Recipe Leftover Bake

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
3:23 PM
Left over bake.jpeg
Ingredients:
700g (1 1/2lb) mixed Christmas leftovers such as turkey, ham, sausagemeat, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, stuffing, carrots, peas – even sprouts if you wish! - cut into bite-size pieces
75g (3oz) grated Cheddar or another hard cheese
6tbsp Wholeberry Cranberry Sauce
10 large eggs
2tbsp olive oil
2tsp fresh thyme leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5.
  • Grease a large shallow baking dish or ovenproof frying pan with the olive oil.
  • Arrange the chopped leftovers in the dish with the cheese and add teaspoons of Wholeberry Cranberry Sauce spaced at regular intervals among the other ingredients.
  • Beat the eggs with the thyme and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pour over the ingredients in the dish and bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the eggs have set.
  • Serve hot or cold cut into wedges and accompany with salad.
TIP:
To check the eggs are cooked, push the point of a sharp knife into the thickest part of the omelette and no uncooked egg should run out.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/examvi...can-make-from-christmas-leftovers-304105.html
http://www.oceanspray.co.uk/Recipes...Leftover-Bake.aspx?courses=ChristmasLeftovers

We often make a 'Spanish omelette' at any time of year with our leftovers. It works well with greens and peas and the likes in there, though we put the onion chutney on the outside allowing the eater to control the sweetness/amount used, rather than the cranberry sauce you have suggested. It works really well and I can see this working well as well.

That looks good and I do always have some leftovers...so something like this might be quite tasty. It could fit the bill rather nicely I think. Thanks for sharing! I love the bits of cranberry in the dish..It gives it a festive sort of color. It si omehting you don't see every day.

We often make a 'Spanish omelette' at any time of year with our leftovers. It works well with greens and peas and the likes in there, though we put the onion chutney on the outside allowing the eater to control the sweetness/amount used, rather than the cranberry sauce you have suggested. It works really well and I can see this working well as well.
Yep! Its a spanish omelet. As I'm now hooked on food photography I noticed how carefully the ingredients had been arranged in the omelet. I suspect that most people making this would be disappointed in the appearance as it would be difficult to achieve! I may have a go (as a challenge). Have to wait until after Xmas to try it though!

I look at the picture and all I am thinking is this is perfection but I will never be able to achieve that 'perfect picture' even though I love the food photography. Maybe when I can slow it down a notch these projects are the kinds I will take my time to produce and execute with precision.

10 eggs?

Last edited:
I look at the picture and all I am thinking is this is perfection but I will never be able to achieve that 'perfect picture' even though I love the food photography. Maybe when I can slow it down a notch these project are the kinds I will take my time to produce and execute with precision.

10 eggs?

10 eggs is indeed a huge amount! Well spotted @Wintrybella. The recipe calls for 700g of 'leftovers'. Quite a lot. Nevertheless, ten eggs still seems a lot. When I try this recipe I'll cook half the quantity of the ingredients. - the proportions will remain the same. So, 350g of left overs and 5 eggs.

Last edited:
It'd be a large omelette, two pounds in weight, baked in an oven. Why is it tagged as an omelette?

10 eggs is indeed a huge amount! Well spotted @Wintrybella. The recipe calls for 700g of 'leftovers'. Quite a lot. Nevertheless, ten eggs still seems a lot. When I try this recipe I'll cook half the quantity of the ingredients. - the proportions will remain the same. So, 350g of left overs and 5 eggs.
We often make something similar. You need the 10 eggs to get the depth because of the size of the pan. We usually use a 14 inch diameter pan with straight sides and will use 10 eggs and a similar amount of veg to above. It does however serve us for 3 days, so I reckon the recipe is accurate other than the one single fact that it does not state how many people it serves! I would say 6. You have to remember this is based on a tortilla and is meant to be served as shown above, not as a single omelette for 1 person.

Back
Top Bottom