Recipe Lime Mojo

CraigC

Guru
Local time
6:07 AM
This was part of last nights dinner. I used it as a basting sauce over the skirt steak while cooking and as a serving sauce with the fajitas. Mojo made with limes is probably the most popular in Cuban cooking. Cubans probably would exclude the jalapenos, but I likes them.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 cup Spanish olive oil
1/4 cup minced seeded jalapeño chilies
12 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons Sherry wine vinegar

Stir cumin in a heavy skillet, over medium-low heat until fragrant, about 4 minutes. Then grind in a spice grinder until completely ground.

Heat oil in heavy large saucepan until thermometer registers 175°F (do not boil). Remove from heat. Mix in cumin, jalapeño, garlic, salt and pepper, then fresh lime juice, chopped cilantro and vinegar. Cool completely.

Last edited:
Stir cumin in a heavy skillet, over medium-low heat until fragrant, about 4 minutes. Then grind in a spice grinder until completely ground.

You mean whole cumin seeds in the recipe I think.

Mix in cumin, jalapeño, garlic, salt and pepper, then fresh lime juice, chopped cilantro and vinegar. Cool completely.

I've never come across this technique of adding everything including lime juice and vinegar to hot oil. Fascinating.

You mean whole cumin seeds in the recipe I think.

I've never come across this technique of adding everything including lime juice and vinegar to hot oil. Fascinating.

Yes, he did, but he'll have to edit it.

That happens a lot in Cuban cuisine at least. One of my favorite recipes, palomillo steak, marinates the steak in sliced onions, lime juice, s and p, and sometimes cumin, then you blot steak dry, saute it in oil briefly, remove steak, then dump the entire marinade in the hot oil, saute, then serve over steak.

No, it is ground cumin. The first instruction is for making fresh, ground cumin.

OK - I was reading the recipe in a formal way. Normally the list of ingredients would say 'whole cumin' if the instructions include how to toast and grind it. I'm being pedantic! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom