Left Turn When Cooking

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
6:04 AM
I was wondering how often you guys and gals do this. When you start cooking something, and at some point in the process you decide to change your mind and go another route with your recipe, ingredients, ect.....

My example below isn't anything drastic. It had me thinking, so I thought I would ask.

I took out a beef stock this morning. I make my own. It is getting better each time I make it. My intent was to use half of it to make rice, and half of it to make a sautéed spinach/arugula. After it thawed, I tasted it. It is too darn good to use for rice and spinach. I decided to make meatball soup out of it. I of course I don't have any of the veggies that I want. Now I get to run to the grocery store lol. It will be worth it.

Good question - that never happens to me. I’m a planner. The closest I’d get to that might be where I have some red sauce in the fridge and I think, “I’ll make pizza with that tonight,” and then get lazy and just boil some pasta instead.

At that stage before starting cooking, maybe, but once I've started, since I've usually got everything ready and mise en place, no, I won't switch midway through.

I'm glad I made a left turn. This is pretty damn good.

PXL_20230402_151428131.jpg

I was wondering how often you guys and gals do this. When you start cooking something, and at some point in the process you decide to change your mind and go another route with your recipe, ingredients, ect.....

My example below isn't anything drastic. It had me thinking, so I thought I would ask.

I took out a beef stock this morning. I make my own. It is getting better each time I make it. My intent was to use half of it to make rice, and half of it to make a sautéed spinach/arugula. After it thawed, I tasted it. It is too darn good to use for rice and spinach. I decided to make meatball soup out of it. I of course I don't have any of the veggies that I want. Now I get to run to the grocery store lol. It will be worth it.
I've done it, but not too often.

Back
Top Bottom