Lifestyle changes

mjd

Veteran
Local time
6:49 AM
I moved our conversations over here because I assumed that @MorningGlory would do it anyway. ;-)

You are such a sweet Lady 🌸
I am glad your caregiver helps you!

I was thinking to start on next Monday, my mind is focusing too much on weight so I think is better for me to start soon...
My goal is to forget snacks/chocolate/too much carbs in non-conventional hours especially in the evenings when is normally more difficult to dispose of sugars (simple and complex ones).
I would lose at least 6/7 kg within the end of March.
However, I’m going to see the Dry January thread now 👍🏻😊

As are you, dear. :love:

My caregiver is an angel. I am so fortunate to have her. Although, I think some of my problem is she is constantly bringing me chocolate and sweets. It's easier for me to avoid them if they aren't in the house. I've tried talking to her about it, to no avail. Now, I just don't touch that stuff when she brings it.

Monday will work for me. I'm ready to get started doing something. I, too, am getting my mind bogged down by this.

My goal is to exercise more (at home), start eating breakfast regularly, wean off medications with weight gain as a side-effect and minimize my stress load.

I moved our conversation over here because I assumed @MorningGlory would do it anyway. ;-)
I wanted to have 1 last blow out to celebrate laying dad to rest, but don't think it would benefit me in any way so not going to happen.

It might be a good idea to do it anyway. That way you don't feel like you are depriving yourself. In my experience, the human mind doesn't "like" feeling deprived so it's easier to ease into lifestyle changes versus trying to do a head first dive into them. It's an easier adjustment.

I moved our conversations over here because I assumed that @MorningGlory would do it anyway. ;-)

As are you, dear. :love:

My caregiver is an angel. I am so fortunate to have her. Although, I think some of my problem is she is constantly bringing me chocolate and sweets. It's easier for me to avoid them if they aren't in the house. I've tried talking to her about it, to no avail. Now, I just don't touch that stuff when she brings it.

Monday will work for me. I'm ready to get started doing something. I, too, am getting my mind bogged down by this.

My goal is to exercise more (at home), start eating breakfast regularly, wean off medications with weight gain as a side-effect and minimize my stress load.

Start eating breakfast I think it’s a good idea, and by my side I’ll start again to avoid bread when eating carbs or at least not mixing them. I have always followed this habit but I’ve removed it lately. Need to come back to my good habit.

I usually exercise 20 mins a day. A gentle fitness time, I combine mostly yoga and pilates but I do abdominals too and weights - 2 kg, so very manageable, just to give a call to muscles without become like Hulk Hogan 😅

Going out for walks with my dog is a good help too.

But I necessarily need to cut carbs and chocolate

Last edited:
Start eating breakfast I think it’s a good idea, and by my side I’ll start again to avoid bread when eating carbs or at least not mixing them. I have always followed this habit but I’ve removed it lately. Need to come back to my good habit.

I usually exercise 20 mins a day. A gentle fitness time, I combine mostly yoga and pilates but I do abdominals too and weights - 2 kg, so very manageable, just to give a call to muscles without become like Hulk Hogan 😅

Going out for walks with my dog is a good help too.

But I necessarily need to cut carbs and chocolate
That sounds like a good plan. I try to avoid bread and milk products because of some GI issues. Sometimes I just endure the pain but not too often. Every time I get sick I tell myself I'm going to throw away ALL my food and never eat again. LOL

I have a case of protein drinks and some baby food (for when I can't hold anything down) so there is a "safety net" there.

I like the idea of light workouts. I have advanced arthritis so I have pain every day. I don't take narcotics because of the side-effects on the body.

I think I will look up Pilates and beginner yoga and start there. Are there any that you would suggest?

I'm sure having a dog helps quite a bit with walking.

I only leave my apartment when my caregiver is here and she hates walking. It's too dangerous for me to walk alone because I fall quite a bit. I have a cane, walker and wheelchair for the really bad days but they are so annoying. LOL

It looks like your Monday will come before mine (about 7 hours apart?) so I'll bid you "Good luck" starting for tomorrow.

We can do this!!!

That sounds like a good plan. I try to avoid bread and milk products because of some GI issues. Sometimes I just endure the pain but not too often. Every time I get sick I tell myself I'm going to throw away ALL my food and never eat again. LOL

I have a case of protein drinks and some baby food (for when I can't hold anything down) so there is a "safety net" there.

I like the idea of light workouts. I have advanced arthritis so I have pain every day. I don't take narcotics because of the side-effects on the body.

I think I will look up Pilates and beginner yoga and start there. Are there any that you would suggest?

I'm sure having a dog helps quite a bit with walking.

I only leave my apartment when my caregiver is here and she hates walking. It's too dangerous for me to walk alone because I fall quite a bit. I have a cane, walker and wheelchair for the really bad days but they are so annoying. LOL

It looks like your Monday will come before mine (about 7 hours apart?) so I'll bid you "Good luck" starting for tomorrow.

We can do this!!!

I'm sorry you have these pains, it must be a bit hard to bear. I hope that some gentle exercise will somehow ease it and give you a little help.
What I do as pilates is the basic level, very quiet and gentle. It's total body, mainly stretching exercises as well as abs and glutes and arms. As I can no longer go to the gym at pilates class and don't have the equipment at home, what I can do is exercise using the yoga mat. Or there's an exercise I do for my arms and shoulders where I literally push the wall with my hands doing 3 sets of 5 minutes each. Sooner or later I will move it! :banghead:

I'll look for something for you on basic pilates to do, maybe with some videos even better.

I have to correct myself on cutting carbs as well as chocolate. I'm not going to cut them out, I just need to put them back into my daily diet better.

Yes my Monday will start before yours! Thanks and good luck to you too!
We will definitely can do this, together is better! :hug:

I'm eating a bunch of almonds as mid-afternoon snack. Not chocolate or crisps as my mind suggested me about a dozen times in the last half an hour. Nope. Only healthy, light, good (damned!) almonds :D
I guess we were posting at the same time. I love almonds too. Good start!

I ate a banana and Clementine. On my third bottle of water (luckily, I like water).

Hi MypinchofItaly, checking on you. How are you doing today?

Mixed feelings, but I'm coping pretty well at the moment.
I had a light brekky, then a long walk with my dog enjoying the sunny morning, a balanced meal with basmati rice and turmeric chicken, no bread. And now...a bunch of almonds.
I had several temptations from the chocolate in my pantry, it was looking for me. But I said no. So I chose almonds.
Ouch :cry:
As soon as I've finished some chores, I'll do my exercises.

What about you?

I guess we were posting at the same time. I love almonds too. Good start!

I ate a banana and Clementine. On my third bottle of water (luckily, I like water).

Ah yes, we were posting in the same time!
Brava :bravo:
Third bottle of water? wow, you are incredible. Now that I think about it, I drank about only two glasses of water.
Thanks for the tip because sometimes I forget to drink. I'll catch up now.

Mixed feelings, but I'm coping pretty well at the moment.
I had a light brekky, then a long walk with my dog enjoying the sunny morning, a balanced meal with basmati rice and turmeric chicken, no bread. And now...a bunch of almonds.
I had several temptations from the chocolate in my pantry, it was looking for me. But I said no. So I chose almonds.
Ouch :cry:
As soon as I've finished some chores, I'll do my exercises.

What about you?
We posted at the same time again! Eerie. ;-)

Sounds like you're doing well. I totally believe "in moderation" is a good way to ease into changing one's habits. Maybe have a little piece of chocolate. I successfully weaned myself off Pepsi (used to drink a case a week!). I did it in quarter increments and it stuck.

I read about this study back when it came out...

According to a 2009 study published in the European Journal of Social Psychology, it takes 18 to 254 days for a person to form a new habit. The study also concluded that, on average, it takes 66 days for a new behavior to become automatic.

It's just now morning for me. I had some fruit and water.

Back
Top Bottom