Lifestyle changes

I have not been very active for a while. I do occasionally check in but have not participated.
A couple of weeks ago Baby Sis hosted a wine tasting party. Lots of fun and good wine.
Mother has early stage dementia. She will be 90 August 11. We were planning a large outdoor party to celebrate Mother. With the resurgence of Covid the party is on hold until further notice. We do not want the celebration of Mother to turn into a Covid soup.
G had a heart valve replacement in '08. Since then he has had EKG's and Echograms. G had his annual check up with his cardiologist 3 weeks ago. Dr. ordered a Nuclear Stress Test. Test result showed blockage. G had to get off of Warfarin for 6 days before an angiogram could be done. The angiogram was done Monday afternoon. Two arteries had 80% blockage. One anterior, one posterior. Dr. cleared the arteries and inserted three stints. There were no rooms available in the hospital so he spent the night in an ER room. We were home by 8:30 Tuesday morning. His groin is black from bruising. Other than that he feels fine. My cooking is now very lean and green. We are walking 30 minutes every day. Good for both of us.
I have taken all of the junk food out of the house - chips, cookies chocolates - out of the house. There is still lots of cheese in the fridge. Not a bad thing unless G rummages and sneaks unscheduled snacks.
Our walks will help me. I gained 20 lbs. since the start of the pandemic. I lost 4 stress lbs. since Monday. I am looking forward to loosing more.
I have not been active and have only checked in every now and then but I do think of you all often. It is kind of crazy. A group of strangers with a common interest have become a large part of my life. I talk about you and your amazing recipes with my family. My sisters have visited the site looking for recipes.
You are all in my thoughts. You are my inspiration. :hug: to you all.

Good to hear from you. Perhaps you can write some heart-healthy cajun recipes to share. Is heart-healthy and cajun possible? :scratchhead:

CD

I have taken all of the junk food out of the house - chips, cookies chocolates - out of the house. There is still lots of cheese in the fridge. Not a bad thing unless G rummages and sneaks unscheduled snacks.
Our walks will help me. I gained 20 lbs. since the start of the pandemic. I lost 4 stress lbs. since Monday. I am looking forward to loosing more.
I have not been active and have only checked in every now and then but I do think of you all often.

Good to hear from you. I moved your post to this thread because this is an ongoing thread where members are sharing lifestyle changes. Good luck with your new lifestyle!

ElizabethB - so good to hear from you! I always worry when regulars stop posting for a while.

Best wishes to you and G on losing weight and getting a bit more heart-healthy, and give your mom a hug from us. My mom turned 83 day before yesterday, and when I talked to her, she said two things:

1. I just want to live forever!
2. I've got to go fry some bacon now.

Hmmmm...

Take care, check in when you can! :hug:

Thank you all for your kind wishes. The walking is really a good thing for both of us. G has been pretty good about staying out of the kitchen. I need to make a run to the supermarket for snacks - Greek yogurt, fruit, raw veggies, stuff like that.
Good to hear from you. Perhaps you can write some heart-healthy cajun recipes to share. Is heart-healthy and cajun possible? :scratchhead:

CD

We had gumbo from the freezer without rice. I do the same thing with other dishes that are typically eaten with rice. Basically skip the rice, reduce the portion size and augment the meal with salad and veggies. We have been sticking to chicken and fish rather than red meat. Beef is not completely off the table just limited. All is good. Broiling, grilling and roasting are the primary methods of cooking. I have a venison roast defrosting for tomorrow. That will be braised.
I do miss pasta and potatoes.

I've now lost 16.76 lbs (7.6 kg) total, so I am getting close to my goal of at least losing 10 kg! And my BMI is in a lower category, which makes me feel good. The intermittent fasting is clearly helping. I am slowly losing, but losing I still am.

I've reached 7500 steps today, and am reaching that more often than not. The 10.000 steps a day are getting closer!

I have not used a pedometer so I don't know distance. 30 minutes a day. After a week we are walking a block and a half further in the same amount of time. G has lost 5 lbs. I have not lost an ounce. I do have more strength in my legs which is a good thing. August is a terrible month to start a walking routine in south Louisiana. We have to walk early. Out by 7 is best. 8 is tolerable. 9 is too late. We just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I've been so uninspired with cooking lately, I feel like I've hit a stumbling block. I suppose it is because my youngest stepson is here for the holidays, we're starting the third week now and he's staying until sunday sep 5th. Of course it's not his fault, but all the extra work feeding him and doing extra work around the house takes the 'extra' energy I normally have to be creative in the kitchen.

That's the reality of chronic illness, the more I have to do the less time I can spend on doing anything relaxing for myself besided lying in bed in pain. Right now my mornings are active and the afternoons spend in bed in pain, because I also want to relieve my still burned-out husband from his chores where I can. AND not lose my physical progress, so am trying to still walk every day.
The weight I've lost is staying off, so I guess I am doing something right there.

But right now I'm pretty tired and overwhelmed, so I'll be happy if it's just part time caring for the stepson again because I just can't have all of it on my plate at the same time.

I haven't posted recently but I am getting there slowly. But I really want to know why my husband is losing weight on my diet and more to the point, more weight than me!

But my weight is finally back in the 'healthy' range not that it is really because i carry the fat around my middle, not on my hips. But I have finally lost 20kg. Not all this year by a long shot, in fact I've been trying for 3 years now, hampered my parents being stranded here for 6 months and also by me falling and being off my feet totally non-weight bearing for 5 months.

I've still got another 7 kg to go though, but I'm now in 4 sizes smaller than before and all of my hand knitted socks are now too loose and I need to reknit them! Guess that gives me something to do for the next 12 months!

Hubby is looking a lot better and is 3 waist sizes down on this time last year as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom