Recipe Lemon pie ice cream

LissaC

Legendary Member
Local time
11:09 AM
91099662_3426332387380895_4693099344021159936_n.jpg

This recipe is one of my personal favorites. I try not to cook it often because I eat it all in one sitting.

- 2 egg yolks
- 125 ml lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
- 1 can evaporated milk (you can also use condensed milk which will make the ice cream sweeter)
- 250 heavy cream
- 125 milk
- 3 tablespoons fructose
- 3 tablespoons alcohol of your choice (either "tasteless" alcohol like vodka or something that goes well with lemon, like limoncello)
- 1 teaspoon gelatin sheet
- 100g biscuits of your choice
- 4 tablespoons margarine

1. Whisk eggs with lemon juice, lemon zest and fructose.
2. Get the evaporated milk, milk and cream in a pan. Let it heat until it simmers.
3. Take one cup of the milks mixture and whisk it into the eggs.
4. Now gently add the eggs to the milks, whisking continuously.
5. Get the mix in the stovetop for 3 - 5 minutes, whisking continuously with a hand mixer.
6. Hidrate and then melt the gelatin sheet. Add it to the mix along with the alcohol and a pinch of salt and mix with a spoon.
7. Let the mix cool overnight.
8. Get the mix in the ice cream maker. If you don't have an ice cream maker, get your ice cream in the freezer and stir it with a spoon every half hour for the first 4 hours.
9. Crunch the biscuits.
10. Melt margarine and mix it with the biscuits. You can layer this on top of the ice cream, as if it were a pie, or mix it in the ice cream. You must let it cool completely before you add to the rest of the ice cream.

My notes on this recipe:
* Fat, fructose, alcohol and gelatin all help the ice cream get a creamy texture. Go full fat for the milk and heavy cream; you can get low fat milk and cream but the ice cream will be less creamy. You can also use white sugar instead of fructose but the ice cream will be less creamy.
* I use evaporated milk instead of condensed milk because it has basically the same amount of fat, but less sugar. If you're using condensed milk, skip the fructose.
* The ice cream mixture must be fully cold before you get it into the ice cream maker. The box where you will store the ice cream must be cold as well.
* Feel free to play with the alcohol, but it will affect the ice cream flavor. You can use any alcohol that you think will go well here (like coffee or chocolate liquor).

Hope you enjoy this. I had to translate the recipe from portuguese so please forgive me if some things don't sound right.

Nice! I've not come across using gelatine in ice-cream. I imagine it adds to the gooey texture quite significantly. Usually its the egg yolks which thicken it in most Western recipes. There is a Midddle Eastern technique which uses mastic. In fact, I think it may be a Turkish thing - calling Hungry Man for clarification!

I find this article a really good guide to the chemistry of making ice cream. Basicallu both gelatin and alcohol are supposed to help keep ice crystals small, which turns into smoother ice cream.

Nice! I've not come across using gelatine in ice-cream. I imagine it adds to the gooey texture quite significantly. Usually its the egg yolks which thicken it in most Western recipes. There is a Midddle Eastern technique which uses mastic. In fact, I think it may be a Turkish thing - calling Hungry Man for clarification!
Sorry somehow I missed your message! Funny you mention I did eat ice cream with a very different texture (almost chewy) in Iran. I assumed it was the saffron but may be it’s the mastic!

Back
Top Bottom