Little green caterpillars in vegetables. Are they just a fact of life?

vernplum

Veteran
Local time
2:47 PM
I soak my broccoli, cauliflower and related vegetables in a large bowl of water with half a teaspoon of vinegar in to get the critters out. There's usually at least one and here's a little fella that emerged today - about 8mm in length. Those cruciferous vegetables seem to have more nooks and crannies for then to be in - especially broccoli.

IMG_9197.jpg

I read years ago that Australians eat a higher than average amount of them as we are a salad eating culture. I just try not to think about it too much and maybe the extra protein is a bonus?

Yeah, they're a fact of life...
Some heads of broccoli/cauliflower are worse than others, but I look on the bright side. It does mean less pesticides in your veg.

In my home grown stuff, we'll pick half a dozen or so out, so I invert the broccoli on water and they climb out to be picked off, then I'll shake the broccoli well. Home grown heads of broccoli are not as compact as supermarket bought stuff, so they shake out quite easily.

I also have a session a couple of times a week picking caterpillars off my brassicas and my chooks love them. They'll fight each other over them if they can. I'll throw the caterpillars out of the veg plot, so they chooks have to hunt for them. Less fighting that way.

I soak my broccoli, cauliflower and related vegetables in a large bowl of water with half a teaspoon of vinegar in to get the critters out. There's usually at least one and here's a little fella that emerged today - about 8mm in length. Those cruciferous vegetables seem to have more nooks and crannies for then to be in - especially broccoli.
I use(d) "floating row covers" - very lightweight spun bond(?) fabric that is a physical barrier to the cabbage moth/worms....
usually not a perfect solution, but really cut back the 'infestations' - organic, no chemicals...

Maybe its the fact that I buy from the supermarket but I've never come across any caterpillars in cauli or broccoli. Either that, or my eye sight is failing! I don't even wash those vegetables either.

We went to dinner with a group of folks when we still lived in Southern Arizona and one of the gals in our party ordered an Entrée Salad... the server put it down in front of her and she just sat there - mesmerized - staring at her Salad - "Terry, are you okay?" - I was sitting next to her - after a coupla beats she just points - this humongous Caterpillar was having a grand ole time - swimin' around in the dressing, munching on the greens - "oh waiter" 🙋‍♀️

:laugh:

Yeah, they're a fact of life...
Some heads of broccoli/cauliflower are worse than others, but I look on the bright side. It does mean less pesticides in your veg.

In my home grown stuff, we'll pick half a dozen or so out, so I invert the broccoli on water and they climb out to be picked off, then I'll shake the broccoli well. Home grown heads of broccoli are not as compact as supermarket bought stuff, so they shake out quite easily.

I also have a session a couple of times a week picking caterpillars off my brassicas and my chooks love them. They'll fight each other over them if they can. I'll throw the caterpillars out of the veg plot, so they chooks have to hunt for them. Less fighting that way.
How big are they?

We went to dinner with a group of folks when we still lived in Southern Arizona and one of the gals in our party ordered an Entrée Salad... the server put it down in front of her and she just sat there - mesmerized - staring at her Salad - "Terry, are you okay?" - I was sitting next to her - after a coupla beats she just points - this humongous Caterpillar was having a grand ole time - swimin' around in the dressing, munching on the greens - "oh waiter" 🙋‍♀️

:laugh:
I bought a packet of ready-to-eat salad from Marks & Spencer once and when I got home, I opened it and immediately saw a one inch white and black striped caterpillar.

I freaked and dropped the pack on the floor. When I mustered the courage to look in again I counted at least ten of the little beasties in there. If I’d had a flame thrower….

Back
Top Bottom