Lifestyle changes

I haven't posted recently but I am getting there slowly. But I really want to know why my husband is losing weight on my diet and more to the point, more weight than me!

But my weight is finally back in the 'healthy' range not that it is really because i carry the fat around my middle, not on my hips. But I have finally lost 20kg. Not all this year by a long shot, in fact I've been trying for 3 years now, hampered my parents being stranded here for 6 months and also by me falling and being off my feet totally non-weight bearing for 5 months.

I've still got another 7 kg to go though, but I'm now in 4 sizes smaller than before and all of my hand knitted socks are now too loose and I need to reknit them! Guess that gives me sunbathing to do for the next 12 months!

Hubby is looking a lot better and is 3 waist sizes down on this time last year as well.
Well done with everything you're going through, don't be too harsh on yourself!

I walked and stood for 3 hours on a guided tour yesterday, there were no seats almost anywhere so the website was wrong about it being suited for 'all people with disabilities'. I'm paying for that with a lot of pain now, but am glad to report I could do it while it lasted.

I also have a tennis elbow on top of it, so that's not great. Typing hurts, so I am keeping this short.

Well done with everything you're going through, don't be too harsh on yourself!

I walked and stood for 3 hours on a guided tour yesterday, there were no seats almost anywhere so the website was wrong about it being suited for 'all people with disabilities'. I'm paying for that with a lot of pain now, but am glad to report I could do it while it lasted.

I also have a tennis elbow on top of it, so that's not great. Typing hurts, so I am keeping this short.
My problem has always been that I can (usually) do it. I just pay for it afterwards.

Once the ground dries out a touch I need to start the spring planting. Hubby has finally redone the door on the cold frame/ chicken proof area for the seedlings. He did it so you lifted it up from the ground... yeah. I couldn't climb under it to reach anything let alone climb under it whilst holding it up as well. Tactful suggestions of a conventional barn door/ double door system were made. He's now done that but with lift off hinges so that doors can be taken off completely. So I can start cleaning up and seeing what has survived the winter. Plus planting the strawberries and raspberries I've purchased. The potatoes will have to wait. The ground is too waterlogged for them to survive. strawberries can go in pots and the raspberries will be fine in waterlogged ground (the other canes are ready to take off once the warmer days start in the next week or two). All of my fruit trees are on the point of bursting into flower.

Seeds need to be sewn and ground readied but I need to dig out the flooded chicken coop first... yuck! It has never flooded before. Usually we need a dust mask to clean it out. This time we need wellies...

My problem has always been that I can (usually) do it. I just pay for it afterwards.

Once the ground dries out a touch I need to start the spring planting. Hubby has finally redone the door on the cold frame/ chicken proof area for the seedlings. He did it so you lifted it up from the ground... yeah. I couldn't climb under it to reach anything let alone climb under it whilst holding it up as well. Tactful suggestions of a conventional barn door/ double door system were made. He's now done that but with lift off hinges so that doors can be taken off completely. So I can start cleaning up and seeing what has survived the winter. Plus planting the strawberries and raspberries I've purchased. The potatoes will have to wait. The ground is too waterlogged for them to survive. strawberries can go in pots and the raspberries will be fine in waterlogged ground (the other canes are ready to take off once the warmer days start in the next week or two). All of my fruit trees are on the point of bursting into flower.

Seeds need to be sewn and ground readied but I need to dig out the flooded chicken coop first... yuck! It has never flooded before. Usually we need a dust mask to clean it out. This time we need wellies...
I am sorry to hear this. How are you doing now?

I am OK, I had a lot of chronic pain this week so the cooking has taken a backseat though I was able to cook about twice. I've figured out that whole grain pasta doesn't cause me problems, so there's at least one whole grain product I can eat. Yay for my health!

The weight loss has stalled for a while, but I've lost 16 lbs and kept it off all summer so that's great. The doctor says it's better to loose a little and keep it off, than get a lot off in record time and regain it. I'm keeping concious of my oil use and try to still remain aware of what I eat, so far it's worked without my ED getting triggered once.

Walking hasn't been that great this week, I've been out 4 days but stayed home three, which is not ideal but the pain I've been having has been quite bad because it's now my hernia AND the tennis arm. Just trying to keep calm so hopefully next week will be better.

I analyzed my current diet and changed some minor things. Now I'm eating and calculating a lot. 60g of protein, 200g of carbohydrates (100g fruits or juice/100g starch), 60g fat (EVOO), herbs when I can get them, spices, supplements (minerals, vitamins, health benefits) every day. Not to much of coffee/tea/cocoa, no alcohol when it's not for health benefits, avoid refined sugar, don't eat to to much to fast, eat at the same time every day.

I analyzed my current diet and changed some minor things. Now I'm eating and calculating a lot. 60g of protein, 200g of carbohydrates (100g fruits or juice/100g starch), 60g fat (EVOO), herbs when I can get them, spices, supplements (minerals, vitamins, health benefits) every day. Not to much of coffee/tea/cocoa, no alcohol when it's not for health benefits, avoid refined sugar, don't eat to to much to fast, eat at the same time every day.
Looking at you photo, you look like a perfectly normal young man. (I look like a weird terrier :dance:). I believe that excessive food monitoring and dieting have adverse health effects - and so do lavish supplements. If you eat more or less than you should, move or do sports just a bit more and/or find interesting, time-consuming hobbies which take attention away from your body, eating and food. Do things which make you happy and keep you away from self-monitoring: which keep you on your feet, hungry (in a healthy manner) and busy without "thinking". It's ok even to have junk food and alcohol every now and then. If you have established health problems related to over- or underweight, emotional eating or else, gradually change your diet without monitoring or calculating every bite. Personally, I'd like to flush all health bracelets, food scales, minute clocks, pedometers and heart rate monitors down the toilet.

I've seen too many cases in which a sports crazy dietitian - either skinny or overweight - has suffered a stroke, heart attack, pulmonary embolism or kidney failure despite all the healthy lifestyles, marathons, dietary efforts and self-observation. Overweight and unhealthy food cause risks and problems, but so do stress hormones and anxiety. Life is full of surprises and can never be maneuvered perfectly. Shit happens, as do (not avoidable) genetic factors. Good things happen, too, if you let them happen. Enjoy life and have a beer or a snack now and then! That said..., we're all individuals and careful monitoring may work for some people. Not for me :ninja:.

Last edited:
(... )Shit happens, as do (not avoidable) genetic factors. Good things happen, too, if you let them happen. Enjoy life and have a beer or a snack now and then! That said..., we're all individuals and careful monitoring may work for some people. Not for me :ninja:.
I did just begin with my diet and I believe everyone of us is following his own path, I did choose to observe my food for the moment and I don't know for how long I'll be doing it.

I did just begin with my diet and I believe everyone of us is following his own path, I did choose to observe my food for the moment and I don't know for how long I'll be doing it.
Sure, kudos for starting a diet (and being your own person). This is a lifestyle change thread to start with - and you've made (probably very healthy) adjustments to your eating habits, so way to go. Good luck with your experiment. I just pointed out my subjective opinion.
Generally speaking, moderation (no extremities) works best in most fields of life.

In other words, I still try to understand food, what it makes with our body is just one part of it. Food has these variables and every variable has the same weight: nutrition, looks/aroma, taste, ecological, tradition, economy, social.

EDIT: what I mean with the effects on our body is not only count the calories.
it's how much is the maximum size of one meal, so our stomach won't get problems digesting it, or the effects plants like ginger have on us, why is our body odor effected by meat or garlic etc.

Last edited:
In other words, I still try to understand food, what it makes with our body is just one part of it. Food has these variables and every variable has the same weight: nutrition, looks/aroma, taste, ecological, tradition, economy, social.

EDIT: what I mean with the effects on our body is not only count the calories.
it's how much is the maximum size of one meal, so our stomach won't get problems digesting it, or the effects plants like ginger have on us, why is our body odor effected by meat or garlic etc.
I'm sorry if I sounded like a grandma "teaching" earlier. That wasn't my point. You mentioned really important food-related factors, which (I guess) most CB are interested in - at least to some extent. Many just don' t stop to think at them so deeply and thoroughly as you do.

Childhood memories, emotional issues (stress, traumatic experiences, previous disappointments, the company in which we share food), social habits, the influence of social context and marketing, cultural background, gastro-intestinal factors; personal metabolism, eating and chewing pace/rate and regularity, portion size, other senses (scents, visual factors; food layout, colors and shapes etc.), the quality of food, surroundings (hygiene, atmoshpere, scenery etc.), possible allergies or immune responses and personal preferences all affect the way in which we take in and digest food.

History tells that people can survive even lengthy famine or poor dietary choices but health effects, bad memories and/or emotional issues may follow. On the other hand, obese junk food eaters tend to die young or end up reducing their stomachs. Please tell other CB members what observations you make (regarding your body-mind gestalt/whole) during the current diet. You could also consider further studies (scientific research) in the field of psychology and nutrition 👍.

Last edited:
My weigh in for my op put me at 64.4kg. I might manage to get another kg off before the op yet. But that means I've lost over 23kg.

The biggest challenge will be not to put too much back on whilst in hospital either immediately after the op or the even more difficult time during inpatient rehab. Both previous stays in inpatient rehab caused me to put a lot of weight on. In fact they were actually why I was overweight in the first place! 3rd time lucky. Not likely. The diet choices for the menu on they online booking form for the hospital didn't even have vegan as an option!

But I'm going to try really hard. Really really hard because I don't want 3 years of hard work lost.

Are you looking to lose weight with these numbers? Your protein intake appears low but not sure what you weigh, age that kind of thing. Avoiding refined sugar is for sure a good thing considering added sugar is generally attached to highly processed foods but I should mention the body does not differentiate between added sugar and natural sugars and half you carb intake is from fruit or juice which to the body is mostly sugar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom