Recipe Lemon Chicken Medallions (China)

cookieee

Local time
6:23 AM
DH will be making this for dinner tonight.

Lemon Chicken Medallions (China)
serves 6 to 8

3 large chicken breast, skinned and boned
3 TB gin
1 TB. light soy sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. sugar
Peanut or corn oil for pan-frying
lemon slices, for garnish

Zesty Lemon-Gin Sauce:
4 TB. fresh lemon juice
2 TB. gin
1 tsp. grated ginger
1 1/2 TB. sugar
1 TB. honey
1/2 tsp. salt
zest of 1 lemon, cut into thin slivers
1 1/2 tsp. water chestnut flour or cornstarch
1/4 cup chicken stock

Batter:
3 large egg whites
3 TB. water chestnut flour or a.p. flour
3 TB cornstarch
1 TB black sesame seeds
1 tsp. salt

1. Cut breast across the grain into 1/2" thick slices. Pound into oval medallions about 1/4" thick. Combine the gin, soy sauce, salt and sugar in a bowl; add the chicken and marinate for 20 minutes.
2. Sauce: Combine the lemon juice, gin, ginger, sugar, honey, salt and zest in a saucepan. Cook over high heat until sugar and honey are dissolved. Stir the flour or cornstarch and stock together to make a smooth paste; stir the paste into the sauce and cook until thickened. Keep warm.
3. Heat the oven to 200F. To make the batter, beat the egg whites until frothy. Combine the flour, cornstarch, sesame seeds and salt and blend them lightly into the egg whites; do not overstir. Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat and add enough oil to coat the bottom. Drain the chicken medallions, and add the drained marinade to the sauce (if you cook the sauce again). Coat the chicken pieces with batter. Place a few medallions in the skillet, not touching each other. Fry until the bottoms are crisp and golden brown; turn them over and brown the other side. (about 3 min. total). The chicken should feel firm to the touch. Transfer to a serving plate and keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining medallions.
4. Reheat the sauce and pour it over the chicken. Garnish with the lemon slices. Serve hot.

Source: "Asian Appetizers" pub. 1991 - Joyce Jue

:meh: :whistling: Don't look at me. That is what the book said

OK, here is what the book said (ok, ok the book can't talk, here is what I read, geeze, so picky lol

Many Chinese cooks prefer to use water chestnut flour in place of cornstarch or flour as a coating or as part of a batter for deep-frying. It produces a lighter and crisper texture.
It also serves exceptionally well as a thickening agent in place of cornstarch. The flour is made from ground water chestnuts and is sold in plastic bags. It will keep indefinitely in an airtight container.

Last edited:
I've never heard of this - @Yorky, maybe its the answer to the large quantity of water chestnuts you said you have acquired? :D

I appear to have been exaggerating; there are only 947 gms. Still a lot and the idea of drying and grinding them into flour does not fill me with enthusiasm.

Water chestnuts s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom