Recipe Lightly Spiced Carrot Soup

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
2:33 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I rather like this recipe, though I tend to make a few adjustments... It is based around the recipe that can be found here (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/12276/lightly-spiced-carrot-soup), but I don't like orange in soups, so don't include it and have adapted the recipe to suit my tastes.

Ingredients
  • 1tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • knob of fresh root ginger, grated
  • 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
  • 1tsp mild curry powder,
  • Juice of half a lime
  • 1kg carrots, trimmed and sliced
  • 1 lemongrass stalk, bashed
  • 200ml pouch (1/2 a can) of coconut milk (or use coconut cream/ordinary cream)
  • 700ml vegetable stock
Method
  1. Heat the oil in a large pan with a lid. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli and cook for 3-5 mins until softening.
  2. Stir in the curry powder, mix well and then add the carrots, lime juice and lemongrass.
  3. Cover and cook over a low heat for 10 mins.
  4. Combine the coconut milk with the vegetable stock and add most of it to the pan.
  5. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 15 mins until the carrots are really soft.
  6. Now remove from the heat and allow to cool until it is safe to process the mixture with either a hand blender or a food processor/liquidiser and puree until smooth.
  7. Return to the heat, warm and add more stock as needed to thin.
  8. Serve with chunks of crusty bread - we like honey and sunflower seed bread with this one.

This sounds easy enough. I am trying to sit it out for now and see what others are offering before I come in for the win. I have never worked with lemon grass before but I know it's around. So maybe this is one I could try.

This sounds easy enough. I am trying to sit it out for now and see what others are offering before I come in for the win. I have never worked with lemon grass before but I know it's around. So maybe this is one I could try.
Potassium Blast was easy enough.

This sounds quite good. I have never had it before but I have had squash soup and pumpkin soup. Both of which were very good. I am not much of a soup person but I do like something that is unique and different and this just may be it. With the cooler weather now here, soup is always a good way to warm up.

Well I'm sitting it out a bit too. I want some other people to join in! I reckon you could come up with something that would appeal to @classic33 (although, who knows, where the guru is concerned?)

I'm always on the lookout for new soup recipes at this time of year - and I can't believe I haven't already used the humble carrot for a soup yet. I've done plenty of pumpkin and sweet potato based soups, but poor old carrots have fallen to the wayside! Gotta change that up a bit, and see about giving something like this a try!

Just my way of keeping an eye on the entries!

I was Sneezy yesterday.
hope it hasn't developed into anything today. I have been reasonably lucky so far but had to have a dr's appointment last week. I selected the first appointment on the morning at one of the quieter surgeries... so far so good.

Also, just click on the tag. I keep track of new posts and add them to it as needed. Until the site is much busier I'll continue to do so. I just want someone else to post something at the moment! I have a few other ideas, but may just post them and not enter them if you get my meaning!

Oh and if you are looking for something to do, I want to rearrange the smilies into a better order, so if you have any thoughts on which would better further up the list, drop me a PM please. thanks.

hope it hasn't developed into anything today. I have been reasonably lucky so far but had to have a dr's appointment last week. I selected the first appointment on the morning at one of the quieter surgeries... so far so good.

Also, just click on the tag. I keep track of new posts and add them to it as needed. Until the site is much busier I'll continue to do so. I just want someone else to post something at the moment! I have a few other ideas, but may just post them and not enter them if you get my meaning!

Oh and if you are looking for something to do, I want to rearrange the smilies into a better order, so if you have any thoughts on which would better further up the list, drop me a PM please. thanks.
I'll be Doc on Friday

Back
Top Bottom