Light vs. Dark

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
9:51 PM
I mean bird meat, not Jedi.

I recently discovered canned turkey meat at my grocery store, which boasted being a good replacement for tuna in everything. It's costs more than tuna for less volume, though I prefer the taste of turkey to tuna--whether it's the light meat, dark meat, or skin, as a roast or as cured ham. Turkey's good.

It would only be a substitute for tuna, though, if it were only white meat in the can. Which would be fine. I like cubes of white poultry meat in my mushroom carbonara.

When it comes to the combination of turkey and cranberry, I definitely prefer the dark meat (the leg and thigh meat which require more oxygen because they're worked more.)

My preference is the white meat but I also like the dark. Generally I save the dark meat for when I make my turkey soups but I will eat either one with no problem.

I assumed you were going to be talking about chocolate myself.

I'd say maybe stay away from canned turkey, it sounds a little bit dodgy to be honest...Saying that, I prefer white over dark myself. I think. I can't actually remember what the difference is, or example.

I agree about the canned turkey thing. Canned meat in general just seems very weird to me and not appealing at all. I am not a fan of turkey unless its deli turkey. I love the white meat in chicken though. Its about all I will eat when it comes to chicken.

I agree about the canned turkey thing. Canned meat in general just seems very weird to me and not appealing at all.

You mean this doesn't look good enough to eat?

Canned-Whole-Chicken.jpg

Wow, that looks horrifying.

The canned turkey that I found was just like a short little tuna can, filled with shreds of the white meat. Not whatever that monstrosity is!

Oh my goodness who knew so many things come in a can. That is rather disturbing, definitely an image I won't be able to get out of my head for some time. I prefer the light meat. I think a lot of that comes from that is what my mom made when we were growing up so i grew used to it. I have been told dark meat is more flavorful but I don't care for the texture so I will stick with light meat.

I enjoy dark meat. It tends to have more flavor I think and it is juicy. White meat tends to be dry, but mainly because people don't know how to cook it. If it is still juicy I'll eat it, but I prefer dark meat the most.

I am not a fan of canned poultry at all. A friend of mine loves canned chicken and makes enchiladas with it all the time for us - and we can barely stomach them, but don't want to be rude either. I believe if you price it out per pound, you are still better off buying the meat fresh and cooking and portioning it off yourself. Plus you don't have to deal with mushy meat and all those preservatives, as well as the metallic taste. I often see large fresh turkey breasts for sale at our grocery stores at cheap prices. For some reason they just aren't as popular during the non-holiday months. But you can certainly throw one in the oven and gently roast it on a Saturday afternoon, and have plenty of leftover meat to use in a variety of dishes throughout the week - lunchmeat sandwiches, diced over salads, in pasta dishes, etc...

Do you not like tuna at all, or just not the taste of canned tuna? Because fresh tuna isn't all that expensive either if you get it shrink wrapped and frozen. It's wonderful grilled rare, so it's still pink in the middle. Or you can cook it all the way and flake it up for meals. I love it with some pasta, garlic, olive oil, fresh parsley, salt and pepper.

Back
Top Bottom