Lieu Noir

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:55 PM
Anyone here know their fish? My friend who is staying in France ate Lieu Noir and wondered what it was. Obviously I Googled it but found slightly confusing answers depending on which website I visited. Is it Coley or Pollack or Saithe or all three? And what is Lieu Jaune which is also available in France.? :scratchhead::unsure:

I'm not 100% on this but lieu jaune is pollock and noir is a unspecified fish from the waters similar to pollock ,as a sardine is a small fish caught off Sardinia originally,
But as I've caught pollock and use it often see little resemblance to yellow,
I've not seen it in Normandy or Brittany restaurants or markets,but they have their own fish harvests to use first

I'm not 100% on this but lieu jaune is pollock and noir is a unspecified fish from the waters similar to pollock ,as a sardine is a small fish caught off Sardinia originally,
But as I've caught pollock and use it often see little resemblance to yellow,
I've not seen it in Normandy or Brittany restaurants or markets,but they have their own fish harvests to use first

It seems very confusing. Here, it seems, we use the word Pollock and Coley to mean the same fish. Thinking of Coley, whatever happened to that campaign back in 2008 (ish) to get us all eating Coley (or is it Pollock?) rather than Cod, due to over-fishing. Waitrose was campaigning at that time, I remember. Now I rarely see fresh Coley in the supermarkets.

It seems very confusing. Here, it seems, we use the word Pollock and Coley to mean the same fish. Thinking of Coley, whatever happened to that campaign back in 2008 (ish) to get us all eating Coley (or is it Pollock?) rather than Cod, due to over-fishing. Waitrose was campaigning at that time, I remember. Now I rarely see fresh Coley in the supermarkets.

Ok here's how's see it ,I phone my fish monger up ,he tells me what he's got on the board to sell ,pollock sells for me so take 4 fish ,local sustainable easy to sell ,he tells me he has coley ,or hake I always say no thanks it's what I would feed the cat on,but if it gets sold in a generic bundle of lieu noir used for boulabaise etc ,happy days it's a sellable commodity ,
Poetic licence of the French culinary language ,you catch all these types of fish what do you do with them,if no one buys them,it was the same as sardines ,it was small fish caught off Sardinia ,we expect different now,
I remember Hugh's revlution well,and the crispy makeral in the bun,and I do know my local summer fish well ,as we have a rib and fish off the Doset Coast ,summer is the time for pollock,mackerel ,gurnard,garfish ,a few bass ,
you got to use the cheaper fish as well as the bass

Ok here's how's see it ,I phone my fish monger up ,he tells me what he's got on the board to sell ,pollock sells for me so take 4 fish ,local sustainable easy to sell ,he tells me he has coley ,or hake I always say no thanks it's what I would feed the cat on,but if it gets sold in a generic bundle of lieu noir used for boulabaise etc ,happy days it's a sellable commodity ,

More confused. :unsure: Are you saying you would buy Pollock but not Coley, when they are, in fact, the same fish?

Last edited by a moderator:
No ! Just some of the cheaper fish gets bundled into selling basket and given a name ,every species has a name ,but if you can sell it under a umbrella name for mixes the fish sells, how often do you see hake or coley in a restaurant ?
But to bulk out fish pie or fish soup etc it then gets sold, fish on a whole is wild inconstant in size ,hauls and catches vary ,we just have to use it all,I will buy boulabaise mix for little money and then have to stand there and deal with it ,smaller fish,and low value fish

Spoke too ,two guys today about this,a French fish monger who said the two names are different types of pollock
And a chef who's first language is French and he took my view,as I say French culinary language can have a artistic temperament

Spoke too ,two guys today about this,a French fish monger who said the two names are different types of pollock
And a chef who's first language is French and he took my view,as I say French culinary language can have a artistic temperament
Yes, I understand. Lieu Noir sounds way more enticing than Coley! But as a Chef, do you think Coley is dull? I know customers don't want to buy it because of its name, but what do you think?

Yes, I understand. Lieu Noir sounds way more enticing than Coley! But as a Chef, do you think Coley is dull? I know customers don't want to buy it because of its name, but what do you think?
I would use it in a dish a stew or a soup but coley does not sell ,no fish is that cheap as most is a wild product ,so it has to sell

Back
Top Bottom