Butter1 Tbsp
Heavy Cream2/3 Cup
Milk1/3 Cup
Eggs4 whole + 2 yolks
Flour2 Tbsp
Gruyère8oz, grated
S&PTo taste

Directions:
Tart Shell: In a food processor, pulse the flour, thyme, salt & pepper to blend thoroughly. Add the butter and egg yolk, and pulse until the butter pieces are about the size of small rice grains (about 10-12 pulses). Add the ice water 1 Tbsp at a time through the feed tube while pulsing until the dough starts coming together. It will still look crumbly, but if you press it with your fingers, it should bind together. Then, turn the dough out onto your work surface and, using your hands, gather and press the dough into a rough ball, kneading lightly while gathering up the stray crumbs.

Make ball into a disc shape, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour to let the flour hydrate and relax. Dough can be made up to 2 days in advance.

-Preheat oven to 450°, put rack in center of oven-
Shell: Place dough on counter 20 minutes prior to rolling to allow it to become more pliable. Roll out on floured work surface enough to cover an 11-inch tart pan. Once rolled out to about 1/8 of an inch thick, drape the dough over your pin and transfer to pan. Push down into the edges, allowing it to drape over, make sure all the edges are in place then roll across the top of the pan to remove excess dough. Dock the dough with a fork and bake for 10 minutes. Check at 10-minute mark, rotate and bake again for 8 minutes. Shell should be light in color and slightly gold on the edges.

-Drop oven to 375° for cooking assembled tarts-
Filling: In a 12-inch skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until it’s crisp and golden, about 8-10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a dish and set aside. Discard all but 4 tsps of the rendered bacon fat. Set the skillet over medium-low heat and add the butter then add the leeks. Stir to coat them with the fat, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally until soft, 10-15 minutes. Stir the flour into the leeks and cook uncovered, stirring, for about 4 minutes to cook off the raw-flour flavor. Set aside and let cool a bit. In a medium bowl, lightly whisk the eggs. Add the cream, milk, salt & pepper, and whisk until blended. Add the bacon and leeks to the mixture and stir to combine.

Assembly: Sprinkle 2oz cheese into each cooled tart shell and pour in the egg mixture. Spread the leeks evenly. Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over the top. Bake until the custard is set and the top is golden brown, about 35 minutes. Let the tarts cool on a rack for about 30 minutes before serving.

Goes great with a side salad for a light dinner, or gently warmed for breakfast. Can also be made into small tarts for hors d'oeuvres. ENJOY!

_DSC8648.jpg

Last edited:
It so happens that I'm a big fan of savoury quiche/tart. Gruyere is a lovely cheese to use with its slightly sweet taste. I also particularly like the use of fresh thyme in the pastry. Nicely done!

Mod.Comment: Adding attachments containing text doesn't really meet our guidelines. The reason being that the site uses standardised typeface and size for ease of reading across all devices and for those with impaired text cognition (such as dyslexia). The typeface in your attachment above is small. I checked it on my mobile phone and it is impossible to read.

It so happens that I'm a big fan of savoury quiche/tart. Gruyere is a lovely cheese to use with its slightly sweet taste. I also particularly like the use of fresh thyme in the pastry. Nicely done!

Mod.Comment: Adding attachments containing text doesn't really meet our guidelines. The reason being that the site uses standardised typeface and size for ease of reading across all devices and for those with impaired text cognition (such as dyslexia). The typeface in your attachment above is small. I checked it on my mobile phone and it is impossible to read.
I'll edit. I have generally done that people can simply save the image and print.

Last edited:
I have generally done that people can simply save the image and print.

Thank you. These days loads of folk don't print out - I certainly don't (I don't even own a printer). Its all about being user friendly really. Lots of members only view the forum on a mobile phone. Increasingly so!

Thank you. These days loads of folk don't print out - I certainly don't (I don't even own a printer). Its all about being user friendly really. Lots of members only view the forum on a mobile phone. Increasingly so!

I, personally, do not like to use my cell for that sort of thing. I do the laptop thing. I keep a magnifier app on my laptop for the needs to read small print stuff that won't expand through some thoughtful web or window feature.

I'll edit. I have generally done that people can simply save the image and print.
It's actually really important for the site that recipes are not just image (or attachments) because search engines can not search text on images which means that we miss out on search engine indexing, something that is essential for the site to survive and thrive.

Plus there is also copyright to consider and whilst you are using your own recipes or blog to create these images, not everyone will understand or appreciate that and they may just copy or photograph a page from a cookery book (or another website) that is copyrighted leaving the site in a very difficult position.

I now am in the habit of copying and sending to wife's e mail, she prints them off for my hard copy. My catalogue that my daughter insisted I do for longevity.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom