Lemon Meringue Madness!

niemela23

Veteran
Local time
2:00 AM
I have some leftover scratch pie dough from a recent batch of meat pies, & am going to attempt the lemon filling tomorrow for a lemon meringue. I am hoping I don't fail horribly, lol... it's one of my family's favorites, as well as my own. Am wondering if anyone may have any tips, tricks, or 'DON'T DO'S that I should keep in mind?

As well, cornstarch is required in any recipe for the lemon filling that I've ever found, to thicken things, but I am wondering if anyone has ever omitted it altogether, or used a subsitute?

MOD EDIT: typo removed, just use the report button in future please and I'll get an alert and can correct it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I think you would need something as a thickening agent, unless you bought the filling already in the can. You could try a little bit of flour perhaps. I am not sure what else you could substitute for corn starch really. Maybe some of the experienced cooks on here, could help you out with that one. Lemon meringue pie sounds very good.

Well, I think you would need something as a thickening agent, unless you bought the filling already in the can. You could try a little bit of flour perhaps. I am not sure what else you could substitute for corn starch really. Maybe some of the experienced cooks on here, could help you out with that one. Lemon meringue pie sounds very good.

Thanks, kgord! I am looking forward to it. :)
I agree with you about the flour, that was my first thought... I may give it a try. Was thinking that if I use enough whisk-power, it might do the trick, lol.

I'm curious @niemela23 what did you end up using as a thickening agent and how did it turn out? I love lemon meringue and it's one of my husbands favorites but for some reason I don't make it often. I think I might make him one this weekend, but I'll have to think of something else for my son because he doesn't like lemon, too tart for him. Mind you he's only 4 years old but his face when he tried one for the first time was priceless.

I have used flour as a thickener when making soup which have called for cornstarch. Cornstarch is a little lighter than flour which can get very heavy and paste like quickly.

Back
Top Bottom