Left over Jamon

Roger Burton

Local time
8:20 PM
Website
www.rogerburton.co.uk
We bought a Lidls' Jamon for Christmas, went quite well but lots left over. I've thinly sliced and vacuum paked quite a lot (I heard it keeps well that method) but there's more .... anyone any ideas please ?

Biscuits (buttermilk, American style) with sliced ham to go with eggs for breakfast, Cuban style croquetas de jamon or hash.

We bought a Lidls' Jamon for Christmas, went quite well but lots left over. I've thinly sliced and vacuum paked quite a lot (I heard it keeps well that method) but there's more .... anyone any ideas please ?
We've bought those on and off over the years but haven't bothered recently as we actually got fed up of it! I think one of the problems was that neither of us were particularly good at getting the slices really thin :whistling:

Spanish Croquetas de Jamon are a favourite in our house - they're a bit labour-intensive but delicious. We also blitzed up some of the harder bits in the food processor to make ham bits to use on pizza, in pasta sauces etc. (stored in the freezer).

My first thoughts are sliced really thinly and used to top a simple pizza (in similar fashion to prosciutto), or diced finely and tossed in some pasta, filling for an omelette, with some manchego cheese, maybe do up a savory scone with bits of the meat and cheese in it, plenty of opportunity for melty sandwiches, maybe part of a breakfast hash with some potatoes and peppers?

If the pieces are big enough then wrap them around 1" squares of firm goats cheese, then gently fry on both sides until the jamon crisps and the cheese starts to ooze. Three each of these with a little salad make a great starter.

Edit: of course this can be done with prosciutto, serrano or and other thin sliced cured meat.

for simple, ham on biscuits - but drop biscuits vs. the rolled/more involved stuff.
drop biscuit shown, this is flour, salt, cut in butter, baking powder, milk. super simple/easy/fast.

omelets - saute a filling of tomato/onion/peppers/scallions/leeks (some, not all....) hold out the diced ham until the mix&add to omelet. or shredded cheese&diced-to-minced ham.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks MG I was wondering if there might be a use for it in a stew, I'll give it a try, I've made something very similar in the past but with Chorizo, I wonder if the ham softens as at the moment 'chunks' are a little tough on the dentures !

Thanks MG I was wondering if there might be a use for it in a stew, I'll give it a try, I've made something very similar in the past but with Chorizo, I wonder if the ham softens as at the moment 'chunks' are a little tough on the dentures !

I think it probably will soften. Not 100% sure though...

Off topic - I spent a large chunk of my retirement lump sum on dental implants - and I don't regret it!

Back
Top Bottom