Recipe Lauki and sprouts vegetable

Ramana

Local time
6:00 AM
Website
easytocookrecipesforbeginners.blogspot.com
An unusual combination indeed, you are right even I thought so initially. When I was trying different combinations with the vegetable lauki/ bottle gourd, I tried out the combination and found it to be highly palatable.
Lauki-with-sprouts.jpg

Ingredients (serve- 2pax)​

Main-ingredients.jpg

1 medium size lauki
1/2cup moong dal sprouts
2 tomatoes chopped and minced in a mixer
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp dhaniya powder
1/2 tsp garam masala

For tempering/tadka​

1/2 tsp jeera/cumin
2 pinches Hing / asafetida
1 whole red chili
1 tsp chopped green chili
1tsp chana dal
Few curry patta leaves

Preparation​

1) Heat 2 tsp oil in a pressure cooker.

2) Add all tadka ingredients and stir till they splutter and dal turns slightly brown.

3) Add salt, turmeric, dhaniya and garam masala. Stir for few seconds and immediately add tomatoes.

4) Stir for 30 seconds.

5) Add lauki and stir well for another 30seconds.

6) Cook for a minute.

7) Add a little water 4-5 tbsp so that the vegetables don't burn.

8) Close the cooker lid and put on a slow flame so that the vegetables release their water and cook in them.

9) Put off the gas after a whistle and let the cooker cool on its own.

10) Open the lid and put on the gas.

11) Cook for a few minutes stirring and mashing the vegetables to get the desired consistency.

12) Now add the sprouts and cook only for 30 seconds and put off the gas.

13) Cook sprouts till raw flavor has gone, don't overcook since they are loaded with rich nutrients.

14) Enjoy this healthy and yummy dish with bread/ roti of your liking.

Last edited:
Interesting recipe. "lauki" is also known as bottle gourd or calabash, is that correct?
I´ve often seen them in Indian groceries but, since I wasn´t sure how to prepare them, I´ve never bought them!
Here´s a question: I imagine this dish can be prepared without a pressure cooker, is that correct? How much longer would it take to cook just on the stove top?

Interesting recipe. "lauki" is also known as bottle gourd or calabash, is that correct?
I´ve often seen them in Indian groceries but, since I wasn´t sure how to prepare them, I´ve never bought them!
Here´s a question: I imagine this dish can be prepared without a pressure cooker, is that correct? How much longer would it take to cook just on the stove top?
karadekoolaid Thank you I am glad you found my recipe interesting.
You are absolutely correct it is also known as Calabash or bottle gourd.
You can cook without a pressure cooker in step 7 add half cup of water instead of few spoons cover the pan with the lid and cook for 20-30 minutes depending on how soft the vegetable is and whether you like it mushy or firm.
Do try and let me know. Try my other recipes too.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom