Recipe Lentil and Sweetcorn Fritters with Yellow Beetroot, Tomatoes and Turmeric Eggs

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:07 PM
Lentil and Sweetcorn Fritters with Yellow Beetroot, Tomatoes and Turmeric Eggs
This recipe will make 4 small fritters, suitable for starter plates for 4. But you could make a bigger quantity of the mix for main course sized fritters. I went a bit wild with yellow colours for the accompanying salad! But of course, you could just make the fritters and serve them with whatever you wish. I used chana dhal (lentils) because they are yellow but other lentils would work. (serves 4 as a starter)

IMGP1423.jpg

photographed yesterday in daylight.

Ingredients
For the fritters:
150g chana dhal (yellow lentils)
4 tbsp sweetcorn
4 red birds eye chillies (finely chopped)
I x large egg yolk (beaten)
2 sticks of cinnamon
4 black cardamom
Salt to taste
Oil for frying

For the salad:

12 baby tomatoes (halved)
500g cooked yellow beetroots
100g caster sugar
200 ml white wine vinegar
4 hard-boiled eggs
4 tsp ground turmeric
3 tsp caster sugar
Basil oil (see
Sweetcorn, Potato and Ginger Soup for recipe)

Method

To make the fritters:
  • Cook the dhal in simmering water to which the cinnamon sticks and cardamon have been added.
  • Cook until soft (soaking overnight will speed the process) and all the water evaporates. Leave to completely cool in the pan. It should become quite dry. Remove the spices.
  • Mix the dhal with the sweetcorn and chillies, adding salt to taste. Add the egg yolk gradually to bind the mix. You may not need all of the yolk.
  • Form the mixture into 4 small fritters. I use cling film to help shape them. Place in the fridge until needed.
To make the turmeric eggs:
  • Place the peeled eggs in a large beaker or jar. Mix the turmeric and the 3 tsp sugar into a little boiled water to dissolve then add approx. 200 cold water and mix. Pour the liquid over the eggs and leave for several hours or overnight.
To make the quick pickled beetroot:
  • Cut the peeled yellow beetroots into cubes and put into a saucepan with 100g sugar, the vinegar and enough hot water to cover the beetroot pieces. Bring to the boil and cook for 3 minutes. Allow to cool and leave for at least 20 mins. You will have more beetroot than you need but it will keep for at least a week in the fridge.
Finally (!):
  • Drain the beetroot cubes and eggs, drying them with kitchen paper. Cut eggs in quarters. Assemble the beetroot, tomatoes and egg on the plates.
  • Shallow fry the fritters in a large frying pan for 3 - 4 minutes on each side, until golden. Drain on kitchen paper.
  • Add the fritters to the plates and drizzle with basil oil.
IMGP1431.jpg

Last edited:
Are your eggs soft boiled? They look very orange to me on my tablet. Or is it the absorption of the turmeric and sugar (why sugar?) does it affect the whites, as in colouring them.
They actually are this orange (nothing to do with turmeric). They can compete with @Yorky's eggs any day! They are Black Farmer eggs from Ocado. Not available anywhere else to my knowledge. I'm completely addicted to them and find myself shopping with Ocado just 'cos I need eggs. Tomorrow I'll post a photo of a raw Black Farmer egg next to an ordinary free range one. You will see...

@epicuric commented that he couldn't get eggs with yolks like @Yorky 's in the UK. Well... you can!

The eggs are not very hard boiled. About 8 minutes. Believe me, they are this orange.:dance: I love them. I think the chickens are corn fed but I don't know for sure. Re the sugar; it may not be necessary. I was trying to find a way of 'curing' the eggs without vinegar. I think the sugar has a subtle sweet taste but try it without! I'm always experimenting...

The longer you steep the eggs in the turmeric, the more the yellow will penetrate the egg whites. It can look very pretty.

Mod Edit:

I have copied this thread (with a few edits) to start a new discussion relating to the colouration of egg yolks. The new thread can be found here (https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/artifical-food-colouring-in-egg-yolks.8337/). We have no issues with threads going off-topic, but this off-topic discussion was quite interesting and deserved a new thread of its own. As such, we have deleted a few posts from this thread that were solely in relation to egg yolk colourings. Can you please resume the discussion in the new thread?

thanks
SNSSO
The Moderator Team

Back
Top Bottom