Recipe Lentils with Spinach, Tahini and Pomegranate Molasses

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:18 PM
This dish is somewhat inspired by a Palestinian dish called Rummaniyeh ( a stew of lentils with aubergine and pomegranate). Sometimes Rummaniyeh is served with a tahini and yoghurt dressing. Here I used tahini in the stew, to add a creaminess to the lentils which contrasts well with the sour note of the pomegranate molasses. The chilli used here is not a dominant taste but adds a pleasant background heat to the dish. Its very much a comfort food dish, I think. Serve with warm flatbreads of your choice. I made the flatbreads with a simple mix of self raising flour and plain yoghurt plus a pinch of salt.

Ingredients
250g cooked brown lentils plus some of their cooking liquor (this is equivalent to 125g dried lentils, before cooking)
1 tbsp oil for frying
1/2 large onion, chopped
2 large cloves of garlic, minced or grated
1 inch square piece of fresh ginger, grated
50 ml red wine
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 medium mild chilli, finely chopped
1 tbsp tahini
1/2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
Salt to taste
A very large handful of spinach leaves
Lightly pickled red onion, plain yoghurt and pomegranate powder or seeds, to dress (optional)

Method
  1. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the chopped onions and fry gently until they begin to caramelise. This will take at least 15 minutes.
  2. Add the garlic, ginger, chopped chilli, cumin and black pepper and fry gently for a few minutes.
  3. Add the red wine and the lentils. Heat gently for five minutes then add the tahini and pomegranate molasses. Simmer for ten minutes, stirring occasionally. If the lentils become too dry, add a little water. Add salt to taste.
  4. Stir in the spinach leaves and continue cooking until they wilt.
  5. Serve with the pickled red onion, yoghurt & a sprinkle of pomegranate powder or seeds.

Back
Top Bottom