Recipe Lavender, Lemon & Teriyaki Grilled Salmon

Francesca

Local time
10:07 PM
Provençe, France is most renowned picturesque wine villages, IX century fortresses, colorful architecture and wild lavender fields. Lavender has been known to be a relaxant and assists those with insomnia. However, in the culinary world, in the Provençal región, lavender is used for uncountable gastronomic concoctions. Here is one quick little dish, which can also be prepared with wild river trout.

In a large glass bowl, prepare a quick 25 minute marinade for the salmon:

Ingredients
2 cloves of minced garlic
1 teaspoon of lavender buds (fresh or dried )
1/8 cup of Japanese Organic Teriyaki Sauce
2 tbsp honey (I use lavender Honey )
2 tbsp Fresh squeezed Lemon Juice
2 tbsp of French evoo from Provençe (can use Italian evoo )
1 rock glass of Perrier water or similar
2 to 4 thick large pieces of fresh wild salmon

Method
  1. Whisk all the ingredients until well combined and marinate. Marinate for 20 to 25 minutes at most covered in the fridge.
  2. Heat your grilling skillet or oven grill.
  3. With a Paint brush, brush some Evoo on the drained marinated salmon slabs.
  4. Salt and freshly grind rose, green, white and black pepper to taste.
  5. Grill the salmon skin side down .
  6. Grill for approx 8 minutes and then turn once and grill for 5 - 6 minutes.
I prefer my salmon rare to médium rare, so if you prefer your salmon médium, add another minute on each side. I serve this with a starter of Vichyssoise or a Rocket - Radicchio Salad.

Some lovely Provencal blush rosé or a French Chablis pair perfectly. Or Champagne, Cava or Prosecco Rosé or Blonde.

Enjoy ..

Last edited by a moderator:
I clicked on this before I realised it was a fish dish :facepalm:but it does sound lovely with the lavender. Good to point out that not all varieties of lavender are edible!

@Elawin

There are several varieties of lavender. The French and The English lavender have a relatively low "camphor" content and thus, can be used in the culinary arts.

The lavender that is used in aromatherapy, medicinals and decoratives has a higher camphor content, and though it will not usually effect healthy people, it is best to check with the property owner or the horticulturist or Gardner or Farmer ..

Lavender is related to the Mint Family .. and is used in the Herbes de Maquis in the Provençal región .. grown in Provençal.

In the U.K. from what I quickly read online, English lavender is predominately used in herbal infusions and dried and roasted and combined with flour for baking of desserts / tarts etc.

Have a nice evening ..

@Elawin

There are several varieties of lavender. The French and The English lavender have a relatively low "camphor" content and thus, can be used in the culinary arts.

The lavender that is used in aromatherapy, medicinals and decoratives has a higher camphor content, and though it will not usually effect healthy people, it is best to check with the property owner or the horticulturist or Gardner or Farmer ..

Lavender is related to the Mint Family .. and is used in the Herbes de Maquis in the Provençal región .. grown in Provençal.

In the U.K. from what I quickly read online, English lavender is predominately used in herbal infusions and dried and roasted and combined with flour for baking of desserts / tarts etc.

Have a nice evening ..
Apparently there are two predominant types of Lavender in the UK - one is edible, the other is not. I know the one I used to have in my garden (the usual type sold in garden centres etc) certainly wasn't, although it didn't stop the dogs eating it!

Apparently there are two predominant types of Lavender in the UK - one is edible, the other is not. I know the one I used to have in my garden (the usual type sold in garden centres etc) certainly wasn't, although it didn't stop the dogs eating it!

@Elawin,

I did not have the time to write a whole report on lavender varieties, as they are named and registered and have distinct color differences too and leaf types.

One day, I shall ..

My husband was raised in a lavender producing region, of Provençe, 35 to 40 kilometres north of Marseille Vieux Port.

Have a wonderful weekend ..

@Elawin,

I did not have the time to write a whole report on lavender varieties, as they are named and registered and have distinct color differences too and leaf types.

One day, I shall ..

My husband was raised in a lavender producing region, of Provençe, 35 to 40 kilometres north of Marseille Vieux Port.

Have a wonderful weekend ..
There are several sites on the internet which tell you which types [normally] grow where, and which are safe to eat. The main problem seems to be deciding which type of lavender you have. I didn't even know there were two common types I the UK until someone pointed it out. Your husband should be an expert :wink:

A nice weekend to you too.

There are several sites on the internet which tell you which types [normally] grow where, and which are safe to eat. The main problem seems to be deciding which type of lavender you have. I didn't even know there were two common types I the UK until someone pointed it out. Your husband should be an expert :wink:

A nice weekend to you too.

@Elawin

I have alot of books on Herbology, Herbs, and Provençe Lavender too .. But I am not home ..

Yes, my husband was the one that brought me the lavender for this dish ..

I have been growing some for a long time on my apartment terrace .. I bring them inside when we are both away ..

Ok, time to get some rest .. I did want to mention that it might be a lovely marinade for courgette / zucchine sliced into matchbook strips .. I have never tried it .. However, could be real nice, grilled ..

It is late here 23.40 ..
Have a lovely weekend ..

Last edited:
@morning glory

It is quite exquisite .. Truly lovely ..

The last time I had done this marinade with fresh prawns and it was incredibly wonderful.

I should have a photograph of that dish .. I have to do a hunt !!

Have a wonderful day ..

Photo: Francesca Guillamet ..

This recipe using the Marinade of Lavender, Teriyaki, Honey & Lemon, comes from a Chef, who resides in a very small town in Provençe and has a tiny restaurant in the historic district, had given my husband and I, the récipe, using large prawns and razor clams ..

LATABLEDUROYPRAWNSRAZORCLAMSPG2013-11-15 14.02.31-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Provençe, France is most renowned picturesque wine villages, IX century fortresses, colorful architecture and wild lavender fields. Lavender has been known to be a relaxant and assists those with insomnia. However, in the culinary world, in the Provençal región, lavender is used for uncountable gastronomic concoctions. Here is one quick little dish, which can also be prepared with wild river trout.

Ingredients

Method
  1. Whisk all the ingredients until well combined and marinate. Marinate for 20 to 25 minutes at most covered in the fridge.
I prefer my salmon rare to médium rare, so if you prefer your salmon médium, add another minute on each side. I serve this with a starter of Vichyssoise or a Rocket - Radicchio Salad.

Some lovely Provencal blush rosé or a French Chablis pair perfectly. Or Champagne, Cava or Prosecco Rosé or Blonde.

Enjoy ..

@Francesca this is a fantastic recipe, wow!
I love lavender a lot but I've never used it for cooking...very interesting!

Last edited:
@Francesca this is a fantastic recipe, wow!
I love lavender a lot but I've never used it for cooking...very interesting!

@MypinchofItaly

Thank you very much .. It is sublime exqusiteness .. We enjoy it and very versatile .. Great with prawns, shellfish or salmon.

The salmon is delighting ..

Give it a try, it is so so easy ..

Italy has a lavender región, if I recall it is the Dolmides ..

Have fun and a great weekend ..

Ingredients

Method

Enjoy ..
My wife and I really enjoy salmon...so this looks worth a try.....especially with your wine recommendations !! :):):okay:

Ingredients

Method

Enjoy ..
My wife and I really enjoy salmon...so this looks worth a try.....especially with your wine recommendations !! :):):okay:

Back
Top Bottom