Recipe Lemon New York cheesecake

Windigo

Kitchen witch
Local time
2:00 PM
Website
www.instagram.com
Not claiming it's authentic because I have never been to New York but this is what I know as such. And it does taste wonderful!
20230314_202216.jpg

For 12 slices.
- 600 g cream cheese
- 200 g sour cream
- 200 g digestive biscuits or Graham crackers
- 100 g butter
- 175 g white sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 tbsp self raising flour
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp bourbon vanilla powder
Pinch of salt
Lined baking tin.

1) Zest and juice the lemon.
2) Melt the butter in a saucepan and let cool a little while you chop the biscuits to a fine crumb in the food processor. Mix the biscuit crumbs in a bowl with the melted butter, cinnamon, pinch of salt and the lemon zest. Make the base for the cheesecake with this in your baking tin. Set aside in the fridge for 15 minutes to harden the butter.
3). Preheat oven to 120 c upper and lower heat. Grab a big mixing bowl and mix the cream cheese, sour cream, eggs, vanilla, sugar, lemon juice and flour to a glossy drippy batter.
4) Pour the batter in the tin on top of the base mixture.
5) Place in the oven and bake for 90 minutes. Then let cool and place in fridge overnight. Enjoy the next day!

Yours looks so like one I made, just once.
(apologies for the derailing, but you'll laugh).

I remember I made in our final term of our final year at uni, it was a similar recipe but used 2 tubs of curd cheese and another of Philadelphia (cream cheese)... We had a hard time finding curd cheese, but we finally had all the ingredients together, having been buying them on a student budget, a couple of bits at a time each week until we had everything we needed. I baked all day, allowed it to cool, decorated it with fresh cream and fresh PYO (pick your own) strawberries that hubby had been out to pick that morning... I called him into the kitchen and heard a crash behind me as the cheesecake slid off the counter and landed face down on the carpet (and yes there was a dog in the house as well)...

We both say down on the floor, got the extra strawberries and cream out, forks and spoons and ate what we could until we were stuffed. The other two students in the house joined us... and the rottweiler assisted in the final act of clean up... it wasn't quite the presentation I had planned! Lol but we've never forgotten it.

Yours looks so like one I made, just once.
(apologies for the derailing, but you'll laugh).

I remember I made in our final term of our final year at uni, it was a similar recipe but used 2 tubs of curd cheese and another of Philadelphia (cream cheese)... We had a hard time finding curd cheese, but we finally had all the ingredients together, having been buying them on a student budget, a couple of bits at a time each week until we had everything we needed. I baked all day, allowed it to cool, decorated it with fresh cream and fresh PYO (pick your own) strawberries that hubby had been out to pick that morning... I called him into the kitchen and heard a crash behind me as the cheesecake slid off the counter and landed face down on the carpet (and yes there was a dog in the house as well)...

We both say down on the floor, got the extra strawberries and cream out, forks and spoons and ate what we could until we were stuffed. The other two students in the house joined us... and the rottweiler assisted in the final act of clean up... it wasn't quite the presentation I had planned! Lol but we've never forgotten it.
Well you made the most of a bad situation :laugh: , but didn't you feel sick after? 😯

Well you made the most of a bad situation :laugh: , but didn't you feel sick after? 😯
When you drop something big like that on the floor and eat the parts that aren’t in direct contact with the surface…that’s what we used to call “floor pie” when I was single and didn’t posses the level of sophistication I have now. :laugh:

You're talking to someone who used to be able to eat an entire tub of Häagen-Dazs ice cream (double choc chip) on a sitting and still have room for more.

Our son ate like a sparrow until 13. Wife took him to docs, who said he will eat when hes ready. About 6 months later he was costing us a fortune. Him and his friend used to demolish a 5 liter tub of ice cream.

When you drop something big like that on the floor and eat the parts that aren’t in direct contact with the surface…that’s what we used to call “floor pie” when I was single and didn’t posses the level of sophistication I have now. :laugh:

You wear nicer underwear when you retrieve the mail now? :D

CD

Not claiming it's authentic because I have never been to New York but this is what I know as such.

NY York Cheesecake is really a style of cheesecake, not a particular recipe. The biggest characteristic is the texture, IMO.

I can't see the inside, but it looks right on top. I can't really tell, but I think that is a spring form baking pan???

CD

NY York Cheesecake is really a style of cheesecake, not a particular recipe. The biggest characteristic is the texture, IMO.

I can't see the inside, but it looks right on top. I can't really tell, but I think that is a spring form baking pan???

CD
Citroen cheesecake punt.jpg

Here's a pic of the inside for you.

And yes I baked it in a spring form, and it comes out perfectly every time. Doesn't stick to the edge.

You're talking to someone who used to be able to eat an entire tub of Häagen-Dazs ice cream (double choc chip) on a sitting and still have room for more.
I have had BED (binge eating disorder) but was never able to eat such a large quantity of ONE thing. That always makes me feel sick, oddly enough, especially when it's sweet.

I have had BED (binge eating disorder) but was never able to eat such a large quantity of ONE thing. That always makes me feel sick, oddly enough, especially when it's sweet.
This wasn't an eating disorder, just a treat. Only a few shops sold my favourite flavour and getting any time to myself as a teenager with an infant brother & sister was hard, so my treat was a tin of my favourite icecream when we went to a certain holiday location. Once my sister (and later my brother) were both asleep, my treat was that tub of icecream they knew nothing about. (I would always go on ahead of my parents to open up the holiday home, light the fire and get the place warm, usually with my brother and sister in tow. They are 17 years and 14 years younger than I am). If I had to share it with them, it wasn't a treat because I'd spend most of my time separating warring parties. So once they were both asleep, water was turned on, and the fire and the aga both lit, I'd get a few hours to myself and with no TV signal, and the days before internet and mobile phones, I'd have an hour or so in front of the fire before my parents arrived with my other brother. Just a treat, indulgence not to be shared after a very long day of driving, packing and unpacking, sorting the food shopping and getting to the remote holiday house with an infant and toddler in tow.

This wasn't an eating disorder, just a treat. Only a few shops sold my favourite flavour and getting any time to myself as a teenager with an infant brother & sister was hard, so my treat was a tin of my favourite icecream when we went to a certain holiday location. Once my sister (and later my brother) were both asleep, my treat was that tub of icecream they knew nothing about. (I would always go on ahead of my parents to open up the holiday home, light the fire and get the place warm, usually with my brother and sister in tow. They are 17 years and 14 years younger than I am). If I had to share it with them, it wasn't a treat because I'd spend most of my time separating warring parties. So once they were both asleep, water was turned on, and the fire and the aga both lit, I'd get a few hours to myself and with no TV signal, and the days before internet and mobile phones, I'd have an hour or so in front of the fire before my parents arrived with my other brother. Just a treat, indulgence not to be shared after a very long day of driving, packing and unpacking, sorting the food shopping and getting to the remote holiday house with an infant and toddler in tow.
I didn't say it's an eating disorder you have ?? Not sure what is unclear about my post. I just said I can't finish such a big portion of one thing, even when I had a binge. I was talking about myself.. I can eat big portions but only of a variety of things.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom