Lifestyle changes

mjd

I too, came from a dysfunctional family. Parents were divorced and my mom took care of six of us without much help, no alimony, no nothing from a drunkard father. I never got beat, but went through the poverty of that situation.

In my lifetime, I did my best to be independent and able to fend my own way - until age and physical geriatric degeneration and service related disabilities caught up with me. It came a time when things got the better of me and to no fault of my own got knocked down the ladder and suddenly, was forced to seek help. I was quite surprised to find that there were many, many people out there who were doing their best as a matter of personal responsibility to help other people out as part of their lifestyles. They were a godsend to me at the time.

I am of the type, where if I saw somebody needing immediate help, I always would, but generally did not volunteer on a daily basis to do things to help other people. For me to help this old guy is something that my spirit could not avoid.

I have in my time, saved lives, not because it was my profession to do so, but because I found myself in situations where the action on my part was necessary, sometimes, involving saving my own life from a perilous situation, as well. I don't go out looking for situations like that, but I have in my active life time found numerous occasions where, if I had not done something with instant response or thoughtful reaction, people would have perished. It is also not the first time that I have picked a fallen person up off the ground. A common cause for people falling is dehydration on hot days. Then, it is essential to get water to them and if possible, salt. It happens frequently to older people and by some odd chance, I have been at hand to help in such situations, more than a few times.

Have I ever had my own life saved by someone else? Yes. At least once by someone whose business was not to go about assisting other people that way and possibly another time, by medical professionals.

I have had a very active and action oriented life and today, I get out far less.

Can you possibly hire a college kid to stay with him so you can get out more?

We are in a pandemic here and nobody should be coming into the house. My own kids are local but don't come in either. I'm sure they will help if the pandemic ever becomes under control.

Being a caretaker for someone is exhausting work even in the best of times.

Oddly enough I'm not at all exhausted by it. He is easy. Its mainly boring! My drinking is a long standing thing and not connected to my present situation really.

Does your partner have good days sometimes? Can you two walk together? Maybe go to the park for a picnic?

Its planned for the summer to do that sometimes. Truth is, I value my time alone so when he goes out walking I stay here - its my cooking time and photography time. Maybe I will make an effort to go out myself once a day when he is out.

Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate it.

Doing okay. It's been rainy here so my allergies are going haywire. I ate a salad and had an orange yesterday. Got my exercises in and took it easy yesterday. I didn't sleep through the night but was able to go back to sleep a couple hours later. Just taking it one day at a time. It's all we can do, right?

How is everybody doing?

mjd

I too, came from a dysfunctional family. Parents were divorced and my mom took care of six of us without much help, no alimony, no nothing from a drunkard father. I never got beat, but went through the poverty of that situation.

In my lifetime, I did my best to be independent and able to fend my own way - until age and physical geriatric degeneration and service related disabilities caught up with me. It came a time when things got the better of me and to no fault of my own got knocked down the ladder and suddenly, was forced to seek help. I was quite surprised to find that there were many, many people out there who were doing their best as a matter of personal responsibility to help other people out as part of their lifestyles. They were a godsend to me at the time.

I am of the type, where if I saw somebody needing immediate help, I always would, but generally did not volunteer on a daily basis to do things to help other people. For me to help this old guy is something that my spirit could not avoid.

I have in my time, saved lives, not because it was my profession to do so, but because I found myself in situations where the action on my part was necessary, sometimes, involving saving my own life from a perilous situation, as well. I don't go out looking for situations like that, but I have in my active life time found numerous occasions where, if I had not done something with instant response or thoughtful reaction, people would have perished. It is also not the first time that I have picked a fallen person up off the ground. A common cause for people falling is dehydration on hot days. Then, it is essential to get water to them and if possible, salt. It happens frequently to older people and by some odd chance, I have been at hand to help in such situations, more than a few times.

Have I ever had my own life saved by someone else? Yes. At least once by someone whose business was not to go about assisting other people that way and possibly another time, by medical professionals.

I have had a very active and action oriented life and today, I get out far less.
It sounds like we have quite a bit in common. I try to help whenever I can. I feel like there must be a reason that a particular situation has been in my path and it's up to me to do the right thing. It's put me in a few dangerous spots but I had to do what I thought was right at the time.

It's funny how we ended up connecting on a cooking forum now that our lives are a bit less active. I guess it's true what they say - you meet the people you're supposed to meet at the right time! ;-)

It sounds like we have quite a bit in common. I try to help whenever I can. I feel like there must be a reason that a particular situation has been in my path and it's up to me to do the right thing. It's put me in a few dangerous spots but I had to do what I thought was right at the time.

It's funny how we ended up connecting on a cooking forum now that our lives are a bit less active. I guess it's true what they say - you meet the people you're supposed to meet at the right time! ;-)

I don't know about all that, but we do have the city of Chicago in common.

mjd
I am a late comer to your thread. Sounds like my goal. This is my year for self care. I have had cataract surgery on my right eye. Surgery on my left eye is scheduled for May 5th. Next I need to see a family practitioner. I know that will require a boob squeeze and an alien butt probe. Next is dental. I have many broken teeth and my front teeth are chipped. I have forgotten how to smile. I also need to lose at least 15 lbs. preferable 20 lbs. That means I have to get off of my butt and walk around the neighbor. Sigh! I am sooo lazy. I am on my way to Lowes to get landscape cloth for my garden boxes and paint sample for the outside wall we recently had changed.
I am glad to see that you are being so proactive. It speaks well for your mental health. You are doing great. Your growth and progress speaks well to this forum. You have found friends and encouragement. Love you mjd .

mjd
I am a late comer to your thread. Sounds like my goal. This is my year for self care. I have had cataract surgery on my right eye. Surgery on my left eye is scheduled for May 5th. Next I need to see a family practitioner. I know that will require a boob squeeze and an alien butt probe. Next is dental. I have many broken teeth and my front teeth are chipped. I have forgotten how to smile. I also need to lose at least 15 lbs. preferable 20 lbs. That means I have to get off of my butt and walk around the neighbor. Sigh! I am sooo lazy. I am on my way to Lowes to get landscape cloth for my garden boxes and paint sample for the outside wall we recently had changed.
I am glad to see that you are being so proactive. It speaks well for your mental health. You are doing great. Your growth and progress speaks well to this forum. You have found friends and encouragement. Love you mjd .
Hi there stranger!!! Long time, no see. I've missed you but was hoping you were just taking it easy and letting your body heal from your surgery. I am so glad it went well for you. Yeah!!!

Yes, I absolutely adore all the new friends I've made at CB. You all mean so much to me. Truth be told, there are some days I don't want to do anything close to exercising or eating right but I do it because of all the encouragement I get here. ;-)

Big hugs from Chicago! :hug: We'll be here when you're ready.

Doing okay. I had a salad for dinner and got my exercises in. I am getting better with breathing through the pain. I woke up around 3A but don't feel too tired. I'll try to go to bed a bit earlier tonight. I keep forgetting to turn on my meditation music. I might have to glue the earbuds in so I remember. Ha Ha.

How is everybody doing today?

Doing okay. I got a small reprieve from the tummy pain yesterday. I know not to take it for granted so I just had something light for dinner. Missed one round of exercises but got most of them done. Still forgot to put on meditation music before I went to bed (brain fog ;-) but I slept through the night. That's a rarity. I think the former anti-depressant contributed to my not feeling well. Since weaning I am feeling stronger.

How is everybody doing?

So I found out almost two weeks ago that I am likely allergic to cow's milk. It's been incredible!
I can now go out and excercise without being out of breath, so I reach my target every day!

Woohoo 😊 the general medical stance is that only medication can truly improve Asthma, but this has made clear that for me at least not consuming cows milk makes a big difference.

And other milks ( goat, buffalo,sheep) don't have the same effect on me so they can work as substitutes.

Back
Top Bottom