Lifestyle changes

Doing okay. I intended to write my update yesterday but was too tired. The physical therapist seems nice. She had to go through all my medications (literally looking at each bottle). I've had physical therapy at home in the past and that wasn't a requirement so I don't know.

She was here about two hours. I was sitting at my dining table with her but I had to move because I was in so much pain. I moved to the couch and eventually to my recliner. She did a physical exam and we talked a bit about what exercises I do on my own. She said they were not considered "light exercises" which would explain why my old hip injury flared up. She is coming back on Friday to finish the physical exam (I was near tears so she didn't do any of the reflex or strength testing). I'll know more about the exercise plan then.

She sent a message to my doctor's office because I am taking medication that is not listed on my doctor's list and I'm not taking some of the medications that are on their list. My doctor send me a message about tweaking my meds because of contraindications. I trust her judgment. My only concern is that I can't sleep without medications and I only sleep 4-5 WITH the medications. I'm going to wait for her recommended changes before I freak out about this. [I'm proud of myself for this. Normally, I'd go into panic mode and run through the streets like my hair is on fire. LOL. But, no, I'll deal with it when it arrives and go from there.].

P.S. MypinchofItaly, thanks for crossing everything for me. It worked! The physical therapist is a nice and thorough person. :hug:
P.S. Windigo, thanks for your encouragement. :hug:

Did you get a chance to watch that seminar? How was it?

I think it's pretty common for people to be emotional eaters. I know my mother has an eating disorder and she's been obese my whole life.

I'm the exact opposite. I'm a stress starver so I have to force myself to eat. I also have a very serious GI problem so sometimes I physically can't handle food. I keep a case of protein drinks for those days.

My current caregiver is an emotional eater. She also hates to cook so she eats quite a bit of fast food. We have lunch together on Tuesday and Thursdays. She will usually buy us lunch and I usually cook something on my day. It has been hard to do for a couple of months now just because of my health problems, mostly pain, but I hope to get back to it soon. I really enjoying cooking and miss all the times the kids and I cooked together.

As far as your walking, I'm a little unclear on your goal. Are you walking to lose weight or as a meditative tool or both? I'm curious about this because I wonder if you can possibly switch your timing. I'm going on the assumption that you are walking during the day so let me know if that's correct. What if you switched your walk to the evening so you are a little bit tired closer to bedtime?

It sounds like you are doing a great job and paying attention to your body and working around those pesky obstacles when they arise. It is clear this is very important for you and I am impressed by your dedication to your plan. Keep up the good work! You're doing great. :hug:
I'm not an emotional eater, I have a diagnosed eating disorder. Binge eating disorder - Wikipedia so basically, whenever I restrict food I have episodes where I can't control myself and eat too much. I don't have 'real' binges anymore as described in the article, but I do have problems with self control around food that go further than your average person without an eating disorder. One of my most prominent symptoms is food obsession, compulsively eating when not hungry and dulling my feelings with food. I have recovered for the most part, but now I am trying to lose weight it's all extra challenging for me especially due to the stress of my current family situation.

I cant switch my timing with walking, due to my chronic fatigue I am exhausted every evening. I usually sleep before 21.00 and don't wake up before 06.30. My best time of the day is the morning, usually if I don't get what must be done done in the mornings I usually can forget doing it the rest of the day. So I walk in the mornings. My goal with walking is reaching 10.000 steps, because I want to become fit enough to do aerobics again and become strong. My ultimate goal is to become an aerobics teacher.

Thank you for the kind words, I've been a little discouraged this week.. changing coping mechanisms is HARD :hug:

Reactions: mjd
Doing okay. I intended to write my update yesterday but was too tired. The physical therapist seems nice. She had to go through all my medications (literally looking at each bottle). I've had physical therapy at home in the past and that wasn't a requirement so I don't know.

She was here about two hours. I was sitting at my dining table with her but I had to move because I was in so much pain. I moved to the couch and eventually to my recliner. She did a physical exam and we talked a bit about what exercises I do on my own. She said they were not considered "light exercises" which would explain why my old hip injury flared up. She is coming back on Friday to finish the physical exam (I was near tears so she didn't do any of the reflex or strength testing). I'll know more about the exercise plan then.

She sent a message to my doctor's office because I am taking medication that is not listed on my doctor's list and I'm not taking some of the medications that are on their list. My doctor send me a message about tweaking my meds because of contraindications. I trust her judgment. My only concern is that I can't sleep without medications and I only sleep 4-5 WITH the medications. I'm going to wait for her recommended changes before I freak out about this. [I'm proud of myself for this. Normally, I'd go into panic mode and run through the streets like my hair is on fire. LOL. But, no, I'll deal with it when it arrives and go from there.].

P.S. MypinchofItaly, thanks for crossing everything for me. It worked! The physical therapist is a nice and thorough person. :hug:
P.S. Windigo, thanks for your encouragement. :hug:
I am really sorry to hear you're in so much pain :hug: but also very glad that you're getting the help you need!

Overestimating what is reasonable excercise is one of my downfalls too, I used to be a very fit and atheletic person before I got sick and I still expect the same fast results and push myself too hard. I'm glad you're getting evaluated and getting more reasonable excercises, maybe I should go to a phyisical therapist too. I'll go ask my GP.

Glad also that your doctors are corresponding about your meds, meds interacting can cause nasty effects when unregulated. Sorry to hear about your sleeping problems. Hope that gets better soon.

I'm not an emotional eater, I have a diagnosed eating disorder. Binge eating disorder - Wikipedia so basically, whenever I restrict food I have episodes where I can't control myself and eat too much. I don't have 'real' binges anymore as described in the article, but I do have problems with self control around food that go further than your average person without an eating disorder. One of my most prominent symptoms is food obsession, compulsively eating when not hungry and dulling my feelings with food. I have recovered for the most part, but now I am trying to lose weight it's all extra challenging for me especially due to the stress of my current family situation.

I cant switch my timing with walking, due to my chronic fatigue I am exhausted every evening. I usually sleep before 21.00 and don't wake up before 06.30. My best time of the day is the morning, usually if I don't get what must be done done in the mornings I usually can forget doing it the rest of the day. So I walk in the mornings. My goal with walking is reaching 10.000 steps, because I want to become fit enough to do aerobics again and become strong. My ultimate goal is to become an aerobics teacher.

Thank you for the kind words, I've been a little discouraged this week.. changing coping mechanisms is HARD :hug:
I didn't mean to imply you were an emotional eater. I was just sharing that I know what it's like to have a love-hate relationship with food because I've witnessed it many times over.

Please don't take this the wrong way as I would never intentionally hurt anyone but from the outside looking in, it seems you are beating yourself up a bit. It's very hard to be objective in one's own mind so I encourage you to go back through this thread and re-read some of your posts. The woman I *see* is committed, strong, resilient and loving. Just take a glance at your earlier posts. That woman is clearly represented.

Some extra hugs for you, my dear. Remember that you are NOT alone. :hug: :hug::):mad::love::love:

I am really sorry to hear you're in so much pain :hug: but also very glad that you're getting the help you need!

Overestimating what is reasonable excercise is one of my downfalls too, I used to be a very fit and atheletic person before I got sick and I still expect the same fast results and push myself too hard. I'm glad you're getting evaluated and getting more reasonable excercises, maybe I should go to a phyisical therapist too. I'll go ask my GP.

Glad also that your doctors are corresponding about your meds, meds interacting can cause nasty effects when unregulated. Sorry to hear about your sleeping problems. Hope that gets better soon.
Thanks for your kind words. I am also glad that I am getting the support I need. As the one who is always taking care of others, it still feels a bit weird to be on the receiving.

My insomnia probably won't get better. I've been going on 4-5 hours of sleep for over 20 years now. I think my lack of restorative sleep is the primary reason I developed chronic fatigue.

I am hopeful that your doctor will consider you having physical therapy. We are our own best advocates and hopefully that leads to finding doctors that want to work with us on our journeys.

Doing okay. I didn't sleep much but it's the heat that's driving me bonkers. It's in the 90s today. A/C is on. I was hoping to get started on rearranging my bedroom but I'm in too much pain to do it today. I don't like the idea but we had inspections last week and I'm not allowed to have my recliner near the window (in case of fire). I'll worry about that later. I'm not going to risk hurting myself and ending up in the ER again.

How is everybody doing today?

Please don't take this the wrong way as I would never intentionally hurt anyone but from the outside looking in, it seems you are beating yourself up a bit. It's very hard to be objective in one's own mind so I encourage you to go back through this thread and re-read some of your posts. The woman I *see* is committed, strong, resilient and loving. Just take a glance at your earlier posts. That woman is clearly represented.

Some extra hugs for you, my dear. Remember that you are NOT alone. :hug: :hug::):mad::love::love:
:hug:you're right! I am, it's hard for me not to. It's the disorder telling me I'm not doing enough :scratchhead:my husband tells me the same things you do, thanks so much for the encouragement! 💖

My insomnia probably won't get better. I've been going on 4-5 hours of sleep for over 20 years now. I think my lack of restorative sleep is the primary reason I developed chronic fatigue.
That sounds difficult to live with, my husband has the same problem. He's currently using meds for it for the first time in his life and they seem to help, but he's struggling a lot because of it. I don't have restful sleep often myself, so I know how difficult it is. I am sorry you are affected this badly. :hug:

:hug:you're right! I am, it's hard for me not to. It's the disorder telling me I'm not doing enough :scratchhead:my husband tells me the same things you do, thanks so much for the encouragement! 💖
You're welcome, sweetheart.

Tell your hubby I said "thanks for encouraging my friend." ;-) :love:

That sounds difficult to live with, my husband has the same problem. He's currently using meds for it for the first time in his life and they seem to help, but he's struggling a lot because of it. I don't have restful sleep often myself, so I know how difficult it is. I am sorry you are affected this badly. :hug:
Thank you. Yes, it's hard but I've learned to adapt a bit. When I had my children we would always play a game after dinner. I'd give them hot tea (Sleepy-time tea) so they could relax. I put their jammies in the dryer so they would be toasty warm after their baths. Then, I'd stream calming music through the tv and also used aromatherapy. I'd do the same thing for my husband if he had had a bad day.

The silliest part is that I never felt burdened by doing that for my children and husband but I don't even come close to doing all that for myself. :whistling:

You guys were right! I'm beating myself up over nothing, just weighed in and hit the milestone of my first 10 lbs lost! That means there's a lower starting number on the scales in kilograms.. Yay!
That is so awesome. Told you "you got this!" Yeah!

Feel like roadkill. My physical therapist came this morning and I crash afterward. I never sleep during the day but my body was spent. It was in the 90s today and a thunderstorm is coming so it's humid too. I have a window A/C but it cools the whole apartment. Luckily it has a remote so I don't have to walk over to it. I'm getting much better about using my walker indoors. No falls today. Yippee.

How is everybody doing?

Back
Top Bottom