Lifestyle changes

We posted at the same time again! Eerie. ;-)

Sounds like you're doing well. I totally believe "in moderation" is a good way to ease into changing one's habits. Maybe have a little piece of chocolate. I successfully weaned myself off Pepsi (used to drink a case a week!). I did it in quarter increments and it stuck.

I read about this study back when it came out...

According to a 2009 study published in the European Journal of Social Psychology, it takes 18 to 254 days for a person to form a new habit. The study also concluded that, on average, it takes 66 days for a new behavior to become automatic.

It's just now morning for me. I had some fruit and water.

ahha, I'd say we're well balanced in terms of timing too!

I'm glad you've weaned yourself off Pepsi (I've never had a passion for it or Coke), and I'm trying to do the same now with chocolate and bread. Without eliminating them, never, just setting them aside for a few days and then slowly reintegrating them. A piece of chocolate or even something more elaborate is good mental fuel (and I love chocolate, I don't want to deprive myself of it, the same goes for bread), but it's better to refuel when I know I can burn the calories.
Starting the day with fruit and water is perfect. We're off to a good start!

Fun fact:
while I was looking for pilates videos to send you, in the side bar there were recipes for apple pie, chocolate cake, baked macaroni.
"Okay not-so-subliminal messages, I will never give up.
Almonds, almonds, almonds, stay focused on the damn almonds." :laugh:

Last edited:
I started a regime of no more soda during weekdays. I have completed day 1 without issues 👍
I used to be addicted to Pepsi-Cola. I could go through a case, case and a half in week. I did a step down of 25% and it stuck. I have a soda every now and again (maybe 1 every six months or so) but never had a relapse.

It goes like this...

1. Drink 75% soda mixed with 25% water.
2. Drink 50% soda mixed with 50% water.
3. Drink 25% soda mixed with 75% water.

You listen to your body's cravings to know when to take the next step. The mind will adjust to the gradual change better than going cold turkey (which is why some people struggle with yo-yo dieting. It's too drastic).

I am cheering you on from the Midwest, USA!!!

I used to be addicted to Pepsi-Cola. I could go through a case, case and a half in week. I did a step down of 25% and it stuck. I have a soda every now and again (maybe 1 every six months or so) but never had a relapse.

It goes like this...

1. Drink 75% soda mixed with 25% water.
2. Drink 50% soda mixed with 50% water.
3. Drink 25% soda mixed with 75% water.

You listen to your body's cravings to know when to take the next step. The mind will adjust to the gradual change better than going cold turkey (which is why some people struggle with yo-yo dieting. It's too drastic).

I am cheering you on from the Midwest, USA!!!
Okay I am not that far in, I only drink one soda a day and no alcohol ever. But still, it's a useless habit and unnecessary calories so I intend to quit.
Thanks for the tips! :okay:

Reactions: mjd
Okay I am not that far in, I only drink one soda a day and no alcohol ever. But still, it's a useless habit and unnecessary calories so I intend to quit.
Thanks for the tips! :okay:

Great to hear!

I am giving up beer and wine. I don't really like beer but there is a brand that helps with my arthritis pain. So, I am going into this knowing that my pain is going to be higher pretty soon. Sigh. I only have a glass of wine a couple times per month. I've been thinking this is a bad time to give it up because of all the awesome sounding challenge recipes but I need to do this for myself so I'll forego them. Maybe, later down the road I'll make something and just have a taste but, right now, I want to stay focused on the end goal - a better and healthier lifestyle!

Great to hear!

I am giving up beer and wine. I don't really like beer but there is a brand that helps with my arthritis pain. So, I am going into this knowing that my pain is going to be higher pretty soon. Sigh. I only have a glass of wine a couple times per month. I've been thinking this is a bad time to give it up because of all the awesome sounding challenge recipes but I need to do this for myself so I'll forego them. Maybe, later down the road I'll make something and just have a taste but, right now, I want to stay focused on the end goal - a better and healthier lifestyle!
Yeah if you're tempted to drink your cooking wine it's better not to do it. I can have wine in the house for months and only use it for cooking. I just don't like to drink it.

Yeah if you're tempted to drink your cooking wine it's better not to do it. I can have wine in the house for months and only use it for cooking. I just don't like to drink it.
Oh, no. I'm not tempted to drink cooking wine. I just don't want to consume it in any form from now on.

Oh and I should add, the long term goal here is only soda at restaurant visits or holidays. But we've still got enough for a month if we only drink it in the weekends so we're finishing that off first.

Yesterday, I had a veggie burrito for lunch and a small piece of chicken breast with rice for dinner.

I drank 12 bottles of water throughout the day and didn't have any iced tea.

I couldn't try the exercises because of severe pain but I'm going to try to push through it today.

I think I'm going to go back to a regime I did ages ago. I will try to eat vegetarian for six days per week and have what I want (within reason, of course) the 7th day.

How are you all doing?

Back
Top Bottom