Sometimes I do to colour the meat - but this time I didn't. The fat wouldn't stay crispy in the long cooking in stock, surely?
No, in fairness it wouldn't. I've never tried lamb chops in a casserole, only ever pan fried them. I will definitely give this a try though - sumptuous dish!

No, in fairness it wouldn't. I've never tried lamb chops in a casserole, only ever pan fried them. I will definitely give this a try though - sumptuous dish!

I didn't trim off the fat so the gravy was very fatty. There was some left over and I poured off the gravy. When it cooled down there was a layer of white fat on the surface! You might well wish to trim off the fat.

@morning glory

Your recipe makes my mouth water.

What is black pudding and can I get it in the U.S.?

Thank you.

I am not sure if you can get it. I sort of doubt it. It is made with blood - so a blood sausage. There is something similar in France. But maybe, given the French tradition in Lafayette there may be a similar thing. To be honest, most lamb hotpots wouldn't use it anyway so it can be made without.

I would have thought lamb would be a bit scarce where you are though...?

@morning glory

Lamb is not scarce but it can be a little pricey - $5 to $15 per lb. depending on the cut. I may have to search but I am sure that I can find lamb kidney.

I am sure that I can find blood sausage at one of the rural meat markets or slaughter houses within 30 miles of my home.

The question is how is your blood sausage made? Is it plain or seasoned? Smoke cured or fresh?

All of you share such amazing recipes. I am chomping at the bit to try them. I have to wait for George's Nutritionist to clear him for more carbs.

The question is how is your blood sausage made? Is it plain or seasoned? Smoke cured or fresh?
It has pork fat, oatmeal (and the one I had pearl barley added too) and is seasoned with herbs and spices but in the case of the one I used they are not listed on the packet. I'll see if I can find more info. Its not smoked or cured.

Back
Top Bottom