Leftover Swedish Meatball Sauce

Matilda

Local time
4:11 AM
Hi all. Haven't been here for a while. Have something strange. I have 2 LARGE cans (56 oz each) of Swedish Meatball Sauce. Had 3 but one went into a crockpot with meatballs.
Now we are meatballed out. Would like to come up with something, to use up some of the sauce. A pasta casserole (less Meatballs), some kind of soup, anything. Would like to use up the cans before they expire. Anyone have any ideas?

I´ve got no idea whatsoever about "Swedish meatball sauce". Never eaten them.
Can you show us a photo, or tell us what the ingredients are?

I´ve got no idea whatsoever about "Swedish meatball sauce". Never eaten them.
Can you show us a photo, or tell us what the ingredients are?
I've never made them but they're your basic meatball recipe with beef and pork, generally some bread and egg, some onion a few spices like allspice, nutmeg and the sauce is generally a beef based thicken sauce from a deglaze and stock thickened with flour and cream added. Not sure if that's what the these cans are but that's the general idea for a recipe.

Use some of it in a non-meatball meat pie? I’ve even seen Swedish meatball pizza (not that I would do that :laugh:), you could do that without the meatballs.

When I think gravy, all I can associate it with is meat (meatloaf, shepherd’s pie, beef stew)!

I've never made them but they're your basic meatball recipe with beef and pork, generally some bread and egg, some onion a few spices like allspice, nutmeg and the sauce is generally a beef based thicken sauce from a deglaze and stock thickened with flour and cream added. Not sure if that's what the these cans are but that's the general idea for a recipe.

That's what Swedish meatballs are, but Matilda has two cans of the sauce used with the meatballs, not the meatballs. I believe it is kind of a cream of mushroom based sauce.

That said, maybe a stroganoff.

CD

I agree with the stroganoff idea.

And often the dates on the can are just a generalized " best if used by" date and don't mean that they won't still be good after that date.

Back
Top Bottom