Recipe Leek, Mushroom and Cheese Bread Pudding

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:44 PM
This savoury bread pudding can be served warm or at room temperature, rather like a quiche. Its good accompanied by a tomato salad.

fullsizeoutput_34e2.jpeg

Ingredients
75g ciabatta bread cut into cubes
3 tbsp olive oil
2 fat garlic cloves
2 medium leeks, chopped into small rounds
100g mushrooms, chopped into bite sized pieces
Oil or butter for frying
40 g strong cheddar cheese, grated
1 tbsp raisins
A handful of parsley, finely chopped
Thyme (optional)
300ml milk
3 eggs, beaten

Method
  1. Heat oven to 160 C
  2. Grate the garlic using a microplane or use a garlic crusher and mix with the olive oil.
  3. Place the bread cubes on a non-stick oven tray and drizzle over the garlic oil, tossing to ensure they cubes are all coated.
  4. Bake for 20 - 30 mins until the cubes are crisp.
  5. Cover the raisins in boiling water and leave for 20 mins.
  6. Meanwhile, sauté the leeks in oil or butter until softened.
  7. Cook the mushrooms in butter or oil until tender.
  8. Mix together the bread cubes (croutons), leeks, mushrooms, drained raisins, and thyme adding salt and pepper to taste. Place in an oven proof dish. I used a quiche tin.
  9. Sprinkle grated cheese and parsley over the top.
  10. Mix together the milk and beaten egg. Pour over the bread, leek, mushroom mixture.
  11. Leave to stand for 1/2 an hour to allow the milk to soak into the bread.
  12. Bake at 180C for 25-30 mins until risen and golden.
fullsizeoutput_34ce.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_34cf.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_34d8.jpeg

My husband made up a dairy free version of this yesterday which was really nice. I'd say the only thing missing was the seasoning in the egg mixture. If instructions don't say to do something, he doesn't do it. Thankfully he did omit the sultanas/raisins which he knows i don't like. It was really tasty.

_20180618_113117.JPG

I love quiche, my elderly neighbour made me one about 12 years ago, it's the best I've tasted...ever. She gave the recipe. My neighbours are now both in a home so every now I drop some quiche into them. Funny how food goes ful circle. They were good neighbours for 30 years.

Russ

My husband made up a dairy free version of this yesterday which was really nice. I'd say the only thing missing was the seasoning in the egg mixture. If instructions don't say to do something, he doesn't do it. Thankfully he did omit the sultanas/raisins which he knows i don't like. It was really tasty.

View attachment 16850

Ever tried currants? I'mnot much for raisins either, but do like currants.

View attachment 16850

The instructions do say:
Mix together the bread cubes (croutons), leeks, mushrooms, drained raisins, and thyme adding salt and pepper to taste. Place in an oven proof dish.

I think the raisons do add an interesting dimension - a slightly tangy sweetness which is missing otherwise. Not sure what else could sub but I may think of something.

....thinking some pieces of chopped sun dried tomato would be a good sub and provide that tang.
Not a great fan of them either tbh. They can be very hit and miss in my experience.

Ever tried currants? I'mnot much for raisins either, but do like currants.
No, I don't really like dried fruit at all.
Every now and again they may make it into a curry but not normally.

The instructions do say:

I think the raisons do add an interesting dimension - a slightly tangy sweetness which is missing otherwise. Not sure what else could sub but I may think of something.
It was the egg mixture that I thought needed it but it could have been more noticeable because of the lack of fresh herbs in ours (as well as the sultanas). Hubby isn't good at substitutions, just omissions! :giggle:

It was the egg mixture that I thought needed it but it could have been more noticeable because of the lack of fresh herbs in ours (as well as the sultanas). Hubby isn't good at substitutions, just omissions! :giggle:

The reason I suggested seasoning the bread/leek/mushroom/thyme mix is so it can be tasted to adjust seasoning. Otherwise you would need to taste it once the seasoned raw egg/milk was added. That could be done but is much harder to judge the taste with sloppy raw egg/milk in the mix.

Back
Top Bottom