Large Mussel Pot

Kitchen_Mouse

Über Member
Local time
1:18 AM
While clearing out a cupboard I've come across an enamel mussel pot. Problem is I'm allergic to shellfish, any ideas on what alternatives I could use this for.
bf has suggested a plant pot or he could use it in the garage:facepalm:

Being enamel would limit its uses slightly, that is without the aid of a good set of oven gloves, but I can't seen why it can't be used from anything from a large mixing bowl - lids are useful to cover contents in summer, to a cooking vessel on a gas or electric ring to in the oven, a dish that can easily go between the rings and the oven or rings and grill, or if it is a 2 tier one, (I suspect not, but...) a steamer. For me, it would be a very useful dish because I rarely if ever cook for a single night for 2 people. I will often cook for 2-3 nights so something that serves 6 is ideal. Just think of the casseroles with damper or @morning glory remind me what the baked dumpling come scone is called that is usually on top of Irish Stew dishes... it needs browning off under the grill to finish cooking it. I can't for the life of me remember what it is called. But there are endless possibilities just in cooking alone!

Just think of the casseroles with damper or @morning glory remind me what the baked dumpling come scone is called that is usually on top of Irish Stew dishes... it needs browning off under the grill to finish cooking it. I can't for the life of me remember what it is called. But there are endless possibilities just in cooking alone!
I thought they were just called dumplings - but in USA they have a similar thing called biscuits. Its quite confusing. But biscuits in the USA are a bit like our dumplings.
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/beef-and-biscuit-stew

No, there is a specific name for them. I will try to find it. They are browned off under the grill. They are more like scones on top than dumplings, designed to cover the top of the casserole or stew (and even soups in my case) but are pre-cut to make life easier for serving.

No, there is a specific name for them. I will try to find it. They are browned off under the grill. They are more like scones on top than dumplings, designed to cover the top of the casserole or stew (and even soups in my case) but are pre-cut to make life easier for serving.
Sounds delicious. Clearly, I haven't heard of this form of dumpling. But any form of dumpling half-soaked in stew is great as far as I'm concerned! Browned on top seems even better.

Are you thinking of what I call "Suet Dumplings"?

beefstew-l.jpg

These three accompanying a beef stew.......

Back
Top Bottom