img_20210129_0739376432794186325072224.jpg

Ingredients:
dough: (this is not my recipe)
2 cups/250 grams flour
9 tablespoons/125 grams butter (cold)
1 small egg
1 pinch salt
1 to 2 tablespoons water
Filling: (I made two different and arranged them in a ying yang pattern, the dark green/upper layer were made with a bechamel, the other one were made with eggs only)
1 tbsp/14g flour
1tbsp/14g butter
1 cup/250ml milk
½ onion
1 bayleaf
salt, pepper, nutmeg, as you like
two middle sized leeks
three small carrots
4 middle sized egg
2oz/50g parmesan

Method
  1. Put the flour into a bowl, cut the butter into small pieces and mix it until you have small flakes. Add one egg, the salt and the water and mix everything until you have a smooth dough. Let the dough rest in the fridge for at least half an hour.
  2. In the meantime you make the bechamel. Melt the butter, add the flour and let it simmer on middle heat while constantly swirling, don't let the roux get brown. Turn the heat of the roux of and let it get cold.
  3. Bring the milk to the boiling point, while chopping the vegetables. Put the roux into the hot milk and swirl it for some minutes on low temperature, until the thickening process started and make sure that there are no chunks of roux swimming around.
  4. Add the seasonings and the ½ onion and let it simmer, while you pre-bake the bottom of the pie. The oven doesn't have to be pre-heaten, just let the surface get a little crust.
  5. Chop the remaining vegetables if there are any, mix them with the sauce and all the eggs, season the mix as you like.
  6. When a little crust did build up on the pie, take it out and fill it with the vegetable mix, add the cheese on top. Bake the pie at 350°F/180°C for at least 30 minutes.
  7. Take the pie out when the cheese turned brown.

Stay healthy

Edit:
img_20210129_101240_17545274514103662719.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This quiche looks delicious! The second photo is particularly good. For me its an unusual way to make a quiche. I mean the use of a béchamel sauce. Normally I use eggs beaten into milk and seasoned to dorm the 'custard'. I imagine the result here must be much 'creamier' and possibly the custard is less firmly set than the way I do it.

Please note I took the liberty of breaking your method down into numbered steps to make it easier to follow.

No, it's all fine or rather thank you for doing it, I'm still a beginner. The bechamel gave it a different flavor and the feeling of round smoothness. The consistence was not bad, not so stable like with a royale (eggs and cream/milk) but stable enough to cut it. Stay healthy

Sounds great! Might try this, once school restarts. This is easy to carry along as snap to work.
Funny anecdote. We had green onions these days, kid loved them, but she kept asking if those were leek😂
At the store she saw leek,and asked,are these green onions🙃😂...that was so cute.

Back
Top Bottom