Lifestyle changes

Also I should mention I've been meditating steadily every evening for the past 3 years, I am currently on a streak of 610 days according to my app. It's a great way to improve mental focus during the day and also to unwind in the evening.

Otherwise I'm doing fine, I'm averaging 500 to 700 calories less consumed than I normally would so some weight loss should come even with all my challenging conditions making it difficult. I do struggle with my energy level, I'm sleeping nights of 10 hours or more and am still tired. No that's not from sleeping too much, it's fatigue from chronic illness. Not much can be done about that, doctors have no solution either. Fatigue is hard to deal with, it makes me unable to do a lot of things I want to do.

I'm glad you're doing well with calorie consumption, so as you say weight loss should come despite your difficult conditions.
On the other hand, I'm sorry that your tiredness is preventing you from doing the things you want to do. I won't even venture any advice because I don't know anything about it, I just hope that there will be a time when this condition will give you some respite.

I have never done meditation, although I am curious about it, but I know that it has lots of beneficial effects. I don't know how constant I would be in doing it because at a certain point in the evening I automatically collapse on the sofa no matter what kind of day I've had...I wouldn't be a good meditator :)

Also I should mention I've been meditating steadily every evening for the past 3 years, I am currently on a streak of 610 days according to my app. It's a great way to improve mental focus during the day and also to unwind in the evening.

Otherwise I'm doing fine, I'm averaging 500 to 700 calories less consumed than I normally would so some weight loss should come even with all my challenging conditions making it difficult. I do struggle with my energy level, I'm sleeping nights of 10 hours or more and am still tired. No that's not from sleeping too much, it's fatigue from chronic illness. Not much can be done about that, doctors have no solution either. Fatigue is hard to deal with, it makes me unable to do a lot of things I want to do.

I have really bad PTSD and I find music very calming. I usually stream Pandora meditation music during the day and to help me sleep. It really helps keep the nightmares at bay.

Like you, I have a few chronic illnesses and it is exhausting. I NEVER feel "rested". It doesn't matter how much sleep I get. It's not restorative. I regret all those years I worked myself too hard and endured my toxic family. It really took a toll on my body and mind.

However, today is a new day and I'm hopeful that tomorrow will be better and each day after that better than the day before.

Know that you are NOT alone. Gentle hugs.

I'm glad you're doing well with calorie consumption, so as you say weight loss should come despite your difficult conditions.
On the other hand, I'm sorry that your tiredness is preventing you from doing the things you want to do. I won't even venture any advice because I don't know anything about it, I just hope that there will be a time when this condition will give you some respite.

I have never done meditation, although I am curious about it, but I know that it has lots of beneficial effects. I don't know how constant I would be in doing it because at a certain point in the evening I automatically collapse on the sofa no matter what kind of day I've had...I wouldn't be a good meditator :)
Off topic...I can't believe that you have anxiety about your English. You are very well-spoken. ;-)

Off topic...I can't believe that you have anxiety about your English. You are very well-spoken. ;-)

Oh dear, this is so kind of you :love:
You make me smile! :happy: thank you

Written English is easier to handle, while spoken English...well, you know, I still have to work on it and being an insecure person who gets embarrassed easily, the combination of English and insecurity are not really in my favour. But as I said, I'm working on it. And anyway, I enjoy hearing myself speak in English. It's a language I really enjoy.
Sometimes I talk like a machine gun and when I'm in the UK, making lots of mistakes of course, but bravely launching into very long conversations with taxi drivers (usually from the airport to central London, so it's ok to have long conversations). I can't believe I've even talked about politics in English, haha. Who knows what I've really said :laugh:
Once a taxi driver corrected my pronunciation, but he did it in a such kind and cute way and apologised to me all the time that I found it so sweet and even helpful. Being correct is important to me.

Last edited:
I have really bad PTSD and I find music very calming. I usually stream Pandora meditation music during the day and to help me sleep. It really helps keep the nightmares at bay.

Like you, I have a few chronic illnesses and it is exhausting. I NEVER feel "rested". It doesn't matter how much sleep I get. It's not restorative. I regret all those years I worked myself too hard and endured my toxic family. It really took a toll on my body and mind.

However, today is a new day and I'm hopeful that tomorrow will be better and each day after that better than the day before.

Know that you are NOT alone. Gentle hugs.
Sorry to hear you deal with fatigue too, it's just difficult to never wake up feeling energised like you said. Takes a toll.

And thanks for your support, it's nice to hear from others who struggle with the same things. This board is great for positive support ❤ you guys make it so ❤

I also love nighttime streaming apps , I use calming nature sounds a lot too when I have trouble sleeping.

Maybe start listening to a calming piece of music or nature sounds conciously for 5 minutes a day?
Many people who start meditating make it too hard for themselves, 5 minutes a day is already a great starting point. Every bit longer takes practice.

Hopefully I will get more energy when I get into shape a little more, it can help at least a little.

Reactions: mjd
I am making a conscious effort to walk more, in the morning I take the long route to work, just over half an hour, my usual 20 minutes going home. Yesterday and today I walked over 10000 steps and aim to do that as much as possible, I drink a lot of water anyway, my problem is snacking and alcohol. With losing 2 family members within 6 months of each other my mental health has not been good hence the comfort eating/drinking, weight gain and just general feeling of bleugh.

Hopefully being amongst you warm supportive folk I can some motivation.

Maybe start listening to a calming piece of music or nature sounds conciously for 5 minutes a day?
Many people who start meditating make it too hard for themselves, 5 minutes a day is already a great starting point. Every bit longer takes practice.

That is interesting as lately I'm lying on the sofa in the afternoon and looking out of the doors into the garden - so my view is of trees and birds. Maybe I only do it for 5 minutes but I find it helps. I suppose its a kind of meditation.

Yesterday and today I walked over 10000 steps and aim to do that as much as possible, I drink a lot of water anyway, my problem is snacking and alcohol. With losing 2 family members within 6 months of each other my mental health has not been good hence the comfort eating/drinking, weight gain and just general feeling of bleugh.

Hey! Your walking is fantastic and you put me to shame. I need to get out and walk a bit every day. Tomorrow...

My diet problem is alcohol. Today I tried diluting wine with water which worked quite well and maybe halved my consumption for at least part of the day.

Oh dear, this is so kind of you :love:
You make me smile! :happy: thank you

Written English is easier to handle, while spoken English...well, you know, I still have to work on it and being an insecure person who gets embarrassed easily, the combination of English and insecurity are not really in my favour. But as I said, I'm working on it. And anyway, I enjoy hearing myself speak in English. It's a language I really enjoy.
Sometimes I talk like a machine gun and when I'm in the UK, making lots of mistakes of course, but bravely launching into very long conversations with taxi drivers (usually from the airport to central London, so it's ok to have long conversations). I can't believe I've even talked about politics in English, haha. Who knows what I've really said :laugh:
Once a taxi driver corrected my pronunciation, but he did it in a such kind and cute way and apologised to me all the time that I found it so sweet and even helpful. Being correct is important to me.
I should have written that you are well-WRITTEN. If you are even half as good at speaking English you are golden! ;-)

I am making a conscious effort to walk more, in the morning I take the long route to work, just over half an hour, my usual 20 minutes going home. Yesterday and today I walked over 10000 steps and aim to do that as much as possible, I drink a lot of water anyway, my problem is snacking and alcohol. With losing 2 family members within 6 months of each other my mental health has not been good hence the comfort eating/drinking, weight gain and just general feeling of bleugh.

Hopefully being amongst you warm supportive folk I can some motivation.
Wow! 10,000 steps. That's awesome!!!

Again, I am so sorry about your losses. I didn't mention it here but about two weeks after my cousin passed from COVID-19 his mom passed away. It's really hard grieving alone (I'm estranged from my family of origin). I completely understand and wish I could take away your sorrow.

I look forward to walking this journey with you and am cheering you on all the way from Chicago! ;-)

That is interesting as lately I'm lying on the sofa in the afternoon and looking out of the doors into the garden - so my view is of trees and birds. Maybe I only do it for 5 minutes but I find it helps. I suppose its a kind of meditation.
Yes, every little bit helps. For me anyway. My ex-h could sit and stare at a wall. I'd ask him what he was thinking about and he'd say "nothing." I have NO idea what that's like. My brain is constantly going. Music is my "escape" and "energizer".

Hey! Your walking is fantastic and you put me to shame. I need to get out and walk a bit every day. Tomorrow...

My diet problem is alcohol. Today I tried diluting wine with water which worked quite well and maybe halved my consumption for at least part of the day.
I used to dilute my wine with ginger ale or water. The ginger ale makes it taste more like a wine cooler.

I hope you are able to reach your goals with alcohol consumption. I completely stopped when I set up this topic.

Back
Top Bottom