Lifestyle changes

I have to admit I am letting myself go a little bit with the chocolate intake. Not having at work, but my partner got a gift from a friend and we are both there shoulder to shoulder with it 😅😅

On the other side, I have started again to track my steps to have an idea on where I am in terms of activity. Every day I walk 10,000+ and I end up normally between 12,000-13,000. Not bad!

I played football again on Thursday after 18 months shielding from most of my social life due to the pandemic. It was nice to meet with the guys again (we've been playing together since 2018) and, surprisingly, I found myself in a very good physical state considering I have not done any sport since last December-muscle memory maybe? That day, by the day, my Fitbit showed 26000 steps at the end of the day :hyper:

I am taking a week off work next one so I will see if I can do some running. Just getting back to my pre-pandemic habits.

Never surrender people!

Doing okay. I woke up three times and didn't try to fight it. I just got up and worked on some computer stuff until I got sleepy again. I've been under some stress here lately. I called my counselor last night and she helped me put things in perspective. I've been really focusing on staying in the moment versus worrying about things I can't change or fix. I'm proud of myself because that would have been impossible for me to shut it down in the past.

How is everybody doing?

I have to admit I am letting myself go a little bit with the chocolate intake. Not having at work, but my partner got a gift from a friend and we are both there shoulder to shoulder with it 😅😅

On the other side, I have started again to track my steps to have an idea on where I am in terms of activity. Every day I walk 10,000+ and I end up normally between 12,000-13,000. Not bad!

I played football again on Thursday after 18 months shielding from most of my social life due to the pandemic. It was nice to meet with the guys again (we've been playing together since 2018) and, surprisingly, I found myself in a very good physical state considering I have not done any sport since last December-muscle memory maybe? That day, by the day, my Fitbit showed 26000 steps at the end of the day :hyper:

I am taking a week off work next one so I will see if I can do some running. Just getting back to my pre-pandemic habits.

Never surrender people!
It sounds like you are on the right track! I don't believe I've ever walked 26,000 step in my lifetime let alone a day! That is amazing.

What kind of running do you do?

Doing okay. I woke up three times and didn't try to fight it. I just got up and worked on some computer stuff until I got sleepy again. I've been under some stress here lately. I called my counselor last night and she helped me put things in perspective. I've been really focusing on staying in the moment versus worrying about things I can't change or fix. I'm proud of myself because that would have been impossible for me to shut it down in the past.

How is everybody doing?

Failing miserably, still eat too much :(

It is very easy to keep thinking about the past and all the negative stuff that has happened, we all know the forward is the best way. PM me any time x

It is very easy to keep thinking about the past and all the negative stuff that has happened, we all know the forward is the best way. PM me any time x
Is there anything I can do to help you reach your goals? You are not alone. :hug:

Doing okay. Woke up around 2A. Yesterday was a bit hard (dealing with family stuff) but I'll survive. I text my counselor who helped me understand that I am not to blame for what happened. That helped a lot because I know it intellectually. I struggle with it emotionally. My goal is to continue to get stronger so I can be there for my kids whenever they need me to pick up the pieces. Very strong motivator.

I can't believe we're in the middle of June already. Did this year just swoosh by for anybody else?

How is everybody doing?

Hello folks. My first post here, I admit I hadn't paid attention to this thread until this weekend. Wishing everyone every bit of health on their respective roads to health, happiness, healing (physical, mental, spiritual - any or all).

I guess the thing I'll talk about here and now is the need to re-lose some weight. 33 pounds according to my current goal from the scale. While I am definitely overweight, I am also six foot one tall - so I can more or less carry it. But it has to go - not feeling my optimal self.

I started gaining after selling the old home in September 2019 - back that previous spring as I'd prepared to move up here for good - yes, I already lived up here, but I still owned my old house and was going through it to clean things out - I'd gone through all my old slacks and jeans, and discarded (either into the trash or to a donation center, depending on condition) anything that didn't fit rather than move them. By late that year some of the things that had fit no longer did so. The season of COVID didn't help, of course.

Moving was interesting. It took three trips with a small self-drive rental van (there is a limit to the size of something I'll personally drive), plus many trips as I went back and forth with my SUV to get me, books (I also sorted through those), all sorts of carp up here. That was good exercise. Built up my arm muscles. Probably kept my weight down where I wanted it, more or less.

Probably having chickens to tend has indeed helped me - but tending chickens is not that much of an energy use. Periodically, I carry bags of feed out to them. Now that the temps are well above freezing, I am often collecting their water from strategically placed buckets under their metal coop roofing systems. I really want to get more yardwork and gardening done, but Tick Season this year has been extreme - it never got cold enough these past two winters to kill enough of the horrendous, disease carrying things out. Yardwork and gardening is a time-honored way to exercise without having to join a gym pulsating with terribly bad music. (Not to mention COVID closing gyms for most of the past year here.) But...I keep delaying... ticks. (I have found 8 so far that came in on me, and ended up on my warmer-bodied cat! Since I've started checking me more intensively, only one of those has been recent. I've lost count on me, but they've also declined in number.)

I do think there is one issue with heavy exercise - being over-energetic causes one to be more hungry/hangry than before. And "starving" oneself is a method to doom oneself to long-term failure. I'm not looking for short term "fixes".

But actual real exercise - like actual outdoor activities - is both more satisfying (to me) than say, running on a treadmill like a hamster with nothing whatsoever to look at - TV does NOT count. You are, after all, getting something useful DONE.

More in a second post... Either today or tomorrow - my Internet of late is getting very dodgy by late afternoon into night. I CANNOT WAIT until I can get cable here!

Last edited:
I guess the thing I'll talk about here and now is the need to re-lose some weight. 33 pounds according to my current goal from the scale. While I am definitely overweight, I am also six foot one tall - so I can more or less carry it. But it has to go - not feeling my optimal self.

Losing weight is also something I'm trying to do too. As others here know, my downfall is alcohol. With food I can easily stick to 1000 calories a day which definitely works for almost anyone wanting to lose weight. Add in the drink and of course it increases to beyond 2000 which is not going to lose me any weight.

Exercise is great but in my experience doesn't really burn off lots of calories unless its really intense - and I think I'm well past the age where I can do that. Exercise does really help with mood though.

I have managed to lose some weight in the last few weeks but that is largely due to stress (I think) and eating far less than 1000 calories. Yeah, I know... its not a healthy way to go.

Mostly okay. This was a tough weekend but I survived. Got about five hours of sleep so I'm chronically tired. I'm hoping that my family stress abates soon and I can focus on my personal goals. One thing I want to remind myself and you is that this is a process and progress is not about how much *more* we can do, but learning to how to focus on the things that matter and doing what we can, even baby steps, to reach our individual goals.

My goal today is not let my family drag me into family drama. I don't have the mental or physical bandwidth to deal with that. I've finally accepted that it's impossible for them to care about me and that' all there is. No point in going to a dry well. And, I know, within this moment that I have friends that genuinely care for me. It's YOU who makes a difference in my life and I cherish it every single day.

How are you all doing today?

Mostly okay. This was a tough weekend but I survived. Got about five hours of sleep so I'm chronically tired. I'm hoping that my family stress abates soon and I can focus on my personal goals. One thing I want to remind myself and you is that this is a process and progress is not about how much *more* we can do, but learning to how to focus on the things that matter and doing what we can, even baby steps, to reach our individual goals.

My goal today is not let my family drag me into family drama. I don't have the mental or physical bandwidth to deal with that. I've finally accepted that it's impossible for them to care about me and that' all there is. No point in going to a dry well. And, I know, within this moment that I have friends that genuinely care for me. It's YOU who makes a difference in my life and I cherish it every single day.

How are you all doing today?

Such a wise and self care mindset, focusing on people who really care for you, the close ones you meet everyday and those who are far away but think of you

Really wanted to sit down and type up (on the laptop, better suited for real thought than a phone) some more things. But between today's storms (we do NEED the rain) and the current internet system, it didn't happen. I am currently in the parking lot of the community center using their wifi to type this. I was at the local breakfast/lunch dinery earlier today - on the phone, there. Things I want to add, but need to have a sit down and to be able to TYPE effectively.

Will try tomorrow.

Really wanted to sit down and type up (on the laptop, better suited for real thought than a phone) some more things. But between today's storms (we do NEED the rain) and the current internet system, it didn't happen. I am currently in the parking lot of the community center using their wifi to type this. I was at the local breakfast/lunch dinery earlier today - on the phone, there. Things I want to add, but need to have a sit down and to be able to TYPE effectively.

Will try tomorrow.

I think I'd be unable to cope if I had your internet. I'm very dependent on it, not least because of this forum. Thank you for letting us know. Hope you can get a better signal tomorrow.

:hug: sure you heard this before: but eating more protein helps. I feel much more satiated since I do that, I struggled with hunger intensely in the first weeks of my diet.

Back
Top Bottom